The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to handle this... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I am working 5 restaurants at this time. Here is what is starting to take place. I am getting so much return business and people coming in because they hear about me that I am having a hard time keeping up. Each night I work it gets busier and busier. Tonight we went on a wait and I had a table leave and I had not seen them yet. They told the manager that they came in just to see me and I did not get there. You might think this is a good problem but the flip side is people might stop coming because they know it is so busy. I tried to make my visit fast but they want to talk and spend time with me. Anyone have any ideas to help? Most of the time I am only doing 1 effect like sponge balls or a silk routine. I am not open to hiring a second person. I am there for 2 hours 6-8 Tuesdays.
Thanks
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Some magicians (generally at more upscale restaurants) have diners specifically request their services at a given time. If your restaurants are amenable to this it may help you out; at least this way your regulars will know exactly when you'll be at their table and for how long.

Good luck!
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
The people that were came to see you were the people who made it possible for you to be there on Tuesdays 6-8.Any return customer of mine I try to make priority and I would like to suggest the same to you.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Working at a tourist restaraunt at Disney where at least 1/2 the patrons are from abroad, this was one problem I never expected to have, but sure enough, a family from Long Island returned & requested my presence. This restarraunt has 3 floors, and even though the turnover time is slow, it's still a challenge to hit the whole place. In addition to the problem mentioned by Flourishdude, there's also the situation where servers come after you saying how much this person or that wants to see you, and oftentimes they (the server) have already assured the customer that theyd have me come over!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
In this situation I try to get more than one table watching and interacting (in door street magic)If you can open up people will watch, you can do three tables with one routine "unequal ropes" living a lot of people happy in one go, On slower nights spend more time at the tables.

Good luck

Royston
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Exactly, Royston! Play bigger! Do a rope routine or linking rings--something easily seen--for the whole room where the folks are waiting. If someone wants to talk and spend time with you, explain that it's just not possible tonight, because you're swamped, and suggest another night that is not so busy. But at least try to say "Hi! Good to see you again!" Call them by name if possible, and maybe ask about the kid's soccer game or something you know they're doing. This will let them know that you value them and you remember them.

This IS a positive problem! You might talk to the boss about staying an extra 30-90 minutes for a slightly reduced fee on those busy nights. I often stay after for free. It does not go unnoticed, and it is appreciated by both the management and the patrons.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
It would seem that you have created a significant demand for yourself. The management now is aware of this demand since the customers are telling them about it. As such, you should be in a position to build a business case for either extended performance times, or additional nights (Since you mentioned you are working at 5 different places, additional nights may or may not work for you). In either case, you should NOT have to work for a reduced rate. You have proven your worth and your ability to act as a drawing card for customers.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
FD,
Could you be there longer, such as 3 hours? Might solve the problem or it might make three hours of the same problem. Sorry, best I could come up with.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I do two nights there as it is. For the past 5 times I have stayed late 30 mins to 1 hour over. Last night the manager said we need to redo your contract so you can stay longer. Funny you guys say to play parger that I started to work two tables at once it helped. Thank for your suggestions.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to handle this... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL