We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Essential Aldo Colombini - Volumes 1, 2, 3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Man, they just keep coming out. I will definately get these and with Greg Wilson, the bank is breaking.

Dave
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
I like aldo alot. his performace is funny and exciting to watch. his tricks are not hard to do and packs a big punch.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
I second that. I can't wait to get them now.
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
The one thing I like about Aldo is his tricks are not heavy on sleights and yes he is funny and an extremely nice guy. I actually live not to far from him and have met him in person and have taken a lesson from him. Truely outstanding magacian and man.

Dave
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Has anyone seen his two-cup routine?
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
Is this all new material, or a best of?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I saw a preview at L&L, and I really like Aldo Colobini's style (more than Greg Wilson). I ordered mine today based on the reviews here and the fact that his effects are not all sleight heavy. And more importantly that he is a great guy. Thanks guys and petersd. I will try to write a mini review after I watch it next week (the least I can do for all the wealth of information I received from The Magic Café).
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Evolve629,

I think you will like Aldo's material. He has great material. By the way, my comment about Greg Wilson, don't let that turn you off on his material. He has much doable material and his harder stuff will stretch you. He is another great magician.

If you don't already have you should also consider the following in the future:

Bill Malone on the Loose
Best of Jay Sankey
Darwin Ortiz has great material and will surely test you for years to come.
Lennart Green

Best of luck.

Dave
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Dave, thanks for your reply. I have almost of all Jay Sankey's dvds, seriously. Now, I'm taking a break away form Jay and trying to get a different perspective. I ordered Lennart Green Lite last week and I should get it soon. I don't know much about Darwin Ortiz, but I will check it out. Well, I'm going to watch the 10 O'Clock Show dvd by Scott Alesander tonight. I can't wait as he has some really good material on it.

If you haven't seen the review, Daryl's gold metal winning F.I.S.M. routine has a great Ultimate ACR with an unbelivable gimmick that it will really fry your specs. I'm also watching Martin Sanderson's dvd for ideas to put into my weapon of arsenal or toolbox. Till then, all the best in your endeavor. Smile
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
Aldo has tons of easy tricks but powerful. if you don't have his tapes I would recommend that stuff too. his stuff on tape is different than dvd.
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
Evolve,

Let me know how the 10 O'Clock show. I don't have that one. Check out Lennart Greens first 6 videos as well. The way he handles cards is so disarming and will probably fool the heck out of you. He fooled me badly.

I have Darl's ACR video and his ultimate ACR is incredible. Have you tried it out? I have not and have thought about making up the gaff.

Try getting some books as well if you don't have too many. I like DVD's but prefer books to them. It is loads of fun reading and searching for new material and significantly broadens your knowledge.

Sounds like you are doing well and have fun learning the impossible stuff. I continue to toy around with Raise Rise and can do it but not nearly as smoothly as I would like. I am in no hurry and if it takes a couple of years, so be it.

Let me know how Aldo's new DVD's are since I am interested.

Dave
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
Here is as somewhat brief impression of Volumes One and Two. I have NOT watched the third volume yet.

I found Aldo's performance almost directly picked out from his comedy books, Make’ em Laugh and Funny Stuff. For me, this kind of presentation gets very "cheesy" and is often not funny. You could probably say it's "cute" rather than hysterical. However, Aldo is entertaining, just gets boring for me after a while.

A lot of the material on the DVD's are tricks that Aldo sells. (Somewhat like Henry Evans's DVD's). Aldo includes tricks from his books as well. I have only watched two volumes thus far and to be honest, I am not extremely impressed. I can only say out of all the tricks, I might learn one. My expectations were extremely high only to be let down. Most of the tricks on the first two volumes are cards with some rope tricks. The difficulty I would say is intermediate, easier than Jay Sankey and about on par with Michael Ammar.
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
I have to admit that I found much of his jokes a bit on the corny side as well (and some of them were pretty old). However, I thought for the most part the magic was pretty good. The only problem I had was that there were a large number of "I force the card and then reveal it in an interesting way" tricks. Granted, the revelations were pretty good, but after too many of them, it got tiresome. My wife, who doesn't know much about magic, but likes to watch the performances would turn to me and say "he forced the card, didn't he?"

For the most part, a good collection though. I was surprised he didn't do Pre-deck-ability. Then again, Lennart Green pretty much did it on Green Lite. Smile
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Any update on this one? No one seems to have placed a full review.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 17:09, Gideon Sylvan wrote:
Any update on this one? No one seems to have placed a full review.

They aren't the best. He's a talented guy, but this is 2005: how much new stuff could he have?

Although, the L&L audience reacts strongly even if there was just a broom stick in front of them.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Aldo is giving his interpreation, variation, and his unique style on various subjects, mostly cards, on this dvds. He is a great magician/entertainer, no doubt about it. However, my problem is that at times, I find it difficult to understand some of his explaination.
Trent Hardcore
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Trent Hardcore
There are a couple of good tricks here but not too many. There's probably a decent walk-around routine hiding amongst all of these effects. His presentation leaves a lot to be desired however. He's obviously confident but his entire personality seems to have come from "1001 One-Liners for any Occasion" All of his jokes are taken from other people and he spends most of his time laughing at himself.

Vol. 2 is probably the best of the three but vol 1 has a nice rope routine if you're into those.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Only a couple? Really? What is your definition of a good routine? I think there are loads of good tricks on this set.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've been studying the set of three DVD's, and personally, I like them.

Maybe the jokes are corny, ("Look! An eye drop!") but Aldo pulls them off because his personality is so charming and engaging that nobody cares that the jokes are corny.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is under what conditions would you perform such a show? Is the L&L studio realistic performing conditions?

For instance, some of the effects require the audience to be close enough that you can hand them props such as cards. These tricks would definitely not work from a stage distance.

Where can one get a beautiful performing table such as L&L provides Aldo?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
Most of Aldo's work is intended for close-up walk around situations. Many of the effects he does could be adapted to some type of in hands presentation.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Essential Aldo Colombini - Volumes 1, 2, 3 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL