The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art of Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
The AOA books are probably the most mentally stimulating, mind expanding, funy books I have ever purchased, you definitely need all three.

I probably re-read one at least once week (often more) Mr Harris's style and imagination inspires me to invent my own stuff. No.... not all his stuff is comercial or even practical (handful of yogurt-thru-table lol) but the stuff that is commercial is killer.

Paul is one guy who thinks outside the box. Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hackmonkey said;
"Paul is one guy who thinks outside the box"

You must be thinking of his El Weirdo effect then. Smile

The only reason the Art of Astonishment books didn't get me all excited was that I already had all the previous Harris books and had been an admirer of his work from the beginning. But I would highly recommend them to anyone who has not come across Harris. Being exposed to his thinking is almost like being hit by a truck. Smile

Certainly one of my magical heroes, even if he is a flake. Smile

Paul Hallas.
NickW
View Profile
New user
Derby, UK
66 Posts

Profile of NickW
I'd have to agree with all the above comments along the lines of 'don't wait, buy all 3' - so long as you don't live in the English Midlands, when I'd rather you didn't buy them at all... Mine, all mine...

The variety of effects in here and their power (and the fact that most leave you completely clean afterwards) is amazing. Now I just need to find the time to work up a few more routines.
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
OK. I am convinced! I am off to my magic store!
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
After reading this thread I immediately tried to buy the whole set and found that Vol 1 is currently out of print. I went ahead and ordered the other 2 and put vol. 1 as a backorder in case it goes into another printing. Anyone know if it will?
Also, is his AOA video worth getting in addition to the books or do the books cover it all?

- Britt
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I think the "ART OF ASTONISHMENT" books are absolutely great and everything you all say about them is true.The effects will blow you away and the essays really make you think.
I bought my set in December of 1996 as a Christmas present to myself after a particularly bad year. Two major surgeries..deaths door..all that stuff that makes life worth living. I opened the package at Christmas and when I looked at these wondeful books I knew things would be good again.Believe me they were more than books of effects to me at that time. I'll never part with them.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
You can buy volume 1 from Hank Lee's http://www.magicfact.com
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
Thanks bama,

I'll give Hank Lee's a call.

- Britt
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Paul Harris is a genius when it comes to close-up magic. Without those books, I would be nowhere now. Smile

Art of Astonishment of course. Smile
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
I bought them and I love them. It sucks that I can't concentrate on my work now and that I dream about the little images under the trick names. pff
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
By the way, I've been looking for the cheapest deal on AOA, and I think I found it - if you live in Maryland you'll probably already know about this place called Barry's Magic which is in Wheaton. The volumes are 32 bucks separately, and something like 85 when purchased as a set. I made the mistake of telling my wife that I wanted these for Christmas. I think she already got them, so now I have to wait!!! Boohooo!!!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey guys, I did a search on Paul Harris's AoA and I came up with the books (obviously) and also a video... but it's only 1 volume. Does that one volume of a video contain the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST of AoA or something?

Also, I came across his Stars Of Magic series, which is a 5 volume series, some of them contain stuff from AoA I noticed, are they worthwhile?

Logan Smile

P.S. Paul Harris looks a little like Ammar on first glance! Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There's plenty of new stuff in AoA, even if you have all of PH's previous works. "Backlash" and "Fantasy Aces" are my favorites from the book.

Weird "Backlash" idea: You have the card signed on both sides, and place it in your pocket. You spell the spectator's name to bring it back to the deck. (This is all the original routine, SO FAR) After the vanish of the spectator's card, you lift up your pant leg, showing the signed card in your sock. You remove it from the sock, bring it up, and show both sides signed. After that, you immediately peel the signature off the back, and give the spectator their card signed ONLY on the front!

I can't go into methods here, but if you're familiar with Carl Cloutier's Card to Sock gimmick, and David Williamson's method for peeling off signatures from cards, as well as the original "Backlash" routine, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
Hey you guys I have a question, I have only been into magic for about a year now and I was wondering is there any special gimicked supplies I am going to need to pull off the tricks in the AoA if so which gimmicks and which volumes? Appreciate it!

Smile
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Each book is very thick. To go through the tricks and list the props you need is impossible. Lots of card magic, and if you need gimmicks, it'll be stuff you can find around the house. Soda cans, dollar bills, paper clips, etc.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Although not a "card guy" I continue to find things I can use. As mentioned before "Galaxy" in volume 3 is out of this world.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
There are some great effects in Vol. 2, my personal favorite. "Counterfeit Spectator" is very strong (forget Blaine's edited version) and "Sliding Ink" is great too.
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Does anybody know where I can still get my hands on Vol 1 seeing as it's out of print? I'd like to get the whole set together if possible. I'm a lowly student, so the cheaper the better. Ben, you mentionned Barry's Magic in Maryland. Sadly, that's a little out of the way for me. Do they deliver?

Cheers,
dchung
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
I just got 2 and 3 yesterday. And 1 will be here in a month. Theres something up with one and there off the market right now. But I am starting to love these books already.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I am selling the entire set on ebay this week...only a few days left...my ebay name is: d.vernon

All three volumes are in excellent condition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art of Astonishment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL