The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Breaking in. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
How do you start up getting gigs for trade shows and fairs. Is it more of a case of who you know rather than phoning round and auditioning? I would love to work for liquor companies at their shows, any advice would be much appreciated. I have not much of an idea of how to break in to this one!
Paul
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
In his book "Hustle Hustle" Joel Bauer goes into fairly extensive detail on various methods to book at a trade show (which he list as his #1 of the ways to work in magic).

Azrael
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Paul,

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the United States, one usually starts in the trade show business by doing several local business to business or consumer shows, learning the ropes and polishing an act.

After you have an act to sell, some good testimonial letters, photos and perhaps a video demo tape, you can start approaching the sales and marketing departments of businesses you would like to work with.

For fairs, you can start out locally also, as a strolling performer and/or stage act, usually doing a family show in the entertainment tent. In New York State, it helps to be a member of the fair association and exhibit at their annual convention.

There's a lot more to it, but you get the first gig by selling yourself to someone. Maybe you charge a modest fee, or even do the first one on a barter basis, just to get experience, contacts and those important references. Once you start the ball rolling, it gets easier.

As I said, there's a lot more to it, and I cover both topics in my Success in Magic course. To listen to two free audio samples of teleseminars on the topic, visit:

http://www.success-in-magic.com/resources.htm

Good luck.

Jim

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22891 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-04-29 15:22, Paul Jester wrote:
I would love to work for liquor companies at their shows, any advice would be much appreciated. I have not much of an idea of how to break in to this one!
Paul

Contact the headquarters for the liquor companies you wish to work for. Tell them what you can do for them. I hope you are of drinking age for your country and have a trade show pitch/act polished and ready, that is one way to approach your question.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Look over venues that have exhibits and expos

These web sites have the companies organising the web site- then some have exhibitor lists

Go spend a day copying and pasting details into an excel file

and post out a sales letter with plenty of pictures and importantly what you can do for the company.

Increase leads,
stop Traffic all that stuff.
then call them up and speak to the Marketing Boss or better say the person in charge of creating the exhibit at ____ or even better is to know the name.

If you can't cold call over the phone I would think you may have a few problems doing trade shows.

the huslte hustle book is OK it doesn't have that much info on how to get trade show work.

At this point in time I know of no agency that sells Trade SHow Magicians other than a guy doing tricks at booths. so it's all up to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Breaking in. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL