We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Remember my packing crate escape ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Wolfie, Manzini has one of those super heavy levitations too so I can sympathize. It looks so great in the show it made me want one, but the weight of it made me reconsider. Every time I load, unload or set it up makes me think that those card, coin and sponge guys might just have something there. Smile
Best regards, Tony Parisi
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi kids...

I've made up some play/promotion cards for the crate and the hardware I wear into the crate. I posted them on a seperate page on the same website as the crate photos. Have a peek and tell me what you think...please be honest as the public will see these in the malls I do promos at.

http://www.crateescape.5u.com

By the way, if any of you folks would like stuff like this done for your website or just to have printed up for your promo package, I'll be more than happy to design it and make it for you...free of charge.

Em is an artist and she helps me out with her advice. Just e-mail me with the details.

~Rick~
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hi Rick,

First off, I would like to suggest that you check out http://www.freewebs.com, where you can create free web sites (like mine) -- and without any annoying pop-up ads (or ads of any kind actually.)

Second, I have a problem with using Houdini's photo in your promo, especially when your own image is no where to be seen. Who are you selling, yourself or a dead man? It's not just that you are using Houdini's image; if you were selling a magic show with Thurston's image it would make me feel the same.

Third, the promo content itself says and does very little. Remember, that ALL advertising is supposed to create a sense of NEED and ACTION. Your content so far just says... what? Your content must COMPEL the audience to come and watch your show... as though they are really missing out on something fantastic if they don't. Anything else is simply a waste.

Fourth, while making #3 happen with your new ad copy, you will get far better results if you can somehow incorporate a catchy phrase or jingle at the same time. Make yourself EASY TO REMEMBER -- but not by using Harry's likeness over your own.

Finally, I would suggest including all your contact/website info some place easy to see.

Chance
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
Chance is right about traditional marketing stratigies. However, for the specific product and for market that Rick is targeting, this approach looks good to me. I assume that mall walkers in Canada are similar to those in the US. They know the name Houdini and little else about our beloved art form. Many, many years ago my mentor, Don Viano, called his show, "Houdini Lives Again". It told the people what to expect and it sold tickets. Once you have them in their seats, you start to make your name and persona memerable so that they will want to see YOU again.

I think Rick has set the theme quite nicely in a manner that will be understood by his targeted audience.

Rich
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I agree with both Chance and Viano here. I think you should be promoting yourself and not Houdini, yet, as Viano says, people generally know Houdini and nothing else about escapes. Which is why I would suggest doing both. If you check out one of the pieces on Steve Bakers website you'll see that there is a news article that compares him to Houdini and there is a picture of them both facing each other. You could do something like that. It will promote you as the performer, yet tell the audience immediately what you are going to be doing.

Just a thought.

Ros,

ps
I too use freewebs for my website. They're pretty good. As you expand your site you can purchase ad-ons that enhance it. Like your own dot com etc.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thank you guys...I appreciate your words. I'm not promoting myself...I'm promoting an escape that is going to bring people to the show...I'm just the *** that does the escape.The name Houdini will sell more tickets than my name will (Thanks Harry).

~Rick~
TheEscapist
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TheEscapist
Chance brought up some excellent points. So did Viano and others. Rick you are trying to create a hook to get people to watch the escape. The hook you are using is HOUDINI. that's understandable. However, I think you are missing the WHY people should come and that is where promoting YOU comes in. For myself, I would want to know who Richard Davenport was. I'd want some sort of information on why I should care. Then it would compel me to act or in this case, come watch your show.

Here is something that will offend people on this board but I don't think Houdini sells tickets like he used to. People know the name, but I'm not sure that is enough anymore.

Good luck with your project. I hope it is successful and does you well.

Al Bright
TheHandcuffKing
View Profile
New user
Around About Here
19 Posts

Profile of TheHandcuffKing
I had a look at that crate and I think it's a nice looking prop

HK
"If it can be locked onto my wrists, I will open it"
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Houdini? Wasn't that one of those cr*ppy old black and white movies? The guy died. If I want to see an old dead guy, I'll go find the King Tut exhibit.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
I don't know, some people's kids need a good switching.

~Rick~
"A man is only as young as the woman he feels"

-Groucho Marx-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Remember my packing crate escape ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL