The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Anyone familiar with Orson Welles Mercury Wonder Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I am trying to get any information on Orson Welles' Mercury Wonder Show during World War II. I have a prop that once belonged to Mr. Welles during that time and I specifically would like to know of any of the specific effects he may have performed. Any information would be appreciated.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
My mom saw the show. I will ask her what she remembers. Also, there is a poster from the show downstairs at the Magic Castle. It is in the walk way that leads to the inner circle/Hello Dolly bar. The poster is like a broadside and lists the various act performed. Maybe Pete Biro will look at it and report back.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I wrote an article about Welles' show in MAGIC magazine in August ,1993. It was the 50th anniversary of the show. There is a reproduction of the broadside that Todd mentions, above, in the article. I have one in my collection. Video of parts of the show exists in the film, "Follow The Boys" released in 1944. The show was one of Welles' favorite projects.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Follows the Boys is also the last movie W.C. Fields made. In it he does some of his pool act from his Vaudeville days.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Really tragic to see Fields in Follow The Boys. He's obviously just walking through the routine. His performance of the pool act in "3 of a Kind" is the classic. Actually, his final film appearance was in "Sensations of 1945" where he does his train scene "A Night On The Caledonian Express" that he performed in the Ziegfeld Follies. (Can you tell I'm also a big Fields fan?) Both "Follow The Boys" and "Sensations" are great star-studded "morale booster" WWII films.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Anyone familiar with Orson Welles Mercury Wonder Show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL