The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
108 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
Hello all,

My preference, technically, goes to Colombini's routine Three Ring Circus and Haydn's routine. I perform in every show a routine mixing moves from the two. Lost impact? I don't think so. People know that this trick is a classic, and enjoy watching it live, not on TV.

Later...

Martin
thatcheria
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, MD
14 Posts

Profile of thatcheria
Don't forget Cellini's work with the rings!
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
2 days ago I went out and bought my first set of linking rings from Davenports, (don't worry, I made sure I had a beginners set!)
:rotf:
I got "The Great Wong's Chinese Rings" Routine and a set of 6 10-inch by 1/4 inch rings. Now I'm having lots of fun!!! The routine has lots of beautiful patterns in it and I'm looking forward to performing it (sometime or other, when I'm happy with it!) Smile
Jester
:clownjuggling:
JePi
View Profile
New user
Germany
13 Posts

Profile of JePi
Horace Bennett wrote a good routine in his
"Price winning magic" with 5 rings. I prefer 3 linking ring routine and I gather movements from ROSS, GANSON and BENNETT. So it fits to my persona. Play with the rings and you will find a way to show all rings on your fingertips and to manipulate with a KEY without any high-tech props. In fact the linking ring routine is a manipulation (and should be discussed in this forum).
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have a cheap (Indian made I believe) eleven ring set that I purchased in 1978: the basic 8, plus a locking key, an oversize, and an undersize.

I only use 9. I don't use the standard key or the undersize. I believe the undersized ring is intended mainly for counts but I don't think a count is necessary. I begin by loosely passing the rings from hand to hand and tossing one up freely to start.

I have two volunteers from the audience join me to inspect the rings as I go. I am by no means a master of this effect but it always get's a great response.

I love my locking key - It's never opened unexpectedly on me and I can use it one handed. I considered buying an Owen set but besides the price, they told me their locking key requires 2 hands to operate. The plating on mine has worn badly, but they are still passable, I have explored getting them rechromed, but to have it done right is pretty spendy too.

I based my routine on one I saw Doug Henning do on TV in the 70's and on the Fitzkee book. I have a short clip of it on my website where I am performing it at my company's Christmas dinner program, the CEO and COO are on stage with me.

The audience response is quite enthusiastic -to be fair, most of them know me as the computer/phone support guy so to see me do this stuff is usually a surprise!

http://homepage.mac.com/socheltree
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The rings are a classic magic trick and will probably always be popular with audiences and performers alike. I think that the simple geometry of the effect is part of its power, as well as the endless variation of moves and byplay.

I have seen many, many routines with the rings over forty years in magic, and can't tell you how many smiles have spread across my face watching the parade.

Whenever I perform the linking rings--and I have made most of my living off this trick since the sixties--I can't help but think of all the great and mostly unknown minds who have added this or that strategem, ruse, or bit of business to this classic trick over the centuries.

These are the many shoulders that I stand upon whenever I mount the platform with this hoary premise. When my audiences laugh and applaud, I think, "We got away with it one more time..."

Nothing else in magic gives me so much satisfaction, and so much pleasure. Only a few other classics--like the cups and balls and the egg bag--can give such a feeling of continuity and belonging to a tradition as can the linking rings. They are a form, like the sonnet is to poetry, of endless beauty and innovation. For audience and performer alike, they remain older than memory, and somehow forever young.

Over the years I have found that the non-magician's attitude toward this trick is based solely on his last experience. If the last magician he saw doing the rings was boring and inept, he will say, "Oh, God. The rings. That is such an old and boring thing."

On the other hand, if the last magician he saw doing the rings was entertaining and talented, he will say, "Those rings! I love that one. That trick always makes me crazy. How does it work anyway?"

This is one of the few things that a magician can profitably spend his lifetime playing with...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Mr. Haydn,

I think you've summed-up the thoughts of all of the posters, on this thread. I never tire of performing the rings.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hi, I`m new to the site, but not magic. I`ve been working with 3 rings and can do McBrides guerrilla routine but it`s not me. I`ve several 3 ring books but I`m finding them hard to follow and think video`s are the answer. Trouble is, I live in England, does anyone recommend one available over here.
THANK YOU
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Try http://www.mammamiamagic.com
Aldo Colombini's 3-ring routine is on video. I wouldn't be surprised if it's available at a dealer in the UK.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hi Alan and thanks,

I`ve got Aldo`s booklet and it looks good, but, it`s one of the one`s I can`t follow. I`ve been on his American web site and the video is not listed. The English retailer doesn`t list it either. Steven`s list some nice sounding tapes but don`t mention pal. I`d rather buy from a British supplier, as the last time I bought a tape from America, I got a bad pal copy which was damaged in the post and it took months to change. I know it was just bad luck and as my video player plays ntlc I should buy an American tape. It would make things a lot simpler.
eddie
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
That's strange. I looked at the site today and Aldo has the video of the Linking Ring Routine listed on his site. He had both formats listed, although PAL is a little more expensive.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hello Alan

What can I say? I feel really stupid. I've gone back to Aldo's site and the video was there. I was looking under the wrong name, my booklet is a different one, called RING SUPREME. It's an old English one. Thank you, I was about to give the whole idea of doing the rings up. Thank's for taking the trouble to help.

EDDIE Smile
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I too love the rings. I do a traditional 8 ring routine using a 10 inch set. My routine is based upon Lewis Ganson's 8 ring routine from his Routine Manipulation book. However, instead of opening with a drop count, I use the Ken Brooks verson of the Oden count. I have changed the fingering a bit so that the two single for triple linked rings are seemless.

I love this count because it perfectly creates the illusion right from the start that these are 8 seperate rings, and I believe that a start like that gives the best foundation for the whole rest of the illusion. I also include the falling ring from Dai Vernon, where one ring travels down the linked three till it reaches the bottom. However, I added a move that then looks like I pull that ring from the bottom right off the bottom of the linked three. It's a great effect and I'm proud I came up with it.

Unless someone else already did and I never heard about it.

Best,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
221 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
I'm late to this discussion (heck, I'm late to this web site), but here are my thoughts. I've been doing them for over 30 years, and the fact that people "think" they already know how the trick works is a strength. A good routine uses the key to an absolute minimum, which throws people off. And when you link a key with a single and spin each one right under their noses (a very simple move), it slays them. Doing things with the rings that seem impossible to people who already know the trick is very powerful. And lots of fun.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
My routine is based on the Harry Anderson routine. It has a few links that don't use the key - very powerful stuff. People like to think they know how it's done, they like it more when they see a great routine that amazes them, anyway.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I recently had the privilege to view Terry Lunceford's 3-ring routine on a VHS tape he was kind enough to send me. My initial reaction as I opened the package? Oh, no!! Not those @#%$ rings again!!

My reaction after seeing the performance? I was blown away!! (no, not by the secret but by the performance) What magic!! What artistry!! Terry says he closes with this effect. I could see why. Even to a jaded guy who knows the "secret" and feels that 95% of the spectators do also, this was a magical performance. The performance only lasted less than two minutes. I hated to see it end.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

I have a 3 large ring locking set (10" I believe) that I've been fiddling with for a couple of years... I like spinning all the rings... I also use the rings for things other than linking, including spinning hoop pass over floating objects (ala Sorcery Shop ITR video), and in a rope routine (ala McBride's Stage videos)...

I broke down and bought the Ninja Ring video and have been fooling around with them, practicing the link with the spinning ring (spin 1 ring on table, then link 2nd ring into 1st while 1st is still spinning); I've also tried this with the large rings...it's got potential, although gotta be careful the surface you spin rings on is clean, or ring finish can get scratched!

I like flow in my show, and segue's where one thing flows into another, so the rings come up from something previous, then lead into something else (i.e. with rope)...

Joe
Smile
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I have been doing Whit Haydn's routine for quite some time. I found that I had to twist the patter around to suit my style, but the routine is the best.

Also, so many people have seen the rings that they are pretty amazed that you are letting them hold them and participate in the magic because most of them are used to long drawn out 8 ring versions.

oliver
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I love Cellini's Lord and Master of the Rings video and routine. It is two ring, and elegant, and powerful.

But my style is a bit more "in your face" and so I really like Chris Capeharts three ring routine with the impossible link, and more unique moves. You have to see it to believe it, as he does a link right to a ring held by a spectator, right in front of them, and they will swear it was solid through solid. He then even does it again, while having a ring already linked! He links another that appears to link solid through solid again. I couldn't believe it!

Most ring routines, hide the linking. He dares you see it! My kinda act!

So now that is all I do!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
You folks are selling me on this Capeheart routine! Is there somewhere I can see a video of it online? Living in Japan makes it kind of tough to get out and see demos.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL