The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I don't think there are any videos of Capehart's routine online.

But you can go to his website and get his email and ask him. http://www.chriscapehart.com/ and you can order the DVD there for only $25 plus shipping which is $4 in US, but who knows how much to Japan?

I can only say that I can draw a crowd, and hold them, and close with no other magic than my variation of the Capehart routine.

It certainly works for me!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I find it hard to believe that no one has mentioned Jay Marshall's fabulous ring routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jake Ellison
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jake Ellison
I have a question about the durability of linking rings. I just bought a set of 12" rings from Klamm, and have been practicing Whit Haydn's routine. I've only been practicing a few days, and have dropped the single ring several times while trying to master one of the moves. Yesterday, when the ring hit the floor, it actually separated (essentially looking like a k-- ring). Has anyone else ever had this happen? If so, what did you do about it (i.e. ask for them to exchange the ring? Or just buy another one?) I was honestly surprised by this, as I didn't think falling to the floor a few times would cause this kind of damage to the ring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Send them back. Save some money. buy Owen Rings. I have had mine since 1950 and have dropped them, banged on them, thrown them across the stage, and they still look like new.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I would assume that they would send you a new ring. They are reputable, and nobody's rings should crack the weld when they hit the floor.

I learned welding from a Welding Master Instructor who was one person chosen to lead the staff to weld the boilers on the first Atomic submarines. Properly welded metal seams are stronger than the base material they hold together. So it must be a flaw in the metal or the weld.

And in either case, it isn't your fault that it broke.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jake Ellison
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jake Ellison
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to ask for a new ring and also start saving up for a set of Owen rings.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Does anyone have any comments on Davenport's linking rings? Appearance, sound, smoothness of operation? The description in the latest print catalog I have from then sounds tempting, and the price (approx $18 each) seems pretty good for quality rings. Anybody using them?
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
When I saw Vernon's Classic routine, it evoked my love for this effect. Jay Marshall's Routine and his advice which was( Get a chrome plater to put a great finish on your favorite set) then use them. Vernon used to say "These are not like the Rings that you get at a magic store that have breaks in them" he would cancel that method, in his performance. Mr.Takagi's fantastic ideas in the Kaufman book and on his Linking Ring Video allow for complete examination of all the rings. These Masters have helped me with my routine.
It's Fun to be Fooled
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
Try to prove to your audiance what you are about to do isn't the way the "masked magician" showed. I saw some guy do a routine with 4 rings that was amazing. Check around a magic shop about a video.
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
397 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
I do several ring routines. It depends on the situation. I made a set of 3" rings with brass rings that were 3 for a dollar at the local craft store. I do the Sankey 3 ring circus, using these instead of the ones provided, for kid shows. I still have an old 10" set of 8 and use a routine from Routined Manipulation, for adults and club dates I use a Klamm 12" set with locking **y and the comedy routine provided and like all three.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a set of Porper rings (3) with case for sale. PM me if interested. Smile
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I have just recently started to play with the linking rings. I had a cheap, beginner's little set for months and never really used them. Then I got a book and the Teach-In video and started experimenting. Now I have a solid routine with the small rings that have gotten good reactions. I'm now considering getting the Chris Capehart DVD to learn some of his moves. Man, these rings are addictingly fun.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Porper rings are perfect for Capehart's routine.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have performed my own version of a three ring routine silently, up-close (mingling magic during cocktails and table-to-table)for more than 20 years, as well as on the street (two consecutive summers: 1983 and 1984). I still enjoy the thrill and rhythm of my 6-8 minute routine.

Although my routine feels original in its presentation, several of my moves have been influenced by Vernon, Capehart, and Benson.

I perform my routine in complete silence, inches away from the spectators, placing the rings in their hands, making the crash links and unlinks,and a silent crash link and silent unlink (drop one through the other(I believe the silent link was Roy Benson's move).

All my moves are done inches away from the spectators or right in their very hands, and all in silence. After I let one of the volunteer "feel" that she/he has unlinked their ring from my two rings, I end on a quick flourish, holding one of my rings (the key ring) just above the head of this triumphant volunteer --creating a "halo" effect and cuing the well deserved applause (for the volunteer).

Lots of unexpected surprises and laughs fill my interactive routine. I will never tire of this routine (nor will the incredulous and appreciative volunteers).

Enjoy!
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
cigar808
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of cigar808
Just received my 12" Owens Rings.
WOW!
I will be spending lots of time with these.
Have always favored the Vernon routine,but just recently saw Cellini and was floored by his touch.
Been using my good old 8" Rings and Things
for 30 years.(THEY made great stuff)
Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful advice on the subject(special thanks to Mr.Biro)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You are very welcome. You have bought the best.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
665 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I've had the Rings-n-things 10" set for years and they are still in great looking shape. I even throw one ring up with backspin and let it bounce before linking, only on a wood stage.

I started with Vernon's routine and still do it for larger audiences because I can get several people for audience participation, but a few years ago I got a LKey and now I can do a close-up four ring routine that is basically the middle part of Vernon's Symphony. Using both keys I can show all four defiantly separate then do the patterns that show various links, I don't do all the patterns since I think the trick is about linking not patterns. And then show all four defiantly unlinked at the end.
Now with all the input from y'all I will check out the other routines just to see what I'm missing. I don't think the lay audience knows the difference, but a extra showy move or two would spice up the Symphony. Got Fitsky's book and I'm already doing one link / unlink differently.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Quote:
On 2003-11-25 00:47, Pete Biro wrote:
I find it hard to believe that no one has mentioned Jay Marshall's fabulous ring routine.

And now that you mention it, there are some wonderful moves in The Ireland Linking Ring Routine, still published by Magic Inc. I believe.

Here's a point for folks to think about -- Don't the two classics, Rings and Zombie share a similar weakness, namely, the biggest challenge is deciding how to bring the effect to a close with a dramatic climax?

Has someone started a thread somewhere on linking ring finales?

PS: Things changed for me when I finally saved up and bought the 12" Owen rings. The k** r**g fit over my head, so I could finally end things with a dramatic chain of eight without anyone seeing the o*****g in the k**.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Research the "Chefalo Cross" for a great ending.

:kermit:
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Lewis Ganson's routine has a great ending, which is shaking all the rings loose onto the floor, crashing down apparently unlinked.

I've been doing Whit's four ring routine on the street, but I'm ready try my own 8 ring routine on the street, which ends the same way as Ganson's routine. The hold up as been that I didn't want my rings to crash onto the pavement and the problems of doing this in a surrounded situation. So I made a catch bag if you will. I will be shaking the rings loose into the catch bag. I plan to try it this weekend.

By the way, I agree with Manuel about the "figures." I personally find them boring and don't do them.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL