The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Would you folks recommend the Joe Porper Rings then? I'm keen on them for my three ring routine (I currently have an owen's set but would like the Ghost ring. Is it a wise investment?

Regards

DAK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22559 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
DAk,

No if you have an Owen's set, you have the best. Better to put your time in learning and developing a routine. I have over a dozen routines in my library. No tapes or DVD's. You can pick something out of each and create your own routine.

JameinLA,

Everyone say the figures with rings is boring, but whenever I see a magician at a convention doing figures. I listen to the audience. It seems they enjoy them, especially went a homorous line is delivered with them. Like Chapo and TroubleWit routines. Think outside the circle and make it funny.

I also us a knitting folding bag as a dump box for props after each trick. You might check out Wal-Mart for such a cheap dump bag. Then you just close it and off you go.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4857 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
There are some moves you do with the Ghost Ring that you can't with a regular key and vice versa. But, the ghost key is not invisible even though the melt through links are quite impressive. I would master your Owen rings first.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Wm,
Thanks for the idea of the walmart dump box. I may look into that because the thing I custom made has to be held by an assitant, sort of like a tennis racket.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I am pleased to say that I have ordered my 3 ring set of Owen Rings (10"), thanks to Pete Biro's recommendation and to related comments on the Magic Café.

Pete suggested that I try a set out, if possible. Within days, I was lucky enough to discover that a friend, Michel, had a set of Owens (12"). Michel gladly agreed to show me his rings and we met, soon after, at a local restaurant . Once I held these rings in my hands and performed a quick routine for our table's waitress, I was "sold" 100%. Their thickness, ringing sound, and weight, combined with their high polished beauty made them the holy grail of rings.

So, move over Gollum…henceforth I shall refer to my rings as “my precious”… just kidding!

My rings are currently in transit and I should have them in hand (literally) by mid-week.

Thanks also to the Magic Café, for providing a forum where sage advice is in no short supply.

All the best.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1705 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Just my 2 cents worth!!

Owen Rings are the best quality-work upto them when you have a routine etc

Just a couple of weeks back-performed for an Evening College show around 500 people with my usual opening with 4 -12"Linking Rings-thanks to Pete Biro idea! Runs about 2 min 50 sec.

With the music& the spotlights & my own routine developed over 20 yrs-The response was huge & I was very surprised!! as all the way through the routine-audience was applauding & saying wow-ive never heard that before!!
The Rings look like glass & sound like chimes-I do a lot Of Richard Ross type Moves etc

This is still& always will be a classic-I finish with 4 rings over my head as a finale so they know when you finish-milk more applause etc

Work on a routine & enjoy performing a great effect-Lay audiences always remember this if performed well & not too long!!

cheers
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
My Ten inch Owen Rings recently arrived and it's a thrill to use them. The old ones seem so thin in comparison.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Can anywone tell me how much a set of 4 owens rings would cost?

Thanks
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
My dad used it because it would
include audience participation
and it was called the "chinese"
linking rings...but he used 3 big
hoops not the small ones.

he did do it music in fact he did
it in the talking part of his act.

linking rings are so common in magicians
acts that it hard to get away from it.
Like a staple.

at the 1985 IBM convention we were co-billing
on stage with Tom Odgen and Jay Marshall
and as a joke on my Uncle Jay and dad's part
they came on stage with their linking rings
when Tom was doing his. As you know, Tom doesn't
have a very broad sense of humour. It was funny
enough for me to remember.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
magicsiow
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
102 Posts

Profile of magicsiow
What's the different within Porper rings and Owen rings? Does anyone have both to compare?
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I believe that Porper Rings have a locking key, but I am not certain.

You would receive very valuable and accurate advice from sending a PM to Magic Café member Extraordinaire, Mr. Pete Biro.

You could also send an e-mail directly to Mr. Joe Porper (joeporper@hotmail.com).

Good luck!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Porper and Owen are made of different materials. Owen are hollow stainless steel and Porpers are hollow hardened alloy.

Both are excellent. Porper only makes keys and singles. Owen makes the sets as well as keys and singles.

Of the lockers, I personally find the Porper better, but both are well made.

Porper also makes the "ghost" key and the Split Ring as well as the spinning ring.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Great topic! I do a silly rings routine for the kids shows based largely on David Ginn's routine, where the child assistant keeps messing up until the end, when they succeed. He has a good suggestion about introducing the rings that usually deters those who think they know: If someone pipes up about a hole in the ring, say, "You're absolutely right, in fact, they all have holes", then proceed to hold up the rings and look right through them. This gets a laugh, and usually no one pipes up after that.

Nevertheless, I have much to learn in terms of all the cool moves that are out there for rings. Thanks to all of you for the reccomendations, you have inspired me to upgrade my ring skills.

And Hi, Jonathan, good to see you on this site, and thank-you profusely for being the one who directed me to The Magic Café, it is indeed fantastic. Maybe we could meet sometime and you could show me a few linking ring moves?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hi Todd,

Welcome to the Magic Café.

I know you'll find it extremely enriching and will offer your own valuable contributions in exchange (as you have already done in your post above!).

I look forward to seeing you in the near future. Perhaps at the Magie Spectram auction on Monday, May 16th.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Hi Jonathan, I will be at the next Spectram auction, and will be selling a few things as well. See you there!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Video clip of Jack Miller's Linking Rings Routine to Poetic Patter

Enjoy

http://www.ballvase.com/tfrank/Rings%20Small.mov

TF
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Top-notch performance Tom. Bravo!

Thank you for providing this link to your wonderful video clip.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1705 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-05-10 09:25, Tom Frank wrote:
Video clip of Jack Miller's Linking Rings Routine to Poetic Patter

Enjoy

http://www.ballvase.com/tfrank/Rings%20Small.mov

TF

Thanks Tom-

My own opinion on the clip!

Very average performance!!-Shame after I've heard a lot about Jack!!

Hardly any applause at the end-which means he lost the audience!!-He had to yell to let them know he finished!!

Im sure magicians like all his moves but the lay audience reaction was very muted-half way through the routine he stopped for applause-no one clapped!!!

How bad is that!!

I guess some of our routines & reactions aren't so bad after all!!-I feel much better with my own routines!!

Hopefully it was a poor audience but a Pro should know better how to handle them

My marks for entertainment- 4/10-very disappointing!

Cheers

In regard to Toms Routine movie above using Jack Miller's Linking Rings Routine etc

The moves were very very good- don't get me wrong The audience just seemed a bit lethargic which at times reflect on the overall reaction etc this is more on what I was commenting!-shame as I thought Tom did a nice routine -maybe Music may have worked for this particular audience for this crowd who knows!!

Tom-Im not picking on you at all-just the audience reaction!

Well done on a tough crowd!!

Cheers
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Very interesting gig. I was hired to open up a banquet awards ceremony with no introduction. The booker just wanted me to go out cold and do 3 minutes of magic. There were 900 people in the room with large screens on either side of the stage. Dinner was running late and dessert was being served while I was performing. The only audio on the tape was coming out of the wireless mike, as the audience was not miked.

I thought it went over well enough under the circumstances.

Brent, I appreciate your comments and did not feel picked on. I like it when people tell it like they see it. "Shoot from the hip" that what I always say.

I was paid $300 for 3 minutes of magic. The booker was pleased and booked me for a few other gigs and I got the tape out of it.

C'est la vie

Here is another video clip of the routine. This was shot in high definition in a studio w/ no audience, and a voice over (someone else's voice) will take a a couple of minutes to load.

http://homepage.mac.com/tfrank8176/iMovieTheater4.html

This is off of my DVD that teaches the routine. I have these for sale if anyone is interested.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1705 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-05-13 04:37, Tom Frank wrote:
Very interesting gig. I was hired to open up a banquet awards ceremony with no introduction. The booker just wanted me to go out cold and do 3 minutes of magic. There were 900 people in the room with large screens on either side of the stage. Dinner was running late and dessert was being served while I was performing. The only audio on the tape was coming out of the wireless mike, as the audience was not miked.

I thought it went over well enough under the circumstances.

Brent, I appreciate your comments and did not feel picked on. I like it when people tell it like they see it. "Shoot from the hip" that what I always say.

I was paid $300 for 3 minutes of magic. The booker was pleased and booked me for a few other gigs and I got the tape out of it.

C'est la vie

Tom-

Even bigger Plaudits to you!!-well done!!

Magicians nightmare-no intro!!-dessert being served while performing!!Huge auditorium while this is on!!

People who hired you liked it & you got good money & extra gigs-That says it all!!-Your 2nd video clip is excellent!!

Cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL