The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
MrMagic1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MrMagic1
I have the same problem with them as you do. I cant find a routine that will relate with my other things.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
I don't do the Linking Rings - I strongly believe that in my hands, it will be the most boring effect ever. I have seen BJ Powers do a nice routine, worth watching if you get the chance.

However, so many routines look alike. But I did see one routine that struck me as very original - mainly because it wasn't done as a linking ring effect. Dave Brown came onto the stage carrying a duffel bag. After a bit of by-play with his buttons (Chinese Pom Pom style), he said he wanted to show us something. He pulled a ring out of his bag, only to get it linked on the handles. After a lot of by-play and struggling (and a lot of laughter), he eventually removed the ring - only to use it to try and get a spider to jump through it.

I nearly wet myself from laughing so much!
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How about chris capehart's routine.
That should suit just about anyone.

It's short and easy to do. Only uses 3 rings.
It's also bold and plays well to those that think they know how it works.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Chris' routine is good, but I have used Al Koran's three ring routine as well as my own five ring version if I need a longer segment and talk.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Tom, Huge rings. Whose are you using?
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
180 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I've used the Rings for about 35 years. I only use two..... and normally have them 'examined' several times during the fairly short routine. Unless you are a Richard Ross, who did the rings as if reading poetry, you might stick to a few principles.... Let the spectators handle the rings, have a tight routine, and keep it short.

I collect them as well (unfortunately) and they are often hard to tell apart. I use Owens 10 inchers with a normal k--, but have also collected an older Porper 3 ring set with locking k-- (hollow rings...but I didn't know they were alloy before reading Pete's post), Mid-America's wonderful hollow /locking 12 inch set, RNT sets, and even the Koran Silver Rings.

I use the same routine for every set except the Koran rings. These are 15 inches, and solid, and I just can't do some of my normal moves as these things are just so heavy. I can bench 300 in a pinch, but these rings are almost too much for me.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hi,
Great posts on this eternal topic. This is a small thing but perhaps it will help someone: Going back to Steve's original post, I too love the rings but really felt reserved about doing them because I assumed the exposure was too widespread. I also realize that if they are done skillfully they defy the exposure.
They key to my coming to terms with the linking rings was by starting with the script, the introduction if you will. Once I had settled in my own mind what the framework was going to be for me to show this to the audience, then I ran wild with it. I love the rings and will continue to build on my concept for years to come.
One of my biggest pet peves in all of magic is to see the rings done in a "throw away" manner. No matter what presentational mode you choose, give this ancient mystery the thought and care that it deserves. Many happy penetrations to you all!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I received my first set of 8 rings when I was a teenager. It took me a long time to understand them. I have been performing a eight ring rountine for years. I recently received the Chris Capehart's, Cellini's and Whit's dvds from Frank. I am now working on different rountines for different audiences.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Funny, I had a thought last night about ... what if someone asked me to do one trick on a flat floor situtation (like a country club party) and I realized the one trick that would be bullet proof, entertaining, get their attention, etc. was the Linking Rings.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magiccop1
View Profile
New user
Right Here
35 Posts

Profile of magiccop1
It's a classic and has stood the test of time. Perfect for any show really.
"The Enforcer"
"I'm not a Wizard. Are you Happy ? You should be."
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1218 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
For me, the "key" is to hand out ALL the rings early in the routine as the old-timers used to. That means eight or more rings, of course, but it can even fool magicians if you do. I did the rings for the magic club at Dennys in Baltimore a few months back and a couple of guys asked later if I had a new special set or something. And the gasps I get from lay audiences once I get the rings back persuades me it still fools if the rings are examined. Without esamination, as Levent has observed, they might appreciate the choreography, but they aren't really fooled. The only thing you need is some good patter to fill the dead space while the rings are being examined - and the ability to hurry that along without making it seem like you're afraid they'll find something...
Marc
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Quote:
On 2001-09-15 02:32, Steve Brooks wrote:
Okay...I’ll admit it, I have a set of Bumper linking rings, and I never use them.

Sure, I have excuses. The masked magician exposed them, yada, yada, yada.

But everytime I see them performed, I keep thinking; "I have got to start doing this!".

Truth is, I have never found a routine that really fits my style. The closest I’ve seen is Whit Hayden’s routine.

Any ideas and or suggestions? Smile

With youtube today, you can look at many different routines and just modify each of them to make up your own. A lot of great routines on YouTube.
vincentmusician
View Profile
New user
Toronto
21 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Yes. I did not perform the rings for years because they were exposed, and thought this is not going to fool anyone. After another magician sent me a video of a routine, I thought about giving it a try. I finally performed them at a Banquet Hall and the Rings got the best reaction in my whole show!
I then realized something. Even if people know how it is done, if you perform them well and entertain with them, the audience likes this. Also, do not focus on trying to let the method stop you from performing the rings. I focus my routine on Entertainment, Comedy and audience involvement. If you do this, that is what the audience will focus on.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3381 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2439 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
First, let me say that Pop's routine is the best 4 ring routine on the planet!

Quote:
On Sep 17, 2020, vincentmusician wrote:
Yes. I did not perform the rings for years because they were exposed, and thought this is not going to fool anyone. After another magician sent me a video of a routine, I thought about giving it a try. I finally performed them at a Banquet Hall and the Rings got the best reaction in my whole show!
I then realized something. Even if people know how it is done, if you perform them well and entertain with them, the audience likes this.

I seem to get great reactions from people who DO know how they're done. I have to expose that I'm using a traditional set of 8 during lectures or magician's don't believe me. We need to focus on why this is a great illusion to take advantage of it for the greatest mystery. It uses multiple conflicting methods. I'm constantly utilizing these at cross purposes to convince the audience there is a single method and if they just watch closer, they can catch it. I can't overstate what a great reaction this gets and is the reason I have used this in nearly every show for the past 40 years or so... from 5000 seat arenas to intimate standup shows... it is always the strongest reaction I get.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8826 Posts

Profile of funsway
I performed this a lot in my younger days and always got a good response. Then I added the move where a spectator holds the ring extended out from their fists.
I hold the my single ring horizontal between both hands. First a tap at he desired spot on both rings with their nose inches away. Then the clink and link, as they shout,
"I saw it go through!" or "By 'gum' it really happened!" Their reaction as witness makes a lot of difference to those in the back. Get as many people as possible to handle the rings.

I also used to pass out the rings at the door "folks willing to be called onto help." All eight rings were out in the audience being played with.
WhenI needed a volunteer I would ask folks to hold up their ring or pass it to another. When they came up I collected the rings on a small table.

When I started the ring routine I would pick them up and retrieve any rings still out. A simple switch of the entire set was accomplished by just folding over the table cloth.

This "pre-exploration" eliminated any suspicion or desire to examine the rings and had many people involved in the effect as I could ask, "Is this your ring?" or
I think this is the ring Beth loaned me." or "Jim over there polished this ring - I'll use it next." Maybe just my style, but I think it added to the astonishment and memory.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Chinese Linking Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL