The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Isn't it all about your introduction, not what the first trick is? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Hey guys,

I was just thihnking about this, many people say not to start off with a card trick as your first trick, but isn't it about how you set it up in your introduction. For example, you introduce yourself, what you do, they say they want to see some magic, and you patter about how everybody can do magic and a lot of people don't take advantage of it, and they are going to do everything and be the magician, and you go into a card trick where they do everything, like shufflecutdeal from jay sankey. So isn't it about how you set the effect up? It tells them that it isn't going to be the old 21 card trick, and they are ready for it. What do you think? Just thinking about this.

Matt
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
It's all about your persona. See Derren Brown's books on this topic. He talks a lot about building rapport with an audience before even doing magic.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
I prefer to set a mood before performing I work on putting their minds in the right place so I get maximum reactions I call it the set up.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I find that with magic, being a primarily VISUAL medium, it really helps to have a little eye candy pretty quick for the spectators. This way you establish that you are indeed magical, not by telling, but by showing. I wouldn't begin with a card effect, unless it was a quick card vanish.

Then again, if people at a table already seem excited by my imminent approach, it doesn't really matter what I start with, because they're already in the magical mood. I guess it depends on if I need to entice them with a treat (like the novel that begins with a dramatic plot element in the first paragraph), or if they are appreciators of magical literature and can enjoy a couple of pages of character development before the action happens.

I suppose if you manage to amaze and entertain them, you have done your job.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I usually start with "Hi..."(produce a sponga ball from someones ear)...My name is Derek...blah blah blah" Smiling broadly. If they agree to the magic I usually say "well I'll need another one of these (sponge balls) and reach behind their ear and get another one and go in to SB routine.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I agree with Todsky. Why start with a card trick?

Magic is MUCH more than cards...and a lot of people don't want to see card tricks. They would much rather see something ORIGINAL!!! I think one should make the magic seem, well, magical.

Do something impromptu with whatever you find around. Use a key, handkerchief, matches, napkins, rocks on the ground...etc...

Good luck thinking about all the possibilities to make your "visit", well, magical!!! Mark.
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Bill Malone had some good ideas on this. Try this: Approach a table and just say almost out of breath, "Man...I called you but you didn't answer! Well I'm here now and we can start. Didn't think I was gonna make it! Let me know next time if you're gonna be here early." This sounds crazy, but it does work. Most people will be so confused and curious, they wont stop you when you shove a deck in their face or jingle a few coins.

Another idea is to just walk up to a table and say, did anyone lose a wallet? Now bring out you Kaps on fire and let 'er rip! This is a David Stone idea, and it is quick visual and lets them know your entertainment. You can't give them the chance to say no! If nothing do one trick! If after that you can see they aren't impressed, MOVE ON! Most people will ask for more or will be genuinely interested and that's your cue to start your set.

Jonathan
Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
I was trying to get at what todsky, if you set the tone for the magic before you show the first trick, then to me, it really doesn't matter what type of magic you begin with as long as the spectators are already in a "magical state" if you will, and if you set up the trick. Agree or disagree? Thoughts? And I wasn't meaning necessarily just cards, I mean it really doesn't matter what you start with if you do the above. Just wondering what you gusy thought about this, and by the way, I don't always start with cards, very rarley actually. But trying to do it more.
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Absolutely. Magic is a state of mind. If you set the audience in the mindset that they are going to see miracles and you are an entertainer here to make sure they enjoy their stay you are in. Bonding with the audience on an emotional level is a biggie. Asking their names (and using them throughout the performance), where they are from, how the night is going, food etc....When they realize you are a human being, and that you are going to leave them with a memorable experience, your opener does not matter in terms of the medium- eg. cards vs. coins vs. sponges and so on. As an opener, I will often use coins- a production and vanish sequence that is: V-E-I-L
1. Visual
2. Easy to follow
3. Involves the audience on some level and
4. Leaves an impression if you have to go in case of waitstaff dbringing food or something.

This establishes the style and mood and will leave them wanting more. So yes- prepping the audience is necessary, because it sets them up for the next few minutes and allows them enjoy themselves, no matter what the props are.

Regards,
Jonathan Brown
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thank you Jonathan. I like your VEIL idea. Sounds like something I need to give some more thought to myself. I appreciate your sharing. Mark.
Kfmagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Kfmagic
Yes thank you jonathan for sharing that. I totally agree with everything you said, and that was the whole point of my post. To see if it was all about the intro and setting up the trick, instead of the actual first trick itself, and I am convinced that it is, and your post really laid it out for me and everyone else. Thanks so much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Isn't it all about your introduction, not what the first trick is? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL