The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Missing the show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
What do you do when you can't make a show you have promised to do. Although this has yet to happen to me, I would like to know what are your systems to cover shows when an emergency happens.
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22351 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe you are asking if you are a man of your word or not. If you promise something then do it.

As far as doing shows, the old adage 'The show must go on is the only answer'. If you are not in the hospital, you do the show. Period!
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
I couldn't agree more but surely you must have a contingency in place for the worst case scenario

certainly if you do kid show you would not do the show with the flu

I try to keep 2 other performers numbers in my schedule book to cover if this happens
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I have missed a show twice in 14 years. My response both times was the same, humble apologies (despite there being nothing I could do to change the situation) and an offer of a free show (which was accepted both times).

If you have never missed a show be thankful. Situations occur and having a strategy to cope is not unreasonable. On one of the two occasions I had a 4 hour traffic delay on a 1 hour journey and had left 2 hours before I was due to perform. I knew there was no point phoning any of my colleagues as they were only going to run into the same traffic.

Sometimes the show can't go on, in which case you still want your customer to have kind thoughts about you.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I've cancelled one show in forty-two years. We gave a week's notice. Lucy's substitute doctor came up missing. The people were very understanding. The following year we were there for the show.

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I have missed only one show is 7 years. I was in the hospital with congestive heart failure and my wife called up a booking agent that we know and had a replacement out there for me at the same price we had qouted. Thank goodnes my wife remembered because I was in no shape to even think about it.

I did cancel one show, however. A woman called and booked us for a "Make A Wish Foundation" picnic for dieing children. This is the one place where I will never charge for anything and will even supply gifts for all the children there. Well I had to get directions and the exact time of the show about a week before it was scheduled and when I called the number she gave me it was out of order, so I called the Make A Wish office.

They told me that there was no picnic that Saturday. So I mentioned that Ms X had booked me they said well she has a family reunion on Saturday that she is going to. That one got canceled on the spot.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
While having never cancelled yet!!

I would always ensure a talented back up performer that you know who may be able to fill the spot

But as mentioned earlier unless you are actually dead or dying -even if you feel like you have to delay your funeral!

Get to the show!!!!!!!!!!

As Ken Weber mentions in his book-The audience don't care if your ill-They just want to be entertained!!!

cheers
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Paddy,
That is the saddest, sickest, thing I think I've ever heard. Did you confront the woman about the issue?
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 12:25, wizardofsorts wrote:
Paddy,
That is the saddest, sickest, thing I think I've ever heard. Did you confront the woman about the issue?
Edd

OH YES!! She heard ablout it, I also sent a letter to the National office of Make A Wish with a copy to the local office about this.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Paddy,

I have run into the same issue recently. Fortunately, it didn't get that far. She said "I'm with XYZ Large Corporation and there's a picnic on X date at Y time I'd like to hire you for." She was purposely vague and didn't say that the event she'd like to hire me for was even related to the XYZ company she was with. It was for a completely different group (with much different needs & budgets). It didn't come out until I was gathering venue information from her near the end of her call that she wanted me to do magic at her Bingo Club!

On missing shows, I agree the show must go on! But I had a strolling gig in a nursing home a few years back and there was a highly contagious flu that I contracted two days before the gig. It would have been very dangerous for me to go into a nursing home and do strolling magic where I would have been interacting with people to whom this flu could have been life threatening. This is one of the instances where you simply NEED to get a replacement. And any professional needs to have a roster of other professionals for each of their markets (I would never ask a birthday party magician to fill in for me in a corporate setting and vice-versa).

MK
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
That's probably one of the worst things I have heard Paddy- I'm the kinda guy who has an explosive temper ( heck I'll admit it) if that happens to me I don't know what I'd do.

I never work for free so I don't have that problem.

applause doesn't pay the bills.

Do the bar tenders work for free?
No

As for missing shows - never. in 9 years.

suck it in, smile and do the show

David
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Never cancelled because of sickness.Crashed my car once and couldn't make it.

When I was younger, on MORE then one occasion I have not shown up for a gig because my booking system was flawed.

:(

Luckily, in every case, I was able to rush over a do the booking.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
What is the provision in your contract for a missed show? Is it treated?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't miss shows..........yea I should say I have been fortunate enough that circumstances have not mounted up on me so as to need to do so.....

I have no recourse if it happens.....at comedy clubs and such your the headliner.. they can find someone else....at the corporate shows it is tough to find someone else to do them.....I have been fortunate indeed the more I think of it
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-05-07 10:09, icentertainment wrote:
I'm the kinda guy who has an explosive temper

LOL! Good with kids are you? Ah come on....I bet your great with 60 screaming unruly kids grabbing your props. An Aussie magi with explosive temper in action would be fun viewing. Hehehehe.

Just kidding ya David.

Within this and similar topics, I seem to find the seasoned performers marching on with the attitude that 'the show must go on'. A paying customer, manager, or agent, could certainly appreciate that ethic in any artist. Bob Sanders canceling two shows in forty years is something you can't hold a candle up to. He's been performing longer than I've been alive! Pete Biro once had to follow through with a performance and did so with a bucket off stage to take care of business and carrying out his performance with a fever. And you know doing anything, other than laying in bed, with a fever, is pretty awful.

Of course one shouldn't foolishly follow through with the promise if it's to lead to a shameful and pathetic performance. If your in the hospital then stay there until recuperated.

It's these seasoned performers who push themselves to a high standard, and being there own bosses, cut themselves less slack than the amateur. I've detected this as one of several tough qualities that separate the pros from the wannabes.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Just to shimne in here a minute, people do get sick as we are not superhuman. =) I guess the real question of being a professional is in how we handle the situation when it comes up.

In many cases, I will always do a performance that I am contracted for even if I am not always up to par. As long as I feel I can get on stage and do a 100% quality show, then I will do so and smile doing it. There is plenty of time to feel sick in the truck on the way home.

However, as others have stated, I will not do a performance if I feel that my illness will effect my ability to deliver a quality show to my client. It is just not fair to them or thewir patrons.

In this situation, I work as a solutions provider for my client. I have been blessed enough to have a great network of friends and fellow performers. We work as a network in the event something like this comes up. I can always go to them to fill in for me. I then contact the client and make all arrangements for them so they do not have to.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-12-18 12:50, RandyStewart wrote:

Within this and similar topics, I seem to find the seasoned performers marching on with the attitude that 'the show must go on'. A paying customer, manager, or agent, could certainly appreciate that ethic in any artist. Bob Sanders canceling two shows in forty years is something you can't hold a candle up to. He's been performing longer than I've been alive! Pete Biro once had to follow through with a performance and did so with a bucket off stage to take care of business and carrying out his performance with a fever. And you know doing anything, other than laying in bed, with a fever, is pretty awful...

It's these seasoned performers who push themselves to a high standard, and being their own bosses, cut themselves less slack than the amateur. I've detected this as one of several tough qualities that separate the pros from the wannabes.

Randy,

Thanks for the recognition, but you doubled the number of shows missed. I missed only one in my first forty-two years. (That is all I have ever missed in forty-four years of magic and forty-seven years as a professional entertainer.) I cancelled a week before because Lucy's substitute doctor came up missing. Lucy is also a practicing physician. That was in 2004. But we made up for the show in 2005 and we are rebooked for the show 2006. Apparently we were forgiven!

(Hurricane Rita ran me off in Houston this September. But the audience left first!)

As they would say in Texas, "Some folks you can just count on to come aridin'."

One of the most important parts of life's game is that you must be present to win.

Perhaps that's why our contracts have no provision for not showing up.

I like your observation. But please break my record. Everyone benefits!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I missed one show when my dad died and one show when I had strep throat. This is in over 20 years of full-time performing.

The best thing you can do is get to know other great performers who do a similar show and can handle similar venues. Build a professional relationship with them. Then if you cannot perform, you can call them to see who is available. Then, call your client, explain the situation and offer them the replacement (be sure to offer the client references, flyers, website, etc. of this performer.)

The substitute performers should work for the original fee. If the client does not want to use your substitute performer I believe it is integral to refund any deposit, even if the contract said different (or even if you bought a non-refundable airline ticket.) You want to keep your reputation totally clean of bad talk and it is worth the expense to keep your integrity intact. After all, it isn't going to happen often.

Afterward, do damage control. Send the client a "thank you" card for being understanding. Maybe send them some chocolate. Then call them to find out how the show went. Let them know you ARE competent and that you truly care. Then they will hire you back.

So a word to the wise performer, take care of your health. Keep your immune system in top shape and you will do great!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Until three years ago, I had never missed a show. & then it happened, I came down with the flu. I was able to get other magicians to fill the bill. I left for one show that was 30 minutes away. There was a snowstorm & a terrible accident. After 2 1/2 hours on the road, I had to turn back. Another one had two feet of snow & I told them I could not get there.

While I felt terrible about missing the above shows. It could not be helped. The clients were all understanding & most have hired me back again.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm well aware that it could. So, I keep a list of "acceptable" performers at home, and a few of these names in my pocket datebook.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Missing the show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL