The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Any good impromptu mentalism tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
You can always do Dan Harlan's 1089 trick. It is a good impromptu prediction.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Is Dan Harlan's 1089 trick any different than the standard 1089 trick?
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
>Most of the ones that I've found out there, get the "that's neat" reaction, but nothing more.

Maybe you should try to improve the presentation of the ones you already do.

Try to stretch things by making a recap before revealing the answers. Emphasize points which you could have no knowledge of. Slightly reword actions (example from Mr. Osterlind's MM2 "you mixed the cards" instead of "you cut the cards several times" if the spectator actually did the latter).

Often enough a "so what?" is not the result of a weak trick, but of wrong patter/presentation of the entire routine.

Also consider the entire length of an effect - both too fast and too slow pacing can kill the effect.
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
If you are looking for WOW or stunned silence try Psychokinetic Touch by Banacek which requires nothing but you and 2 spectators.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Kathy's Screwy Finger Bit (Magic Menu, Jim Ryan Issue).
Equivoque (when done correctly, this is as close to the real thing as you are going to get)
PK Key (do it in their hand, on their fingertips)

Do those three successfully with someone and you can start your own cult. The first one often gets a "screamer" response, honestly. But do it in all seriousness. NO humor at all. As there are NO props, this really blows people away.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
There's so many -
Derren's card stuff as mentioned.
Centre tear
Osterlind's watch routine
Book tests (Hoy)
Pk time/touches
Ring of truth
Psychological tests(my favourite is in Biss's opening routine from Messing with minds, and many things in PS by Banachek, obviously (eg ABCD..))
Reversal
Magic Square
Spoon bending
Equivoque (as Lee said, can be the 'real' thing)
TERASBOS

The list goes on and on...

Simon

(I'm sure this can and will be added to)

(Actually, think I'm going to start performing deliberately with NOTHING on me! (as in props before you ask - or its a whole different type of show - I was young and nneded the money...)
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Hoy BOOK TEST is pretty impromptu, as long as you're around books.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Agreed - Hoy was in the list!! Smile

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On 2005-05-26 00:35, Magicsquared wrote:
Is Dan Harlan's 1089 trick any different than the standard 1089 trick?

You know, that's a good question. I don't know the answer to that really...It probally isn't except for when you buy shrinky Ink you get a pen with the 1089 prediction. Something else that you can do, I have been reading "Practical Mental Effects" By annemann, and there is an effect that you can do using a page from a news paper or magizine that would probally pack a real good punch.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13393 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Psy. touches is darn cool if you have the guts to do it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Raphlo2,
All of the above are great items to perform. In reference to your concern of them not having an great impact... do you perform mentalism pieces after some magic, or before... In what manner do you do them?

A psychological force or other such impromtu mental effects pack all the power you need to impress. Just perfom them as if you are taking these "tests" seriously. But not sandwiched between some other "magic" items.

Another tip I'm sure Scott Wells will agree with: check out the non-contact mindreading section in Banchek's Pyschophysiological Thought Reading Book. There is a great "think of number" routine that will kill (no force), and this method can be applied to any thought of items. If you use your imagination this simple method (only a short chapter in the book), can provide some very intriguing imromptu material.

Sean Waters
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
A great impronmtu mentallism effect would be a magic square if you know one
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
Quote:
There is a great "think of number" routine that will kill (no force)

It kills people without force??? Smile

Sorry, couldn't resist Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I like the "one-ahead" divination of a color, a number, a famous person and a chosen coin. Very portable, very impromptu and very startling. All you need is a pad & pencil and a few bits of spare change.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
I have banacheks psi series 1, if you carry a few business card you can do most of the stuff on there if you adapt it, this n that is great.Im working on a few different presentation on it
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Max Maven has some very good mentalism effects in his new series of books. They are a little expensive, but if you are interested, you will put in the money.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Yeah they are really expensive
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Yes. very expensive.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
enigmax
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
115 Posts

Profile of enigmax
I use a Card Prediction effect Docc Hilford taught on "Real Mind Reading". It isn't sure fire, but if you do it with a group of people, at least someone in the group will be thinking of the card, most often more than one. I get hits more often than misses. The great thing about impromptu mentalism, a miss is simply proof that you aren't using "Magic tricks".

Of course, if all you ever get are misses, you won't get hired very often (and you'll have a hard time explaining them all to the Mrs.)
"To be on the wire is life, the rest is waiting"
Karl Wallenda
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17551 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That Docc Hilford card trick with no cards is not a trick when it works....It's REAL MIND READING.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Any good impromptu mentalism tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL