The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My balls bounce! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
I just received a new set of cups and balls. (magictricks.com the C&B manufacturer was Morrisey) And as I am getting a feel for turning the cup over I hear the ball bounce.
The balls look like cork under the crochet, but I cannot tell.
Now I on the 2000th turn over, about 2 hours in. Ive reduced the bounce by 20%

Am I missing something or should I just buy another set?
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Are you using a mat?

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
What kind of surface are you working on?
The balls ARE cork under crocheted yarn but you certainly shouldn't be able to hear one hit the table!
Smile
Tolga Ozuygur
View Profile
New user
Istanbul / Turkey
60 Posts

Profile of Tolga Ozuygur
I may recommend you to use either a soft surface like a mat. But you should NOT hear the noise. Maybe if you do it alittle bit harder, the tapping of the cup and the balls strike mix each other. Smile Smile Smile
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
Surface make a differance! Thank you. But I still get noisy bounces (which probably only I will hear) and just a bad "feel" (Ball bouncing around! There might be an act idea there!!).
I will go to my nearest magic shop. Is there a suggestion about best balls, to buy?

Thinking that I may have made a mistake.
Begins my wonder.

Are those $300-400 cups and balls sets a good investment for the beginner?

Also which books/videos have the best routines?

Thanks for your patience. There will be more
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Personally, I don't recommend $300-400 cups and balls for the beginner. There are much more useful ways for a beginning magician to spend his money.
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Table Hopping Cups and Balls with Carl Andrews (DVD) $16.95 you can get it a penguin magic for that price
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have used a set of Morrisey cups for over twenty years and they work just fine. I have never heard any "talking" of the balls that came with the set. I did have my lovely wife crochet me a set of balls with matching large load balls for the finish. These were not even cork but wooden beads, painted and then covered with a like colored thread.

It is possible that the set you have are unusually hard or more likely, that you are so attuned to hearing the sound having first done it on an incorrect surface, you tend to fill in the sound or hear it louder than it actually is.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
200 Posts

Profile of Sean
I'm practicing cups and balls on our ironing board, and I get some noise when I flip the cup over. It worried my at first, but then I realized (1) if I get a close-up mat it probably won't happen. (I've considered putting a towel down on the board as a temporary measure.) and (2) if I time things right, the ball sounds like a cup hitting the board as I flip it over.

My big problem is that I bought plastic fruit at the craft store for final loads and they make noise sometimes as I'm either loading them into the cup or setting the cup down. Ammar suggested lining the cups with felt. Has anyone done that? Or any other suggestions?

I'm using cheapie aluminum beginner cups, btw. Haven't moved up to the big boy stuff yet.

As for routines, I'm practicing the one from Mark Wilson's book.
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
In the 10 months since I posted the original query, I have found out a few things.

Initially, noise does not matter. It is a wonderful way to be distracted from the real important lessons to be learned from C&B misdirection and rhythm.

I bought the morrisey combo cups. Which has a chop cup included. The chop cup distracts from the handling as bad as it does sound to the beginner (me, at least).

Otherwise, a cheap set of cups is all you need; no one will know the differance.

There is so much practice to do, wasting time on trivial things like sound and having the proper surface or the right wand or patter lines is a fools mission. One has to put ones nose to the grindstone and sweat out a decent and fluid routine.

I recommend Micheal Ammars book and video's.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Ammar Videos and book are excellent.

There are other books out there that you should look at also. If you can find a copy of Hocus Pocus, Jr., you will see some of the most valuable advice on the way you should hold your hand when you are holding out a ball. The book was written in 1634 and the ideas in it are still valid.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My balls bounce! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL