The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paypal from bank, card, or (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Paypal has not responded to an email I sent from their site a week ago. Could anyone give me their phone number? Or would you consider my question:
I want to be able to control whether Paypal charges my credit card (as they did initially and until I hit some limit after which they wanted to charge my bank account). To continue use, I 'confirmed' my bank account with them and they made direct withdrawals. Now the Paypal site indicates I have a small 'balance' that does not reflect a deposit I made in the bank 15 days ago. How do I update my 'balance?' Can I control whetherPaypal gets their money from my Credit Card (CC) or directly from my bank? If so, I'd choose my CC when the cost of my purchase exceeded my bank balance (or what Paypal thinks my account has). Paypal's knowledge base describes payments coming by default from the customer's confirmed bank and then from his CC only if his bank balance is insufficient. Obviously, I do not want the bank to charge an 'Insufficient Funds' fee.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 15:31, ehands wrote:
Paypal has not responded to an email I sent from their site a week ago. Could anyone give me their phone number? Or would you consider my question:
I want to be able to control whether Paypal charges my credit card (as they did initially and until I hit some limit after which they wanted to charge my bank account). To continue use, I 'confirmed' my bank account with them and they made direct withdrawals. Now the Paypal site indicates I have a small 'balance' that does not reflect a deposit I made in the bank 15 days ago. How do I update my 'balance?' Can I control whetherPaypal gets their money from my Credit Card (CC) or directly from my bank? If so, I'd choose my CC when the cost of my purchase exceeded my bank balance (or what Paypal thinks my account has). Paypal's knowledge base describes payments coming by default from the customer's confirmed bank and then from his CC only if his bank balance is insufficient. Obviously, I do not want the bank to charge an 'Insufficient Funds' fee.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Usually when making a purchase, it will show that the funds are coming from your bank account. There is an option to change the funding source. There should be a button or link or something when you checkout that will allow you to change it to a credit card.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Yes, anytime you send money there is a box asking which source it should come from.

Also, the balance is not your bank balance but the balance of your "paypal" account which can be moved into the bank account if you so wish.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 20:01, Daegs wrote:
Also, the balance is not your bank balance but the balance of your "paypal" account which can be moved into the bank account if you so wish.

And vice-versa? I can increase my 'Paypal balance' to buy more stuff by signing on at Paypal and authorizing them to take more money out of my bank account before I buy things? If so, I'd want to wait and do it when I was ready to send the money and then just move only what I need a minute before I'd ask Paypal to send it to the seller. Would that work? It was a lot simpler (and safer) when they'd put it on the credit card. But this wasy they get their money faster. Don't blame 'em. Thanks
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
When you sign up for PayPal, you give them a direct link into your bank account. You don't move any money from your bank account to PayPal - PayPal just goes into your account and takes what you've authorized for any particular transaction. You don't need to keep any PayPal balance to pay someone. Since you've given them a direct link, they know your actual balance. I think if you have a PayPal balance and are making a payment, PayPal will first use up any PayPal balance, then go into your bank account to make up any shortage (or charge your credit card, if that's what you choose).

That said, you could probably set up several accounts with your bank and only give PayPal access to one of them. Then when you want to pay with PayPal, you'd transfer funds from your main account into your PayPal only account. Come to think of it, I should probably set up my own accounts this way.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Law,
The HelpLine on eBay could not understand my question. Your answer hit the bullseye + being clear and concise. Thanks so much! Do you need a job/reference? Smile-E
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
When you sign up for PayPal, you give them a direct link into your bank account. You don't move any money from your bank account to PayPal - PayPal just goes into your account and takes what you've authorized for any particular transaction. You don't need to keep any PayPal balance to pay someone.

Actually this is partially wrong, they don't have a "direct" link to your bank account.

Usually, it is done in the form of "E-Checks"(depending on your bank, it could possibly be direct but generally I've found E-checks are the norm at least in my area).

These take 2-5 days to clear before the money gets sent....

So if I had a paypal balance of $0.00 and wanted to buy something, paypal would take money out of my account(waiting for it to clear 2-5 days) and then transfer it instantly to the seller....

I usually keep $50 dollars in the paypal account though, because then the money gets sent *instantly* and you don't have to wait for the transfer from your bank.
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Quote:
On 2005-05-04 01:26, Daegs wrote:

Actually this is partially wrong, they don't have a "direct" link to your bank account.

Usually, it is done in the form of "E-Checks"(depending on your bank, it could possibly be direct but generally I've found E-checks are the norm at least in my area).

These take 2-5 days to clear before the money gets sent....

So if I had a paypal balance of $0.00 and wanted to buy something, paypal would take money out of my account(waiting for it to clear 2-5 days) and then transfer it instantly to the seller....

That's not the way my account works - mine works exactly as I described. I do have an option to pay with e-checks, but I keep a $0 balance and by default the money is transferred instantly out of my account - with no wait to clear.

PayPal has a few different types of accounts (and different statuses within those accounts - verified, confirmed address, ...) - maybe that accounts for this difference? Bottom line - try to sort through the fine print when you sign up, it's important stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paypal from bank, card, or (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL