The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Resources to learn Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Well, I'm on my way to buy the cup and balls set, but I was wondering, Which are the best materials (videos, books, etc.) to learn from?

Thank you very much
MAGO68
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ammar's book seems good to me but it's the only book i have. it has 2 complete routines in it. His and Vernons.

His videos I've heard are too slow paced and not worth the money BUT I DO NOT HAVE THEM. the comment I read did stop me from buying them, however.

here's the wand
here's a cup. here's the top of the cup. here's the bottom of the cup. here's the next cup. here's .....
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Frank, I'd have to disagree about the Ammar tapes. I found them to be very thorough and an excellent source of material. For me (a beginner) they were well worth the money.

In addition, I think there other great sources. Rapheal Benatar has a video on the cups. Johnny Thompson has a super routine on his 4vol video set. David Regal's routine is one of the best. The Steven's vid on the CnB is also a must-have.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I also thought the video had some great information. I did have to use the fast forward several times because of the super practice. that made it a little slow but I felt it was worth every penny. They are very long tapes I think one is almost two hours so if you can use a fast forward (and rewind at times) they are very good. Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

ok. well, I'm glad they're worth it. Ammar is a good teacher. I'm glad his videos are worth it. That makes it a good buy.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
If you're first starting out, I found Mark Wilson's course in the "big book" very helpful. Good illustrations and a breakdown step by step of what to do. You end up with lemons under the cups. By the way, me recommending a book is a good recommendation, trust me, because I am not mechanically oriented at all and prefer learning through video, but it book really helped.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi,
I have to second the opinion that Ammar's tapes are worth every cent, and they make an excellent companion to his book on the topic.
Another interesting source is the "Cups and Balls Video" from the Greater Magic Video Library. Beside Ammar's routine, you will see Charlie Miller, Johnny Paul and Mike Rogers perform and explain their methods.
Quite interesting.
Hope this helps.
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Does Ammar's book have a decent Chop cup part or is it just cups and balls?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

no chop cup in ammar's book. if you're interested in a good chop cup routine and/or cups and balls routine look no further than John Bannon's Impossibilia book.

Excellent routining. very well thought out.

I also hear that dennis loomis' mini chop cup routine is great
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
The Vernon Book of Magic is a wonderful source for an outstanding routine: the best Cups and Balls in existence. Vernon has captured the real essence of the effect; if you master his version, you'll have a masterpiece in your hands. Go back to the Classics!
Regards
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree with everything said. Amnmar's videos are great and the book had added material so you get more. But the cups and balls isn't about moves necessarily, it's about timing. I watched the table hopping cups and balls video on MagicSmith, and i must say that I really like it. Watch a couple of routines, learn the vernon routine!, and learn a couple of extra moves and you're on your way to a great performance.
Bryan
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
Suggest you purchase a book first before investing in any expensive set of cups and balls.

You can always practice with plastic cups beakers etc before deciding on you final purchase.

You might like to start with the ChopCup Book by Mark Wilson - it will serve as a good primer to get you started.

MikeM Smile Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have some videos to recomend on the cups and balls . Stars of Magic Frank Garcia vol one , Erick De camp and finally my personal favorite Aldo Colombino Lasting Impressions vol four .. these are wonderful routines,. and the explainations are very clear
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Michael Ammars book and both of the cups and ball videos are very good. The videos have a huge amount of material, thus it takes a good deal of time to sort through it and come up with your own routine. It's well worth it though!
Smile
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Resources to learn Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL