The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classroom Show... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
I can't execute all of my effects, though. I just got the Stripper and Erazer decks a few days ago, and can't perform the colour changing ball to jumbo square because my hands are tiny. I'm familiar with most sponge ball sleights but haven't tried any hard tricks/ or routines. I still need to make up good patter for all of my effects, too. I'll still need to work on them, krist0pher.
-Jamie
krist0pher
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of krist0pher
There was a famous Magician once, I can't remember his name exactly right now, but he had small stubby hands and he still became one of the most memorable of us all. Let no tiny hands stop you! Smile
Kristopher Scofield

Myspace.com/imkrisscofield
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
Ah, my hands won't stop me! (Besides the fact that lots of card magic requires palming Smile) Thanks for the input though. Everyone in my class is looking forward to the show.
-Jamie
colibrimagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of colibrimagic
I think krist0pher is thinkign of max malini, I think that's his name anyway, he could palm with ease aswell as backpalm. Tiny hands dosn't mean anything I should know my hands are pretty small. Good work saying your hands wont stop you so many newish magicians complain about small hands its like a broken record.
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Either do something you know how to do already and just adapt the patter, or try The Locked Deck, I did it when I was 12 infront of a whole class. Explain how it's a tribute to Houdini, lock him in place, pan it out, tell the story, build some suspense. IT's a very effective trick with the right story.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
I don't have time to get any new effects, Mustang. Though I would be interested in buying it later. Where could I get it?
-Jamie
Soupdragon
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soupdragon
I've been helping some youngsters prepare for first performances & the best advice I can give is
1. Start with your easiest foolproof items. Helps you get into the swing of things & build confidence.
2. Make sure your 1st effect is a visual grabber - there's nothing better than that first "wow" from an audience
3. Prepare yourself for the fact that something might go wrong - there's a thread on one of these forums about what funny things you can say if you do fluff something.
4. Keep things in perspective. Don't get stressed - it's a steep learning curve & whatever happens lots of people will admire your guts & skill!

I'm no expert but do have some first hand experience of helping teenagers perform basic magic for the first time. PM me if you need any speccccccccccccccci advice..... & let us know how it went!

Oooooops - I have a new keyboard & my last post was meant to say "special" not specccccccccccccccci
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
For the opener I think I'm going to do a torn and restored paper. I have also decided to take out the rubber bands (I'm not as good with them) and instead use my Stripper deck for some effects I found in my book. Everyone likes card tricks. Thanks for the tips SoupDragon.
-Jamie
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
You can get the locked deck from http://www.davenportsmagic.co.uk, it's very easy to do, the practice is in the presentation. If you're in the UK, careful with your torn and restored newspaper, it was recently shown on a popular TV programme called "Faking It" and a lot of people wont be very impressed unless you can show both sides of the paper before and after the restoration. If you need any help with card effects or how to make ur effects play for 30 people PM me, I'll explain to you how to make ur existing tricks play bigger.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yo,

Magician with the small hands was Max Malini, possibly the greatest close-up magician of all time.

Advice: Have your first routine one that you have nailed down and that is virtually impossible to screw up. Best,
Brad Burt
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
I finished my show. The day was tightly scheduled so I only got about 6 or 7 minutes in. I did torn and restored paper, vanishing water trick (Don't know what it's called), and a sponge ball routine. One thing went wrong... On the last part of the sponge ball routine my assistant opened his hand before I told him to and some extra sponge balls fell out. Ouch...
-Jamie
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Excellent, Jamie! I'm glad it went well. After a bit of thinking, I bet you'll have a sponge ball entry for "Lessons I learned the hard way."

I hope you are encouraged to perform again.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
Thanks for the post, Magnus. It meant a lot to me. I think I will be performing next Friday. By then I'll hopefully have an ITR because everyone wants me to "float" objects.
-Jamie
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
Great job, and congrats!!!!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Jamie, be careful of an ITR without a lot of practice, and proper distance too. Just because they want you to do something is no reason to do it. Stick with what you have practiced a lot and know well. "new" tricks are not something to rush into a performance
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
That's good advice but I'd have over a week to practice it. Also, it is not only for request, but because I like to levitate things...lol
-Jamie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classroom Show... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL