The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Professional Jewish Magicians » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
696 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I came across an interesting list of Jewish Jugglers http://www.juggler.co.il/jews/jews.htm
and thought it would be fun to compile a list of past and present Jewish
professional or semi professional magicians if they are or were well known in the magic community. I think this listing will be very interesting.

I'll start the list with a couple starting with myself, Seth Kramer:

Moses (just kidding)
Houdini (Erich Weiss)
Al Flosso (Albert Levinson)
Chan Canasta (Chan Mifelof or was it Mifelov?)
David Berglas
Mark Salem (Moshe Botwinick)
Max Maven (Phil Goldstein)
Andy Nyman
Abe Hurwitz
Max Malini
David Copperfield (Kotkin)
Herb Zarrow
Simon Aronson
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
You forgot
June Horowitz
and
me.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Seth:

Among the English-language publications containing significant material on Jewish magicians qua Jewish magicians, there are two which you might be able to find with some diligent searching (alas, they’re still rather hard to find): (1) Hannes Höller’s EUROPEAN JEWISH MAGICIANS 1933-1945 (Düsseldorf, 1999), published in a limited edition of 300 copies; and (2) Alfred Rubens’ wonderful offprint (originally published as an essay in a periodical) called JEWS AND THE ENGLISH STAGE 1667-1850 (London, 1974).

Several other excellent books on Jewish magicians have been published in the German language as well, ironically enough some of them during the Nazi regime period. Günther Dammann was the author of three of these books and was a Jew himself.

Good luck with your query and research and happy hunting!

Clay Shevlin
MEMINISSE MAGICAM
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
How about just checking out this site: http://www.jewsinmagic.org/

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
696 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Great list! Just what I was looking for. Fred Kaps and David Blaine were a couple of suprises for me as were some others.

Here are some more:

Rafael Benatar, Davide Costi, Jon Allen, Nicholas Einhorn, Steve Cohen, Paul Green, Sol Stone, Gerald Deutsch, David Kaye, Marc DeSouza...

Can you add any more?
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
253 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
Several names on that website are incorrect.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1128 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Amos Lefkovitch, Guy Bavli, Yigal Mesika.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
696 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
The intent wasn't just to capture "superstar" Jewish magicians (eg. Copperfied, Houdini), but to gather a broad base of well known (to those in the field) professional and amateurs magicians. It seems as though the idea had already been thought of and the website referenced above was created. I believe that Jews in magic are still the minority. Max pointed out that there were some errors on that website. An accurate, updated list would be nice.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
On a side note, somewhat related, chess is another field that has had a great number of successful Jewish protagonists.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2005-05-05 16:22, Max Maven wrote:
Several names on that website are incorrect.

Which ones?

Thanks,
Jack Shalom
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
I'm not sure what the criteria of the list is.

Judaism is a religion, not a race.

One could argue a culture...but even then, would someone still be on the list if five generations earlier their family had fallen away from Judaism?

How does one parse it? Dai Vernon is listed, yet his family originally hails from Ireland, not the most Jewish of countries. If someone had a single relative who converted to Judaism four generations earlier, would that make them a "Jewish" magician? My mother converted to Judaism before I was born, yet I am Catholic. Would I still be a "Jewish" magician?

I guess I am saying, I don't really understand the point of compiling such a list. Someone is either a good magician or a bad one. Does it matter what religion he/she practices?
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
696 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
It's just a matter of curiosity, nothing more. Here is a quote from the Jewish Juggler list. This is the quote that got me started on this topic, although James Brandon beat me to it with his list. I was just hoping to update it and come up with some new names.

(Quote from Jewish Juggler site)
"For some reason Jews have always been interested in the influence we've had on society. For example, we love to count the number of Jewish Nobel Prize winners or major corporations headed by MOTs (Members of the Tribe)"...
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Yes, there have been a great deal of Jewish magicians, very good ones too. But there have been many magicians of other cultures, too. I think we should learn more and be proud of the history of magic in general and don't try to break them all down into little groups to see which is better. That isn't a healthy thing to do.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
This website has many esoteric topics. Personally, I don't like identifying people by their race, color, creed, etc., but I don't see any harm in Seth's query so long as it is kept in the perspective Seth has explained. Nothing wrong with being curious about fellow members of one's culture who share a certain interest. Clay
jonash1982
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of jonash1982
David Regal, Lee Asher are some others.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Some of the incorrect names on the website cited above are Kreskin (George Kresge) and, I believe, Glen Falkenstein. It seems the author of the site is listing at least some people with Jewish-sounding names, such as the Bambergs, who were, in fact, Dutch and not Jewish. Further, Eugene Burger and Dai Vernon are/were not Jewish.

Regarding the "overrepresentation" of Jews in show business, it is important to remember that early in the last century show business was one of the professions which did not exclude Jews because of their religion. Many fields--banking, medicine, law--were closed to Jews. Hence, talented, funny people gravitated to show business because that is where there were opportunities to make a living. Further, there is a rich culturual history of Jewish theater, music, comedy, etc. from which young performers could draw inspiration.

To add a few names to the list of active Jewish professional magicians/mentalists: Lior Manor, Seth Kramer, Ford Kross, Ken Weber, Joel Bauer, Paul Alberstat, Richard Busch, Gil Eagles.

Bob

Posted: May 11, 2005 4:03pm
Irishguy:

I agree with you that it is pointless and bigoted to try to parse out superiority of any group in a field. However, it is certainly understandable that any group of people would be interested to know the history of others of their faith/race in magic. For instance, the history of black conjurors in the US is a current topic of interest, and I can readily appreciate how African-American conjurors would be interested in this.

Bob
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
David Blaine is jewish?!
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
luckymoron
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
7 Posts

Profile of luckymoron
The son of a Jewish mother and Puerto Rican father, Blaine (not his real surname but actually his middle name) was born in 1973 in New York.
http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/article......aine.htm

Born David Blaine White in Brooklyn, he grew up without his Puerto Rican father, and his Russian-Jewish mother supported him by working as a waitress.
http://groups.msn.com/DavidBlaineMagicMa......29824656

Pontius Pilate: "What is truth?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Professional Jewish Magicians » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL