The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Assumptions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Is this similar to what Whit calls "conviction"?

A story.

I learned a bit about applied attention management while driving my car. I'm a defensive driver. When I'm driving, I mainly watch the car in front of me. I don't follow too closely because I know better. I know that if I rear-end someone, it's my fault no matter what. I don't ever want this type of action logged on my car insurance records.

One fall day around 6:00 p.m. while driving, the tail lights on the car in front of me came on. Being the defensive driver I am, I reacted by putting my foot on the brake pedal and slowing down so as to maintain a safe distance between us. While I braked, the car in front moved forward at an amazing rate. I asked myself, "How is is this guy driving? Is he using both feet? Does he have one foot on the gas and one on the brake? Is he Sammy Hagar??"

It took me a minute to figure out what happened. This is how I see assumptions and their application to magic.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
How about this then?

I bought a super bounce ball for my son from a machine at the arcade but I think we got gyped. See? (klunk!) It's a dud. It doesn't bounce at all. I tried to get my money back from the arcade attendent, but he just wouldn't stop laughing. See? (klunk!) No Bounce. Pretty funny, eh? You expect a super bounce ball but instead we get this. (klunk!) Nothing!

Well, rather than see my son bummed out, I decided to use magic instead, and I did this. (Wave hand over klunker) Now I think it will work just fine! ("Zowee!",said my son, as the ball bounced off the ceiling...)
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Assumptions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL