The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » English Language mispronounced how? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1733 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
What word in the English language is most commonly pronounced incorrectly?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6172 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
"Incorrectly"?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
I think it is "a" people tend to say it is ah when it should eb said just like the letter A ( ae )
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Judging by the tourists here, the words most frequently pronounced incorrectly are "Las Vegas" and "Nevada".

Regardless of how you have heard it, the city is pronounced, "LOSS VAY-GUS".

The state is pronounced, "NIH-VAD-UH", not, "NUH-VAH-DUH". Whenever I hear the latter way, I simply remind people that there is no "H" in "Nevada". If they continue to pronounce it wrong, I simply start mispronouncing their name when I talk to them. Either that, or I'll say something like, "Did you see that funny new AWDVERTISEMENT on TV last night?"
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I always called it Vegas for the 26 years I lived there. It means "the meadows" in Spanish, and Nevada roughly means "snowy", which I assure you it isn't in Vegas. But I've heard you all have received a LOT of rain this year. 'Bout time.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I don't think that is fair Scott. I will bet you that you cannot say "Gauteng" (A Province in South Africa) properly. I have never heard a foreigner able to say it properly. Should I hold that against them?

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Wolflock you clearly have more knowledge then me on this but I believe "Gauteng" means, "at the gold". Also from what I,ve learned I believe the word is a Sesotho word.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I am Impressed funny gecko. As Far as I know it is SeSotho or South Sotho. It means Place of Gold. In Zulu it is Egoli. It is the name for what used to be known as the Transvaal here in South Africa. Where abouts are you from? Who told you that info? 99% of tourists are ignorant of any of this info (As ignorant as I would be about what Nevada meant if I had visited there).

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I think you have all missed the point except Greg.A bit like the old gag

"Constantinople is a very hard word ..can you spell it".

Howard
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well I study geography on my own time. I take into mind the changes of the continents and continental drift and study lots of space like the suns pulls and how it affects our planet etc, and try to predict what may happen in the future. But I am only 15 so I am not to wise about it.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2005-05-09 04:59, Wolflock wrote:
I don't think that is fair Scott. I will bet you that you cannot say "Gauteng" (A Province in South Africa) properly. I have never heard a foreigner able to say it properly. Should I hold that against them?

Regards
Wolflock

You're right, Wolflock. Let's say I'm down there and I see the name "Gauteng" on a sign, and I say the name to a local with the wrong pronounciation. Presumably, the local corrects me and gives me the correct pronounciation.

What would you think of me if, despite the correction, I purposefully continued using the wrong pronounciation? Now we're talking about the same situation.

(BTW, I've always thought America should always follow the wonderful government example set by South Africa. South Africa has its legislative capital in one city, its judicial capital in a second city and its executive capital in a third. I vote for leaving the White House in Washington, D.C., moving the Supreme Court to New York, and maybe move congress to Denver or Dallas.)
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
100% Agreed, Scott. Most people will still mispronounce it even after being corrected 1000 times. I would guess that Nevada is easier to pronounce once I have been corrected. But "Gauteng" just seems too difficult for those with a different accent to us. German tourists seem to click on a bit easier as the "G" is pronounced the same as a "g" in most words in german.

Funny gecko, where abouts do you stay though. You don't just learn that Gauteng means place of gold in "SESOTHO" in just any old book. I am quite curious to know where you found that info. :o)

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well most resident of Gauteng speak isiZulu now a days. But back when it was PWV ( Pretoria-Witwatersrand-Vereeniging (excuse my spelling) ) I don't believe it was so multicultural because they hadn't held their all race election until late april 1994 then it became known as "Gauteng" No I currently researched because of the gold in Johannesburg which was located in the center of the province. Although it is the smallest Wolflock I don't think you'll mind if I call it "Jozi" anyways Researched wherew the gold was and was trying to make a pattern of it all for the future to see where future gold would be. But I kept researching ecause Gauteng and Jozi are so multicultural..there is asians.. Caucasians..etc...and the south border of the Vaal ( grey ) river is fascinationg. with all the wildlife it holds..
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I am really impressed. You probably know more about the place than most who reside there. I should know. I spent most of my life there. Well Done.
Mina Khuluma SiZulu. (I speak Zulu)

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Smile so you live in South africa>? weere you born there? when you perform magic (if you do ) what do you do cause I believe you have to be careful because of there culture
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
Here's a question, on topic I hope. When you say 'important', do you articulate/enunciate the first "t", or do you skip it altogether? I hardly ever hear anyone do this. Also, 'uncomfortable'. People seem to say it uncomfterble. Smile
-Rich
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Funny Gecko, I do Close up and Escapology. Not much I have to worry about. But With Some of the African Cultures, I do have to becareful as they are used to witchdoctors and stuff, and are VERY superstitious. I end up making them run like hell with my magici tricks. can be very funny though. :o)
I was born in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia at the time) but lived in South Africa for most of my life.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Very interesting... now is that ur families background? because after all you are white so it just came into mind.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Correct. Contrary to most beliefs, there are actually white people in Africa. *gasp* Smile
Wolflock
South Africa
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Smile sorry if I offended you in anyway... so wolflock tell em about yourself in a pm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » English Language mispronounced how? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL