The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Sad Day And A Happy Day (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Well Friday past was the first day of my mall promotion to sell tickets to my service club show...a venture that I undertook several months ago. I looked at it as an end to chasing my tail and settling into something that would keep me working and perhaps comfortable...a far cry from working in a bar...the big stage of an auditorium and 2 shows a month...~perfect~

Well I was there, the packing crate escape was there and the box of tickets were there and that is where the tickets stayed...in the box. Between 9:30am and 9:00pm we sold 2 tickets. Well, no worries, so I thought, we still have 2 more malls to do and I have a TV promo for the middle of the week and we still will have a week to sell after that.

Yesterday afternoon (Sat.) I was waiting for my lift to the mall and he was 1 1/2 hours late. So finally at 2:00pm I called the guy and he said he had car trouble, which was a crock of horse pucks. An hour later, this fellow calls me at home here and goes on and on and then tells me that "due to lack of ticket sales, the entire show was canceled"...my entire body froze with shock.

So here I am, I'm only the other 50% of the production who booked the malls, contacted the printer and talked him down in price, did the the majority of the foot work to get the posters out, spent hours on the phone between the malls and the service club member I delt with, the crate maker, the media and various and sorted others. Not an important part of the production, right ? I guess these 4 "gentleman" didn't think I was an important enough member of the production to include me in making their decision.

So behind my back...they made the decision to cancel the entire show that was to have taken place May 19th....based on 1 stupid day...the very first day of the ticket promo. I put my heart and soul into the organization of that show...a few dozen hours over the past 2 months...and they canceled it. Am I bitter ? ur frigg'in right I am.

Why am I telling you this ? well, this is meant for my friends to read. For the past 10 years since I moved back home from the US, I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out what it was I wanted to do, and I thought I had it. And with one swoop...it was gone. I'm 48, I'm too old for this. Em and I talked it over tonight and the decision has been made...I'm leaving show business...and this includes my hypnosis show...for good. The only thing I will continue to do is my 20 minute billet routine...only when I want and only when I get my price and only as an amateur (who gets paid).

I'm now going to put all of my energy in my talk radio program. At least with that, I know I can support myself and Em with no worries. I'm sad and I'm happy, and let me tell you something Charlie Brown...it's a very wierd feeling to have.

Em is okay with all of this, I do feel that I will have let only one other person down...and that is Steve "Mr.Escape" Baker. I think Steve kind of had his hopes up that this was going to take off like a rocket. Steve spent many hours on the phone with me as far as pep talks and good, solid advice concerning my packing crate escape goes...something, I'll never do now. And for all of that, Steve...Em and I just want to say that we both love you...and I hope the long conversations don't stop.

So my next stop.....CFRB- talk/news radio...(I wish !!!)

So long till next time.

~Rick~

P>S> Steve, congratulations on the new escape challenge belt I saw on your website...well done my friend, well done !
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Rick, that is indeed very sad news. Will you still be hanging out in here? I hope so.

Good luck with your radio stuff.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
In and out, Ros...nothing major, now and then I guess...

~Rick~
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Rick, What a total disappointment this is for you. A dream dashed in the space of a phone call. I think that you’re tossing it in a bit soon. In fact you sound like your “partners” in the Mall venture (adventure?).

I think that you could simply take a breather, promote yourself (all your shows) and as with your “billet” show, take only those that pay. Play it for fun and for money (make them pay for themselves with a bit of left over to help with the rent).

Let me tell you that I am a totally failed performer. I have failed at being a headliner at carnivals, thrill shows, as traveling illusions show, at comedy clubs, and in bar venues. In almost 50 years of performing almost anything, anywhere for the right price, I doubt if ten people know my name (names that is as I’ve used a few over the years). YET, I put myself through college, I have bought (and later sold) houses, one office building (you think performing is difficult then try being a landlord!), cars, food, raised kids, help support a marriage (and more than one long term relationship after the marriage) with money earned from performing. OK, so along the way I also had non-performing, daytime jobs too. But then most of the variety arts performers that I have known (especially in magic) also had daytime jobs and careers.

I am way (way, way) older than you. I don’t even remember my 40’s!! And I am still out there performing (hypnosis act, mentalism act, escape act, comedy magic, and sometimes I can be bribed to do a kids show [nowadays I charge so much that only the truly rich can afford me for a kids show! The less I like a venue the more I charge!!!]).

OK, so what is the point? DON’T GIVE UP THE DREAM! It is all you have. Fall back, and regroup. Reset your goals. Sure, focus on the radio gig/career and get it solid and secure. BUT also promoting the heck out of yourself and your other performing interests/shows. Mr. Baker is most like right you still might take off!

When all is said and done, you have to do what is right for you. I just hope that you don’t give up the dream.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Napoleon spent time in prison...repeatedly.
Elizabeth R was in exile...before she attained the throne.

When you stop, you're dead. You're still alive man! The block wall you've been chipping at may yet only be inches thick.
Keep Trying!

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Rick-

I am so sorry to hear about everything that happened with your mall shows. It sounds like your "partners'" hearts were not in it and their only focus was on the money. With that said, I believe your heart is in it. You are the one who did all of the leg work to promote the shows. You are the one who spent hours on the phone with Steve building something you believe in. I can understand your frustration, but do not call it quits over this. The most important thing to do is to follow your happiness.

My wife and I have been having a lot of talks about this lately. It seems whenever in the past I have tried to follow what I truly believe to be my path, obstacle after obstacle has been put in front of me. A lot of times this has forced me into doing something else in life, albeit working in what would be considered good jobs, but not following my passions. Life is too short, we have to live our dreams. That has now become my new motto and mantra for life. Live your dreams. It isn't important to follow anything that takes you away from your dreams. If you keep your dreams at the forefront of your focus, they will become a reality. And there will be a myriad of failures along the way. Use those experience though to strengthen your resolve, find new solutions to overcoming the obstacles that are presented to you and to keep fueling the fire for your dreams within.

It reminds me of the story of Thomas Edison. He failed over two hundred times to find the correct filament for his idea of a light bulb. When asked about it, he simply stated that he had found two hundred ways not to do it. All he was looking for was the one right way to do it.

Recollect, build your strength up and keep going Rick. It sounds like Em is great support for you and you do have all of us on here who are behind you 100%. Don't give up.

And always live your dreams.

Allan
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Rick,

I was checkin out the Café when I came upon your post!
Sorry about the Mall show!
Wish you had spoken to me before making such a decision!

I'd like to tell you a little story....OK?

It's called "The Bass Fishing Contest"

Four guys,Ted,Bill,Jack,and Sam decide to enter a Bass Fishing contest at a local
lake,... a lake they fished in many times,and knew where the best spot to fish
was!
So they get the lake at 5am,check in before any one else,rent a rowboat and head
toward their favorite spot.
70 feet from the shore the boat starts to leak,so 3 of the guys abandon the boat
and swim to shore,leaving one guy(Sam)in the boat!
As soon as the 3 guys had left the boat,Sam noeices the leak slowing down....
less weight and pressure!
So Sam takes a pencil out of his pocket,jams the point into the hole where the
leak is,brakes off the point in the hole.... No leak!
So Sam rows to their favorite spot,catches 9 fish,one a12 pounder!
He then rows back to shore,checks in his catch and has it recorded,all with in
two hours of arriving at the lake!

The contest is over at 5pm that day.

Turns out Sam caught the most fish,and the biggest,and did it in record time....
2 hours!
He won $1000.00,and a new fishing boat!

Sam had a dream of winning that Fishing Contest.....Had he abandoned that boat
like the others..... Nothing!!! .......He Stuck With It!!

DON'T LET A LEAK IN YOUR BOAT,....SINK YOUR DREAMS,.... KEEP ROWING!!!

Steve
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks Steve,

What an inspirational story. I'm going to keep a copy of that in the front of my note book.

Brilliant!

I guess the question is, what are your dreams Rick? Obviously there's no need to say here, but as long as you know what they are and go for them that's all that really matters.

Good luck Rick, I'm glad you'll be sticking around here even if your dreams aren't to be in show biz any more.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thank you Steve...you know your words mean mountains to me. Thanks to the rest of you as well.I'll always keep my hand in the pond (so to speak)...but the desire to go swiming has just about burned out. I not only have my carcass to worry about, but I'm taking care of a little French girl as well (Em, who has given her blessing on any choice I make).

Trust me, you guys can't get rid of me here that easily...I'll be putting my 2 cents in where and when ever I can.

Harry, you pretty well bared it all here with your posting...thank you, I know the feeling of what you went through. Radio is my first love, I'm very good at it(except I can't read a commerical worth a darn!) and my subject is paranormal talk radio...very cool.

~Rick~
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Rick..I felt very sad when I read your post and decision to quit showbiz. It must have been a really difficult decision to make. I agree with everyone else. You have the skills, don't take them away from the audiences (no matter how small they might be sometimes) Just put them on the back burner and one day, who knows, you might just get another call that will change your life, this time for the better.

I don't think we've ever corresponded before, but The Café brings all of us together, so just remember, you're not on your own, we are all feeling for you, and although we can't really feel what it is that you are feeling right now, it isn't hard to imagine.

Anyway you've got radio. That's showbiz! I wish I could be in radio!

Please stay with it, and let us know how things are going.

Mick Hanzlik, London.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
One swallow isn`t the whole summer.At your age your just a kid.We all fail but this oncer is all it is, so get up and kick ass, if you want it bad enough you keep going,no one has been kicked as much as me (Try working the outside shows and you will see what it meens to be in the rough)It`s there if you want it, its there for the taking,so get up and give it another go but next time rely on one person only,,,,yourself.

So stop messing and get on with it,,,, or dissapear,curl up and collect stamps or do card tricks.

Ken.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Rick,

Ask Steve, I'd gladly trade weeks with you.

That said, as the song says, don't let the sun catch you crying.

Take an evening, weep, bitch, moan, and get really mad.

When the sun comes up, let it go and get back to it.

You just learned to do it on your own.

Remember you are NEVER a failure till you quit.....
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Mark...

This has been building up for years, and I just need something to finally tell me to quit chasing my tail and settle down and it finally happened. To be honest about it, I feel good about the decision...

~Rick~
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
And...there's no law that says you can't change your mind again later.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
True enough, Steve...

~Rick~
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
Hi Rick,
When I was your age I had to support a family. I did it. Now I am putting more and more time into performing. I love it!!! If you love radio, go do it. But don't forget about mentalism, escapes, etc. There may be a place for them in your future if you are patient.

Rich
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Rick, I'm 14.....I'm real young.....Do you know how many times I'm gonna fail? TONS!!! Theres nothing I can do, as long as I move forward, when your an EA, your an EA for life.....Thats what we all are, just know we are always here, for you when you decide to come back!!

Steve: That is THE BEST quote I've ever read, and I know hundreds!!!

In whatever you do Rick, know you got us behind you

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Rick, very disappointed to hear your story but also your decision. I greee with all the comments above. Get back out there and kick 'A....' ( the real one, spelt with an "R'in it, not the dainty "SS' one , which is a mule)

You know!!, so I am not telling you anything new, we climb over hurdles every day. this is just another, get over it and on with the journey.

all the best mate.

Ian
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Rick

You my friend, are an entertainer! You may be able to give it up, but will it give you up? I don't think so. I sit here in SA, what I get for a show is considered expensive here in SA, to you guys overseas, you would probably ask me why I am even bothering doing shows for so little when converted via exchange rate. I am the ONLY Escapologist in South Africa (besides the two guys who I am teaching and training now) and have been for many years. Try selling a show when no one even knows what the hell an Escape Artist is. Until I emailed Steve Baker and he told me about the Café, I did not even know other EA's existed. How about not even making enough to keep yourself alive, leave alone a partner. Or being so passionate about your entertainment that you lose the two most important things in your LIFE because of it (you know what I mean here). Will I ever give it up? HELL NO! Why? Because the thing I do realise is, when I never had a job, my entertainment brought in the little amounts of money that kept me alive. It is the reason that I am not living in a cardboard box. And I am still struggling to keep my head above water. But I will not give up. If someone bound you with rope, and you could not get out in a minute (or in one attempt), would you give up and tell them that they have won? That they have beaten the EA? I don't think you would. You would do your utter best to get out. So why give up just because of this one little hiccup? How many YEARS did Houdini go with only making enough to survive? And look at the name Houdini now.

Rick, You were the one who gave me a bit of hope when I felt the same way you do now. Let me return the favour. If Steve Baker sees potential and hope for you, then what does that tell you? YOU CAN DO IT!!!
And when it comes to EM? If I know anything about Em, then it would be that she is a great person who cares and loves you. I believe she would support you whatever your decision is. Could you give her up? No! Why? Because she is your life! She is what you live for. Just like your Entertainment.

I will see you as a friend and support you no matter what your decision is, Rick. But think about this. What meaning will your life have if you give up something that you were, so to say, born to do? Try Giving it up for two to three months and see how empty you feel inside. One Hiccup does not break the spirit of the true entertainer. Especially when he has so much support from his friends. Which friends? JUST READ ABOVE!!! Enough pep talk! Who has the beers??

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide my Friend.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
You guys are all so very kind, but please understand, this is not just one fall or the first time...it's been like this for the past 20 years. I'll always do shows...it's just I won't be making my living with it and I won't have to rely on it to pay the bills. When I do shows, it will be because I want to and not because I have to.

~Rick~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Sad Day And A Happy Day (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL