The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ New to magic? Ľ Ľ The challenge of performing for teenagers!!! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Drylid
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Drylid
In my experience performing for teens isn't hard *perhaps its my proximity of being one only 10 years ago*. What ive noticed is it does come down to pure performance. Teens arent into old school magic as much anymore. Just like they arent into silent movies. Its just the changing of the times. Ive had people not want to talk to me and do cross gestures after card to impossible location. Ive had people also say that I must have sold my soul when doing nothing but cards. It is magic and magical in the eye of the beholder not the performer. If you can generate the sense of wonder from your performance that's stronger than anything else. The tools are just that...tools. Yes a cellphone is a very personal powerful item now. In the past we were using handkerchiefs and rings borrowed...now its a cell phone. "Guessing" a teens or adults pin number for a cellphone has gotten me more gigs and word of mouth than any effect ive done recently. It simply melts the spectators mind. Yea teens are more likely to try to puff the chest and impress peers but if you cant control the crowd, focus on crowd management instead of sleights for a bit.
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
Iím interested in how you approach your groups. People who want to see magic are generally more receptive from the start.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8178 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, ryanshaw9572 wrote:
Iím interested in how you approach your groups. People who want to see magic are generally more receptive from the start.


Hey Ryan! Did you read the entire thread?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, ryanshaw9572 wrote:
Iím interested in how you approach your groups. People who want to see magic are generally more receptive from the start.


Hey Ryan! Did you read the entire thread?


Hey Dick, I didnít! Just to clarify, Iím asking the OP how he approaches people specifically.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8178 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll try to respond to your post later, when I have time. You are only getting the OP's comments. He, apparently has little actual experience, performing.

A few of us gave him positive responses, but, many responders, obviously, have as little experience, as the OP!!
`
I strongly suggest that YOU read the entire thread!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
Dick, I donít think youíre understanding me. Iím asking the OP what his method of approaching these people is, because I want to help him, not because I want advice from him. I donít have to read the entire thread to see that he didnít supply that information yet.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8406 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2019, ryanshaw9572 wrote:
Dick, I donít think youíre understanding me. Iím asking the OP what his method of approaching these people is, because I want to help him, not because I want advice from him. I donít have to read the entire thread to see that he didnít supply that information yet.



The common practice for a personal question is to send a PM rather than divert the theme of the thread.

Great that you wish to help him. No one else has to be involved.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst



ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2019, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2019, ryanshaw9572 wrote:
Dick, I donít think youíre understanding me. Iím asking the OP what his method of approaching these people is, because I want to help him, not because I want advice from him. I donít have to read the entire thread to see that he didnít supply that information yet.



The common practice for a personal question is to send a PM rather than divert the theme of the thread.

Great that you wish to help him. No one else has to be involved.


Thanks for the information. Perhaps my original post was too vague. The original post was about him having trouble performing for a certain group of people. The reason Iím interested in knowing his approach is because I believe that the approach you use can affect the receptivity of the audience. If you walk up to a random group of strangers and start performing, for example, youíll get a much different response than if you either got to know a bit about the peopleís interest level first, or performed an opener near them to pique their interest. A group of genuinely interested individuals is less likely to include a heckler.

I thought it was perfectly on topic. Sorry for any confusion!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ New to magic? Ľ Ľ The challenge of performing for teenagers!!! (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL