The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Harry Potter show for 18 years olds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Superpixel, are you doing close-up or stage for your "opening for a rap group"? It seems like stage to me.

But the things you've listed.. aren't they more "close-up" items? something you'd do in a "strolling" kinda gig?

Or they seem like popular tricks for back when kids thought people like david blaine actually did "street magic".
I'm not saying they are bad tricks but are you sure they work for your environment?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Wizard magic will always be in fashion, but is not performer with "cookie-cutter" tricks from a magic store that have just been given a Wizard theme. You may find some thing you can use in the Earliest Wizards' Journals when I was still actively performing Wizard stype magic. I gave up after Wizards' Journal #6 because so few magicians were performing magic in this style.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
133 Posts

Profile of superpixel
Spellbinder, do you mean these? http://www.lybrary.com/wizard-magazine-volume-14-p-5605.html
If so, I'll definitely buy them and have a look. I've honestly been dying to try a modern take on a wizard anyway Smile

Frank, sorry those were indeed effects for after the show if I'm needed to do something Smile
These are small stages (think gastropub joints, but we'll be at some geeky conventions too), so for the stage I'm doing my own routining and variations on: Splash Bottle, appearing ice, Imp bottle, needle through arm (Stat), Shift and Dresscode. I know these are a bunch of off the rack items, but I've got short turnaround for the first tour and I'm familiar with these.

I've got some crazy ideas for the future, and a HP show for older kids might find them interesting. One includes a battle with a Dementor using a fog machine and green laser projector Smile
-- superpixels / victor / banana wizard --
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
No, that's "The Wizards Magazine" and my reference is to "The Wizards' Journals." Unlike other magic magazines which contain boring articles about who attended the magic club meetings this month, complete with photos of old geezers smiling at the camera, the Wizards' Journal contains only descriptions of magic, most of which you can build yourself from the simplest and least expensive and readily available parts. You don't have to buy the entire issue, but youn can pick and choose only those effects which are of interest to you, making up your own magazine from the parts. You'll find a table of contents HERE: http://www.magicnook.com/wizardsTOC.htm The Journals talk only about MAGIC and not about MAGICIANS unlike your ordinary magic magazines.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I'll admit I don't do these. I do a HP wizard show for 10 and under, but 18 would have me worried. Basically, I think I'd just approach it like an adult show but try to think of clever ways to mention HP or something out of the HP world.

For example. I do a cards across trick. For your show I would use Harry Potter cards and say three of the cards are going to apparate from one pile to the next. Show the three that will disappear and then when you count them out in the other pile show how they have appeared there. This is an adult trick but incorporates the HP them.

I also do What's Next (the spot trick) even for adults. I just tell them that this is Wizard Math and that a metal plate can have four sides in Wizard School as opposed to only two sides in the Muggle world.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 11:37, superpixel wrote:
...hardcore rapping about HP stuff (yes, seriously).

I got 99 problems but quidditch ain't one.
William B
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of William B
Just take an adult show and do it for them seeing as they are practically adults. Card stuff in good because they are of an age where they know the suits. Try something like invisible deck or take some of your kid tricks and take out all the patter designed for kids ans make it more adulty (even though that's not a word.)
Hope this helps.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
If you treat them like adults, rather than children , you will gain their respect and old their attention longer, if you use drinking related magic, be sure there is a message telling them not to drink, or it may get ugly with the parents who pay you , also anything sex related, bothe males and females have this on their mind, but both have very different ideas of it. Also both like cars, and there is some magic out there with auto themes, lots of mentalism , it works.
College is in the future of most 18 year old's , effects where they pick the make model and color of a car you predicted, a bit of pre show work , you find out what school,they want to attend, you have a lot you can do with that info. A great effect you can make cheaplly in jumbo size and it can be made for boys or girls is an effect called " Night out with the Girls" it can be a lot of fun,
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
I am 21 years old. I would absolutely love it if someone threw me a Harry Potter themed birthday party.

All I'm going to say.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have few problems with High School and College audiences. I seem to work well with them.

On the other hand, Catholic retreat parties for married couples are just wrong. The "men" get fall-down drunk and then try to drive home! I was raised Catholic and even I find it disgusting.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:28, magicgeorge wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 11:37, superpixel wrote:
...hardcore rapping about HP stuff (yes, seriously).

I got 99 problems but quidditch ain't one.

Oh my goodness! That is quite possibly the greatest post in the history of the Café. Blimmin marvelous!

Uh huh uh huh uh huh... jigga!

It's a Hogwarts life for us, it's a Hogwarts life for us
Steada treated, we get tricked,
Steada kisses, we get kicked,
It's a Hogwarts life!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Word up, Snape Dogg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Harry Potter show for 18 years olds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL