The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » David Copperfield (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Owen
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of James Owen
Allright fellow magicians how are you all doing, Fine i hope. Do you think David Copperfield is the best Illusionist of our time, Some of the tricks and illusions he does are fabulous.

Best and Kind Regards

Take Care all of you
Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
James,

I don't quite agree.

First of all, I should state that he is a great magician, but what he does is not always something new. In fact, a lot of his great illusions are just really old principles but in a new dress.

He can take something that we all know and blow it out of proportion by using bigger props and it seems like something entirely new, when in fact, the principle used has been around for ages.

Don't be fooled by the actual illusion, try to work out how it is done and you will see what I mean.

This of course doesn't apply to everything he does, he does have some great original illusions that I haven't figured out how he does it ... not that that's any reference, I'm not that good Smile

Steve
Smile
Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
Quote:
On 2002-10-10 13:33, Steve wrote:
James,

Don't be fooled by the actual illusion, try to work out how it is done and you will see what I mean.

This of course doesn't apply to everything he does, he does have some great original illusions that I haven't figured out how he does it ...

This is where I think magicians go wrong. We're so jaded. We don't just enjoy the magic or the illusions, we try to pick them apart and figure how it was done.

Copperfield is a MAJOR chapter in the book of magic. He has helped a great deal to elevate the "hobby" to an art form. I believe he is an entertainer, first and foremost, it's in this area that he succeeds like no other.
Sure Copperfield may not have created some of the illusions he does, but how many people can name the person who created and first performed them? Not many. If they had done them well in the first place, they would be "known" for them. Copperfield KNOWS presentation, it's what he's good at. He made magic sexy, classy and very commercial.

This is all just my opinion though.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of Logan
I entirely agree with Danno, in fact, DC played a major role in my becoming a magician and now I've done 2 large scale shows in school (with a projector and everything) and many other performances in other places.

I believe that Copperfield is too underrated by most magicians, maybe it's jealousy, I don't know, but what I DO know is that he is one of the most famous magicians ever, he's had more TV specials than any other magician and to top that, all his shows are sell outs!

His presentation is top notch, but he can be quite melodramatic, but that's his style, we all have our own styles.

His shows are always a pleasure to watch and if not anything, we all can learn a thing or 2 about presenting an illusion.

Bottom line: DC deserves alot more credit than what most magicians are willing to offer and that's not fair, considering how far he has gone with magic.

Cheers,

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
I did say I thought he was a great magician.

I wasn't trying to put him down or anything, if that's what it seemed like then I appologize.

Steve
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of danny
I would say that he is amazing but I prefer Lance Burton because many of his illusions have an unexpected twist in them.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I think a lot of magicians _are_ jealous of David Copperfield! How could they not be? The guy made the Statue of Liberty disappear, walked through the Great Wall of China, and regularly teleports himself from the stage to Hawaii or the Hoover Dam or wherever he pleases . . . is it just me - I haven't noticed a lot of other magicians doing these kinds of things! I can't see where he's melodramatic, either. Lots and lots of people say that, but I've always thought he was a little bit too much like a tough-minded New Yorker as far as his style goes . . .

But to anyone who really doesn't think David Copperfield is talented, I'd like to know who is better . . .
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of Logan
There you go! Serling said it! Cool stuff dude!

By the way, I love your cat!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
yea, I totally agree with Danno.
DC has a way to PRESENT and PERFORM a magic trick like hardly anyone else has. He mixes magic with wit, sometimes with sex, sometimes with jokes...
I really like his work, I've seen him several times.
cya

Neuromancer
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
AAaww Come on guys, why would anyone get jealous over a magician (DC) who gets 32 million a year?

He still uses the thumb tip!
Dennis Michael
Ari_R
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Ari_R
Great Statement, Den!
No matter what a "Great" magician does, he must use some sort of knowledge that he gained as a beginner.
And the things that (DC) does are Illusions, but they are combined with: Great Clothes, Good Jokes, and Acting Skills.
Many people, who know what they are doing,can make it to the top.

(DC) is a great magician/Illusionist..
but remember there are tons of great magicians out there that do different things, and they are just as great in there own way.

ARI
Herrick, Jeff
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Herrick, Jeff
We can all learn from David Copperfield.
I'm not looking to be a big star in magic
and that's working out REALLY good so far.
Ragiv
View Profile
New user
Prince George, BC
95 Posts

Profile of Ragiv
Quote:
On 2002-10-11 13:14, DenDowhy wrote:

He still uses the thumb tip!

Yes! As seen in one of his specials doing a Dollar to Hundred Change.

*cough* I mean..
Jodie - SOCTV
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I know the simple close-up tricks, but am always amzed by what Mr. Copperfield does.
~Joe
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I don't know who the best is. But I know that I love his show, and have seen it many times.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Sorry if this offends but, does it really matter? We could debate all day about who is best but the truth is all the big names have done something to advance magic in the eyes of the public. All of them have an illusion or two that makes you go "Whoa...". If pressed, I'm sure we could all say, Magican A does this really well, but I like the personality of magician B better.

I'll sit and watch any magic show and I can almost always take away something from it.

Chris
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The best illusionist of our time? That is unfortunately a historical question and therefore cannot be answered in any practical way. It will be up to those who follow years from now to determine the content of that statement.

I feel he is certainly one of the best.

If I recall one of the prominent magic magazines did a series on the 100 most influential magicians in the last century and even that was a difficult task to sort out. You're asking about numero uno?

I'd say he is probably one of the best known, and through his many televised specials and personal appearances is probably one of the most seen of the illusionists, and one of the most copied by those of us who should know better.

I have the utmost respect for him. But remember when all is said and done, he puts his pants on the same as the rest of us - both legs at the same time yuk, yuk, Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
I don't have enough knowledge to judge who's the best; in fact, I don't care.

BUT, I do know that DC has made many laypersons get interested in magic, and some of them took action and started studying the art. That's his contribution.

And, I was one of those laypersons. Smile
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
Rhabarber
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
32 Posts

Profile of Rhabarber
David Copperfield was one of the main reasons why I got interested in magic. Watching his TV specials as a little boy was a great experience. And it was an even better experience when I attended his show for the first time. I was amazed, because this guy is really funny!
I wouldn't wanna do his style of magic nowadays, all these weird looking props, and shiny lights and stuff.. But I love to see his performances, and that's why he deserves big credits.

And to answer your question, I would never say he's the best illusionist of our time. Nobody is. EEveryone has his strengths and weaknesses, there is no Number One.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » David Copperfield (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL