The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Substance left behind from Flash Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Does anyone know what chemical is left after flash paper has been lit? I noticed that when I light flash paper there is some sort of residue left on my fingers or whatever I'm lighting. Also, does anyone know if this chemical (that is left over) is harmful if smoked or ingested?
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
As far as I know, flash paper should leave no residue or ash. One thing it may be is a bit of moisture left from the initial packaging. Flash paper is shipped damp for safety reasons, and if you don't give it proper time to dry, then it may still have a bit of moisture left in it. Good Luck.

Chris Toomey
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I agree with Chris. However, if there is residue, it would have to come from the acids used to make it.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
It is not from the moisture, I happened to have some flash paper that's been dried out for longer than I can remember... so checked it. Whatever it is has caused me problems before. I can't remember what chemicals are used to make it, but they are not nice, so I wouldn't trust it for anything hygenic.
Paul
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
I have also had problems with residue when performing "In a Flash". The substance left behind appears to be a yellowish crust. It is likely caused by an incomplete burn of the flash paper. As you are all more than aware, Nothing vanishes without a trace. I don't think there is anyway to fix the problem without dealing with nasty chemicals.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
I'm wondering about the reference to "smoked or ingested." What are you doing with flashpaper that this might become an issue?

Azrael
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-05-10 14:06, Lord of Illusion wrote:
I'm wondering about the reference to "smoked or ingested." What are you doing with flashpaper that this might become an issue?

Azrael

It's for a cigarrette routine that I am working on. I try to work out magic that will suit the crowds that I hang out with, and most of my friends are smokers so this is the perfect trick for them.
Basically I take out a pipe and talks about how I have no cigarrettes to smoke. I then do this whole thing with rolling papers where they vanish and reappear (the box of papers, not the papers themselves). I then take out 2 rolling papers, crumble them up and do a sort of spongeball routine with the papers. I then take the papers (which I use a crossing the gaze switch to switch for flash paper with tobacco wrapped in it) and set it in the pipe. I light the flash paper and once the flame is gone there is perfectly good tobacco sitting in the pipe ready to be smoked. I was debating whether or not I should just roll the tobacco and eat the cigarrette as the finish (and never even introduce the pipe), but I think it's better left as sort of an introduction to smoking with other people. Plus actually rolling the tobacco would be a delay after the trick is over and might make it less effective as they might forget about the trick completely. One might figure it would be easier to just borrow a cigarrette but since I'm occasionally asked to do magic it would be more interesting.

Quote:
On 2005-05-10 13:56, Glenn Alloway wrote:
I have also had problems with residue when performing "In a Flash". The substance left behind appears to be a yellowish crust. It is likely caused by an incomplete burn of the flash paper. As you are all more than aware, Nothing vanishes without a trace. I don't think there is anyway to fix the problem without dealing with nasty chemicals.

Exactly I'm refering to that yellowish substance. And you are right, nothing vanishes without a trace, but perhaps the flash paper, when lit, becomes a vapor? Perhaps this is from dampness issues. I'm definately going to ask some sort of chemist about this.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-05-10 01:06, Chris Toomey wrote:
As far as I know, flash paper should leave no residue or ash.
Chris Toomey

Since Matter cannot be created or destroyed (as far as we currently are aware of) there has to be SOMEthing left behind. It is however very small and hard to see unless you burn the paper ON something else (so it gives the appearance of leaving no ash or smoke) but by the laws of physics there has to be something left behind which the paper converted into.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
Since Matter cannot be created or destroyed (as far as we currently are aware of) there has to be SOMEthing left behind.

Well yes but it could be converted 100% into energy(heat).

So flash paper, could very well accourding to the laws of physics completely dissipate when burned.

Although I do agree that it probably doesn't, and that there is some microscopic ash, and some gas associated with its burning, but remember that most of the matter is going to be converted into energy(heat+light) so really most of it won't be there.
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
On 2005-05-12 14:49, Daegs wrote:
Quote:
Since Matter cannot be created or destroyed (as far as we currently are aware of) there has to be SOMEthing left behind.

Actually, in nuclear processes (like the sun's fission/fusion) matter is created and destroyed, but that's the only time that happens. But in response to the original post, this has happened to me before. I just washed everything right afterwards and didn't have any problems. I wouldnt let it sit on your hands or props for long, just in case.
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Thanks but I didn't write that, it was actually Jordini...

My post was that matter can be converted to energy and vice-versa, which was completly opposite to "matter can not be created or destroyed".

just wanted to clear up any confusion
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:

YES! IT IS A DANGER NOT WORTH RISKING! the vapors are from the 2 acids used to make flash paper/cotton...the 2 chems together are called nitro-cellulose.
the vapors can ruin your lungs, esophogus, nasal passages, etc.
DON'T INHALE FLASH VAPORS!

The residue left from the paper/cotton is caused by a slightly imperfect balance in the nitrocellulose mixture. this will not affect the effect of the paper/cotton.
the above is an explination for the black residue.

Yellow on the other hand is just a burn mark left from the vapors.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
When flash paper disintegrates, it converts to residue, heat and light. the residue is from the two acids used to make it and not recommended for a coctail.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 15:38, Freak Prodigy wrote:
Quote:

YES! IT IS A DANGER NOT WORTH RISKING! the vapors are from the 2 acids used to make flash paper/cotton...the 2 chems together are called nitro-cellulose.
the vapors can ruin your lungs, esophogus, nasal passages, etc.
DON'T INHALE FLASH VAPORS!

Ok then that's all I needed to know.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Once, a while ago, I was doing a USO show (Yes, it was during WWI) and had the "brilliant" idea of putting flash paper in the thumb tip (TT) I was using to vanish a cigarette in a handkerchif (VACIAH). The concentrated fumes went into my eyes and my performance ended right then. I have not done this even once more in the ensuing 63 years.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2005-05-10 15:52, David Ranalli wrote:
Quote:

Azrael

It's for a cigarrette routine that I am working on. I try to work out magic that will suit the crowds that I hang out with, and most of my friends are smokers so this is the perfect trick for them.
Basically I take out a pipe and talks about how I have no cigarrettes to smoke. I then do this whole thing with rolling papers where they vanish and reappear (the box of papers, not the papers themselves). I then take out 2 rolling papers, crumble them up and do a sort of spongeball routine with the papers. I then take the papers (which I use a crossing the gaze switch to switch for flash paper with tobacco wrapped in it) and set it in the pipe. I light the flash paper and once the flame is gone there is perfectly good tobacco sitting in the pipe ready to be smoked. I was debating whether or not I should just roll the tobacco and eat the cigarrette as the finish (and never even introduce the pipe), but I think it's better left as sort of an introduction to smoking with other people. Plus actually rolling the tobacco would be a delay after the trick is over and might make it less effective as they might forget about the trick completely. One might figure it would be easier to just borrow a cigarrette but since I'm occasionally asked to do magic it would be more interesting.

My thought is that the cigarette smoke will probably kill us before the flash paper residue would.I quit smoking both.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Substance left behind from Flash Paper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL