The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Second hand english book store in japan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Anybody here knows where I can find a good second hand books store in japan..i am looking to buy some books that are impossible to find in japan other than me going to america..if any one of you guys are familiar just let me know..if no I'm sorry to interrupt..no problems..
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
If you are talking about second hand books store who sells books on magic in English, there is none. I have checked all second hand book sotres in Kanda, which is the famous area for seond hand books store, but in veil.

The reason is simple. There are not too many magicians who read English.
Ton Onosaka once told me he could sell new magic books in English for 30 magicians at most. Other magic shops don't carry magic books in English.

Hideo Kato
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Oh yeah kato san I went to magic land..i saw ton onosaka san but I didn't speak with him very much..he seems busy and my japanese is limited..but it was great to see him..he just asked me if I am learning magic..i bought a close up mat and found some old english books..he adviced me to go to America....he said I can find a lot there..does onosaka san knows any foreign magicians comunity in japan..i think I will visit him again..just that I am a little shy becouse he is a big magician and I am just starting..well if you have any advice for me??
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Of course you can find much more magic books in English in U.S. than in Japan. Why don't you use on-line shops to buy books?

Advice for you to become friendly with Ton-san? It's simple, visit the shop several times and spend money.

If there are foreign magicians community, Ton-san should know. But I'm afraid there isn't.

Maybe the best advice I can give you is "Learn to speak Japanese".

Hideo Kato
nick vassil
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of nick vassil
Jack is dead ,what books did you buy from his shop?,if you don`t mind me asking.
I am a foreigner living in Ibaraki.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
If you are living in Ibaraki I don't thinks any book will be worth for your travel here..its a quite small store and mostly japanese..i bought th encyclopedia of card tricks..im suprised to see a foreigner in japan that is interested in magic..maybe we should meet up!
Jon Snyder
View Profile
New user
Japan
64 Posts

Profile of Jon Snyder
Jack_is_dead,

Where are you at? I've been living in Tokyo for 4 and a half years and have been to Ton's shop a few times. He has a nice quaint little shop and some great products.

I'll also be going to "The Close Up" in Odaiba on October 9th. Very excited.

Jon
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Hei Jon I am very pleased to hear from you..absolutely delighted..if you are in tokyo than there will be no problem for us to meet up right..I have been waiting for almost a year to hear any news like this..you know I really need a friend to discuss about magic and to get more information as I am pretty much lost in Japan.I am living in Aobadai about 20 mins to Shibuya station..So just PM me if you are interested..I have quite a number of stuffs to share..Thank you again and great to hear from you!
dragonx
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of dragonx
Wow, where were you guys? I've been living in Tokyo for 10 years and been doing magic for the past 2 years.

You may want to try going to the Blue Parrot Books store at Takadanobaba station. My mom once found around 20 old copies of magic magazines there. The website for the store is: http://www.blueparrottokyo.com. You may want to check Kinokuniya at Times Square Plaza in Shinjuku, or the top floor of Tower Records in Shibuya, although I doubt they have anything other than children's magic books. Amazon.co.jp has most of Jean Huegard's books and Karl Fulves' Self-Working magic books. Plus, shipping is free if you spend more than Y1500.

I'd really like to meet both of you. I'll be going to "The Close Up" as well. Which parts of the convention are you signed up for Jon? Jack, any chance you are also going? Please PM me!
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Thanks for your info....actually I have tried all the kinokuniya and the same kind..and amazon is good but I really want to go and see the books myself and second hand is great as it is cheaper..well thanks for the blueparrot...i will go there too..i have sent you a pm about our meetings..hope to meet you soon!and please tell us something about the close up at odaiba..how was it??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Second hand english book store in japan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL