The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Crysalis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi all, I've been thinking about this since reading Wolfs article on the poor EA who died performing it and was wondering if anyone here knows of any books of manuscripts that tell a little more about it. Or has anyone of you actually performed it and have pictures/video of you doing it. I've never seen this before and the pic on the article is only of his head.

Thanks,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Ros,

I am going to perform a version of it for WEAR. I have the slave collar, manacles and chains, now I just have to get the cowl and hood. The best description of part of it that I have found is in the Encyclopedia of Escapes (which doesn't call it the Chrysalis). This description gives the essence of it as a rope or chain escape while cowled. I will get some photos on my web site soon as part of my efforts for WEAR.

The full rigging is pretty impressive, heavy and nasty. Not only have I been practicing with the gear, but I also bought a very important other piece of equipment, a combination rowing machine and stationary bike. The rowing machine really helps on the upper body and back without interfering with flexibility.

As you likely know, a chrysalis is the tough outer casing in which a caterpillar pupates to form a butterfly. I expect to emerge from the Chrysalis transformed as well, although I hope to avoid the type of transformation that Roger MacKenzie experienced.

Onward and upward as Pastor Clyde says!

Yours,

Paul
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So Paul, are you completely covered? I always imagined the escape to be done inside some kind of body bag. Rather than it being just a chain escape with a hood on.

I'm assuming when you guys in the US are refering to a cowl you mean a hood??

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ros you are Correct. and yes this Srysalis thing might be like/simililar to John Novak's Cocoon,
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The difference is that the "cowl" goes over the head, with a hole for your head to poke through, and down below the waist, so you are not completely covered, hence the hood for the head. The "cocoon" rig, you step into and it ties over your head like a mailbag. Cindini does the cocoon escape, and has pictures of it up on her web site.

Picture a circle of canvas with a headsized hole, reinforced with straps and such, and you have the "cowl" I'm referring to. In the escape, you throw it off over the head. If you were suspended upside down (I won't be), you could just throw it off once you were loose.

Of course, to make it interesting, the whole thing is wrapped in chains and padlocks once it's on.

Yours,

Paul
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Cheers Paul I'll go check it out. Don't know why I didn't notice it on there before.

Ros
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Thanks for Clearing that up Paul. I had the article but did not know very much about the actual escape. Judging by the picture in the article and by what you said, I take it that much of the chains and such had already been removed from Mr McKenzie? Sounds like quite an impressive escape. Also, the article said something about this escape being dubbed unlucky, or something to that effect, Does anyone know why? I would like to know more about this.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone have a Pic of this Crysalis Escape. or know where to buy the stuff needed for it ?
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I think Paul said that he does. We will wait for him.
Wolflock
South Africa
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Wolfie,

I would think that after Roger MacKenzie's transformation in performance, most people would consider the Chrysalis unlucky. I don't know what other mishaps are associated with it, but it could be like the old stage tradition involving the "Scottish play."

If you have been around actors, you know that the worst thing possible is to say the regular word for "Mackers" in a dressing room, or heaven forbid, to speak any of the lines from the play in a dressing room or backstage. I was in a production of the Scottish play and we had some bad luck. An hour before curtain Mackers was practicing his stage fighting with his principal adversary. We were using broadswords with no edge, but these get nicked up on the edges and end up looking like saws. He failed to block one of the choreographed swings to the head and was granted a Crimson Crown requiring ten stitches. The performance went on about 45 minutes late.

See, I can't even bring myself to write the word in this thread for fear that my WEAR escape will feature the wrong kind of newspaper article after the escape.

Yours,

Paul
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
You have a good point there. Thank heavens I am not superstitious (or just have a deathwish). So I don't mind saying Good luck instead of break a leg, etc. But I don't think I would take too much of a chance just yet with that escape. I will see how your escape turns out first before I attempt it. *Evil grin* If you are still alive after the WEAR, I will try it.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone have more info on this. what does the cowl and hood look like. and also what did the manacles look like. as well to where/when did this take place and was it on the news ?
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
It's covered a bit in this thread. It was in Australia in 1967, the clipping is here.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Crysalis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL