The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon's Philosophy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I am almost ashamed to admit it but I own no books of Dai Vernon's works. My question is if I want to get one with his philosophies or theories about naturalness etc., which one has more of that sort of thing in it?

Thanks

Adam
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Book of Magic
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
"The Dai Vernon Book of Magic" written by Lewis Ganson.
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
Vernon book of magic, agreed. The chapter where he really lays it out is chapter 2, the Vernon touch. The one difficult thing with Vernon is that much of his stuff has become standard. For this reason much of his brilliant thinking seems to be the norm.
Focus on naturalness and attention to detail.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
That's fine I just wanna read it for myself
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The Dai Vernon book of magic is great but I also suggest the Vernon Chronicles and if you can get and read some old genii mags and the Vernon Touch column that he wrote. There are many good performing ideas and magic theory in those as well.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
ryay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ryay
If it will convince you, I also recommend book of magic. It has everything you want. Just get it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Enjoy it. For a primer, have a look through The Stars of Magic.

You may then want to get the Vernon Tribute(s) to Liepzig and to Malini.

The guy LOVED clever tricks, and being clever about methods used in tricks.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I was lucky enough to be slightly acquainted with Vernon and I got to spend a precious few hours with him on a couple of occasions, jamming and gabbing. I have always believed that his "be natural" philosophy has been taken out of context and and taken to extremes that he never intended. You have to remember that Dai was born in 1895, a very different world...an era when magic,along with theater and juggling, was performed with greatly exaggerated movements and overly dramatic gestures. Vernon's "natural" handling was a reaction against this tradition. I don't think that he meant to eradicate all flourishes in the way that some present day followers believe. Vernon loved to play with cards for hours at a time and although he wouldn't be interested in the elaborate virtuoso cuts that some young guys are into, he certainly did some flourishes on occasion. I saw him do some.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Wow that's really cool to know thanks Glen

Adam
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Glenn Godsey

Lennart Green on his DVDs backs up what you say, he also spent time with him.

Regards

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
"The Vernon Touch' - hopefully out this year...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Excellent Mr. Godsey, Dai Vernon Book Of Magic was a book that I read almost as much as the Bible early in my journey thru magic. I still have that book (I purchased it in the early '70s from Paul Diamond's magic shop for $10). I still read it. Anyone who spent time w/ "The Professor", is lucky indeed! Thanx for the clarification.
Respectfully...

<<<KRaZy4Kardz>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
What era of the Genii mags is his column in?
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Stars of Magic and the Dai Vernon Book of Magic are 2 of the best books I have ever read.If you want to see Dai Vernon's thinking you should get yourself his Revelations DVD series.There are really some valuable information in them.I think that many people will agree that Dai Vernon and Marlo are the kings of magic.
Andre
Marcus Taylor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Marcus Taylor
Richard Kaufman has now published The Vernon Touch. This is over 600 pages and contains all the writings of Dai Vernon in Genii. It is exclusively available from Richard Kaufman and seems like a fantastic investment
Magically Yours,

Marcus Taylor

marcus-magic@hotmail.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 07:32, andre combrinck wrote:...I think that many people will agree that Dai Vernon and Marlo are the kings of magic.

Sadly, such is meaningless as they are both gone. We will all be gone one day, and what matters is what we do today. To venerate those one has never met is also sad. To ask others to turn away from the living to worship icons made of our dead is downright scary. There are many today who remember those people they still feel the loss of their friends.

Instead of dumpster diving for grace, try finding those who bring virtue to our craft and help them. Support their efforts. Make magic a more lively and better place.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
I recommend Volume 4 of the Vernon Chronicles - hard to find but great reading!

Dave
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Read Erdnase with fundamentalist fervor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon's Philosophy (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL