We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Buy a close-up mat! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
After 3 years in our craft, I have bought a close-up mat. Before I never really saw the point in them, I only bought this one because I'm fed up of wrecking cards doing tricks on the bar top.
However, I have fallen in love... tricks and sleights I've been struggling with for months suddenly become within easy reach with the mat, things like the pick-up turnover switch with coins, or a false riffle shuffle.
If you're starting out in close-up, you could waste your money on worse things than a mat, these things are wonderful! They give you a stage, they scream professional magician, and they help you work your sleights.
Paul
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I couldn't agree more. Glad you like your mat. I have a blue mat like Oz Pearlman's in most of his demo videos Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of Alniner
True. I own a few(one for home, one for the office). However, what happens when you're out at the bar and you don't have the mat with you, or if you're at a gathering and are asked to perform. Can you still do the same effects without one? I'd say get one, but practice with AND without it.
Skĺl

--
Alan
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
definately practice without it more than with it! As nice as it is, don't let the mat become a crutch!
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-05-11 15:16, Alniner wrote:
True. I own a few(one for home, one for the office). However, what happens when you're out at the bar and you don't have the mat with you, or if you're at a gathering and are asked to perform. Can you still do the same effects without one? I'd say get one, but practice with AND without it.

You practice at the office? Dosen't your boss get mad?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I have used mouse pads as close up mats before. They were just as well in some situations. Not really ideal for cards as there is not that much room, but you can do a card/coin matrix really easily on a mouse pad. Also, coins across works out fine too. Give it a try sometime.

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Hi Phil, I too have used mouse pads when a regular mat was unavailable. Works pretty good for the coin routines like you said.
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
Im glad you brought your mat. They work absolute wonders
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Quote:

The boss hasn't said anything yet(knocks on wood). I've only got a small mat at work. It fits half under my keyboard, so it looks like a wrist guard. I only really practice my seconds, bottoms, passes and doubles at work. I'm not doing routines at my desk(unless somebody asks to be shown something).
Skĺl

--
Alan
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Quote:
On 2005-05-12 11:43, Alniner wrote:
Quote:

The boss hasn't said anything yet(knocks on wood). I've only got a small mat at work. It fits half under my keyboard, so it looks like a wrist guard. I only really practice my seconds, bottoms, passes and doubles at work. I'm not doing routines at my desk(unless somebody asks to be shown something).

I am the boss..... just kidding, I pratice a lot at work, while reading, I found a perfect way to practice my sleight while paying attention to something else. That way the become more natural. But back to the topic, I always have a small mat in my bag, so I never have the problem of not having a mat. It save your cards and yes many thing will go easier on a mat.
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
I agree. Having a close-up mat adds professionalism to your performances
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
And these mats are not expensive. Mine is from Penguinmagic.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
I've killed many decks before getting a close-up mat. There are even small mats that can kept in your coat when needed at a moments notice.

Will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Buy a close-up mat! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL