The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Greatest effect with a memorized deck (118 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I'm partial to Darwin Ortiz's "Zen Master", and Caleb Wiles "Armchair Mindreader" (but with a mem deck.)
jmbulg
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
208 Posts

Profile of jmbulg
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Here's a knockout one by Woody Aragon:

https://www.facebook.com/woody.aragon.7/......ef=story

Wow !
Imirik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Imirik
Any ideas where to look up Woody's effect?
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2016, Imirik wrote:

It cannot be explained. But Vernon tries to in More Inner Secrets of Card Magic.
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Quote:

You can work it out if you are familiar with a stack deck. There is a small section edited out of the video at 1:09 this is where he does a little dirty work.
Woody is a master and if you get a chance to get hold of any of his DVD's or books, you will not be disappointed. Smile
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2016, Kjellstrom wrote:

You should all try out Darwin Ortiz super strong mem-deck effect: Test Your Luck, page 255, from his latest book: Lessons in Card Mastery (2012).

Book: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......mastery/
Download a video: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ed-deck/

I have done this effect 100s of times since I bought the book and I love the see and hear that people freak out almost every time.
The routine is very well-designed. Almost impossible to backtrack how its done.

Effect:
A spectator names any card. She then inserts a random card anywhere into the deck.
In the process, she herself locates the card that she had named.

I enjoyed watching the video. That said, both Test your Luck and Card Sense were trivial to figure out. I watched the video and immediately knew what was going on. Impossible to backtrack? Not so much. If I know what's happened after watching a performance video once, the effect is fairly easy to backtrack. If I don't know what's happening after a single viewing, but my wife does, the effect is harder to backtrack. (For the record, my wife nailed Test Your Luck on on a single viewing too, and did a simulated version without a memdeck instantly.) I'd call these effects fairly decent, but nowhere near mind-boggling. Worth performing, sure. But nowhere near the best effects.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
O. k., coming back to the theme of this thread and without wanting to appear being immodest, I really believe that my "Under Test Conditions" (we were discussing it here in "Shuffle Not Stirred" in a different thread) falls in this category. It is impossible to backtrack, as there seems to be no explanation even for people supposing a memorized deck, and most important: there is no substitute for the method, so the method makes sense as there is no substitute available Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Yes, 'under test conditions' is an excellent effect (as was your whole Penguin lecture!).

Very well thought out and even with the ability (to at least partially) fool magicians.

.. Also looking forward very much to your book, Jan, mentioned in the lecture.

Quote:
On Sep 13, 2016, JanForster wrote:
O. k., coming back to the theme of this thread and without wanting to appear being immodest, I really believe that my "Under Test Conditions" (we were discussing it here in "Shuffle Not Stirred" in a different thread) falls in this category. It is impossible to backtrack, as there seems to be no explanation even for people supposing a memorized deck, and most important: there is no substitute for the method, so the method makes sense as there is no substitute available Smile Jan
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
It sounds to me like Jan Forster's "Under Test Conditions" is probably a variant of Histed Heisted, which would currently receive my top vote. I'd really like to see a performance video of "Under Test Conditions". =) Histed Heisted completely fooled me, but didn't completely fool my wife. If "Under Test Conditions" makes it somewhat more devious, that'd be pure genius, and my bet is that it probably does. Not that Histed Heisted needs to be made more devious, IMO. It's completely diabolical as it stands. But here I confess to posting in partial ignorance.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
No, "Under Test Conditions" is not to compare in any way with "Histed Heisted". If you want to compare then you should more think into the direction of "Four Part Harmony", another often overlooked and great creation of Simon Aronson. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
While there are a number of effects similar to "Under Test Conditions" (Ramón Riobóo's "The Five Sense" from "Thinking the Impossible", Tom Stone's "The Etude" from "Flatland Fever", Greg Chapman's "Pure and Simple" from "The Devil's Staircase", etc...) I am most impressed presentation-wise with Jan's version he performed in the explanation portion of his Penguin Live lecture.

Even if you're well-read and familiar with the premise (Chapman's book has a lot of great work on it n both the "Pure and Simple" and the "Mind-reading with a Memorized Deck" sections) you would still be remiss not to get Jan's lecture. His alternate method of performing it opens up a fresh world of opportunities.

An "Under Test Conditions"-like effect is now right up there with Mnemonicosis in what consider "greatest effects with a memorized deck."
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Absolutely correct and well observed! I know all of the above mentioned routines. In my German book "Unerwartet Mental Angehaucht" I write a bit about the history, similar approaches and the final development of "Under Test Conditions". I still think that it offers quite a lot in different handling and presentation which makes it possible to be performed easily stand up or on stage (which was my main goal) compared to many other clever creations. Just look up my take on Simon Aronson's "Four Part Harmony" which I published here some time ago (same goal).

IMHO especially Riobóo's creation contains too much handling and procedure to make it work on stage. And BTW, while Greg was writing on his "Devil's Staircase" (a wonderful book!!)we were corresponding for some time, even considering putting my "Under Test Conditions" in his book. At the end we decided not to do so as it got too many similarities with some of his own fabulous creations Smile . It seems impossible to reinvent the wheel, so my focus went in a different direction. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Very glad that your focus went in that direction, Jan. I can't believe how much tipping the presentation on its head (as you do in your alternate presentation in the explanation video) allows for so many additional possibilities and subtle reveals. There were times performing Greg's where I thought "If only I could find a sensible way to reveal the second spec immediately, since I already know it..." and your presentation gave the perfect reasoning. Thank you again!

On a different topic and in the spirit of the thread: I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but "Twice as Hard" (from "Try the Impossible") is another great memorized deck effect. It's one of those where you read the workings, think to yourself "Wait... what? How?" then fool yourself with it a few more times before you can finally sit down and focus on a presentation for it. (simple to get back into stack afterwards, too, with just a little forethought!)
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, "Twice as Hard " is a fantastic routine Smile ! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I can recommend the powerful effect "Catch me if you can" by Pit Hartling, page 18 from his superb book: In order to amaze.
Of course, there is many more great effects in this book.

The book: http://www.inordertoamaze.com/
CoffeeBeans
View Profile
New user
Germany
39 Posts

Profile of CoffeeBeans
I have to agree with Mats. Catch me if you can is one of my favorite things to do. It's my go to memdeck effect!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2016, TRI6KED wrote:
Quote:

You can work it out if you are familiar with a stack deck. There is a small section edited out of the video at 1:09 this is where he does a little dirty work.
Woody is a master and if you get a chance to get hold of any of his DVD's or books, you will not be disappointed. Smile

I see no edits in this video. I can work out what he did, essentially, but I see no edits.
It's all in the reflexes.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2016, TRI6KED wrote:
Quote:

I see no edits in this video. I can work out what he did, essentially, but I see no edits.

Ah, disregard! I see it now.
It's all in the reflexes.
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
Quote:
On May 12, 2005, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Let's see...a spectator cuts off a packet of cards, looks at the card he cut to, shuffles up the packet and covers it with the rest of the deck. A second spectator does the same thing. A third spectator cuts to a card and hands it to you. You give him the card back, he puts it on top of this third stack of cards that has been cut off, and he covers that with the deck, too. You name a number, the first spectator names a card, and deals down to your number...whereupon he finds his card. You name another number, the second spectator names HIS card, and deals down to your number...finding HIS card. The third spectator names a number and you name YOUR card...he deals down to HIS number and finds your card. The deck has been cut three times by the spectators and the first two times a card was cut to, the packet was shuffled. You've never touched the deck. The only single card you've cut to is the one the spectator handed you. If you can do that with a normal deck and a bit of off-beat culling, more power to you.
Oh, and as for myself, the "unnecessary liability" never leaves me in any sort of worse position than anyone who doesn't use a stack - I just go into a non-memdeck effect.

Where can I find this effect? I actually used to know it—but I can’t remember what book it’s in!

Quote:
On 2005-05-12 12:53, Magic Sam wrote:
There are so many killer effects that can be done with a memorized stack (five-ten cards), so to me a memorized deck just seems like an unnecessary liability. What happens when the cards fall, or your false shuffle moves one card to the wrong position, or any number of things? Granted, there are plenty of good pros who use the memorized deck, but I can't think of anything that can't be done with a normal deck and a bit of off-beat culling.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
My greatest effect, using a MD: (Thanks to Mr. Thomas Baxter, entity, May He RIP) I will always be grateful!) "SI's ACAAN."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Greatest effect with a memorized deck (118 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL