The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making Deals with Sponsors etc. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
I contacted a local photo shoot place and asked if they would be willing to sponsor a photo session and the use of the images in exchange for "advertisment/sponsored by logo" on my website as well as on posters where I use the images. I perform all over and around where this photo place is located and I know I would draw more customers in to their store.

They have written back and they have offered to give me a half hour photo shoot and 6 photos on CD for anything I wish to use them for in exchange for an afternoon entertaining the young ones that come through their store. They also want the above advertisment mentioned.

I'm not too sure if this is a good deal or what and would like some help. I know I would have to clarify no more than one to two hours of my time for there "afternoon entertaining", but I also know that their half hour photo shoot is not worth two hours of my entertainment time. This is where I'm stuck because Im not sure how much it normally costs for the unlimited use of the photos on advertising materials etc.

This is the first time I have run into this and would love some feedback, etc.
Thank you in advance eh!
Magically,
Kenley

P.S. I LOVE THIS PLACE Smile
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Kenley,

The "rights" to use the photos any way you want may actually be of considerable value. Here in the US (Florida anyway) it has been my experience that professional photographers charge between $150.00 and $300.00 per photo for full rights.

On the other side of the coin - I'm concerned about the quality of photos you are going to be able to get from a photo place in the mall - especially if you are planning to use them for publicity purposes.

If you are just starting out, and you do decide to make the deal with them, be sure that they also agree to allow you to hand out your personal marketing materials to everyone that comes by to further promote your services which will result in spin-off shows.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Lyndel
Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
Hmmmm...

Thank you for the advice Lyndel as I would not have thought of that and I certainly didn't know full photo rights cost soo much!

The photos as far as I have seen are very high quality. They have a site at http://www.kidsphoto.ca. The examples on there site are not the best but the stuff in their stores are beautiful!

Do you think two hours in there store would be alright? ALso do you think I should suggest that we place my poster advertising that I would be doing magic in their store for that day?

Thank you again!
-Kenley
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Kenley,

Two hours sounds fair... If you do a good job bringing in the traffic and promoting their business, they may want you back again on a regular basis @ your regular fee.

As far as the poster advertising your appearance... ABSOLUTELY! In fact, every advertising advantage that you can reap from a client that you are bartering services with the better - as far as I'm concerned. Publicity is always important, but when you are trading your services with someone, it is paramount!

I checked out their photos on the web site. Not bad... Just don't let them put a cheesy background behind you. White makes a great background to use because it makes it easy to scan the photo into your computer and manipulate it with a program like photoshop.

Regards,

Lyndel
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Well, see what you can find in the local underground. Every major city has a sort of counter culture and within there you can also find some really good photographers that you can strike up a good deal with.

I trade my time and make props and help with things for my good friend Jeff who runs photoassassin http://www.photoassassin.com and traded some of my time modeling for him to do some pictures for me for promo and pitch cards. (I'm the one listed under sideshow in the photoassassin page)
Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
Thank you for your help guys Smile
I contacted her by phone and I am going in for the photo session this Thursday...
And we will discuss when I will perform the two hour walk around then!

Thanks again and I shall post back here when I get the photos back Smile

-Kenley
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Kenley,

Assuming that you put the photos to work for you, I think you have done a good day's work already. Smart move! Trade what you've got for what you want!

Let us know how well it works our for you.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
Well I went in today and really have never been to a photo session before so they got me ready etc, and at the end of my half hour session I received no photos. But here is why...

I went into the session with 3 outfits and some magic props. I had about 36 pictures taken and they looked alright but my photographer (very nice guy) didn't like how they were turning out so... he decided he wanted some time to think about how to photograph me and so gave me an hour long session on June the 9th. He also told me to bring a lot of the props I wish to show case etc. as well as bring my rabbit and other animals. Nice eh!

So I was wondering how I should get ready for this new photo session? Do I perform the effects I wish to show case or mimmick the movements? Any help here would be sweet because I didn't expect the photographer to try soo hard to get the look I want!

Thanks eh!!!

Oh and as a side note, I was wondering if any of you would like to take a look at my website and let me know what you think of it. http://www.kenleybrowne.com
The photographer took a look at it and though I should have a BLACK background and FLASH animate it... What do you think? I went for a white background for this site because I saw that most magicians in my area use black as the background and didn't want to be like "most magicians". I will ask this in another forum but though I may as well ask here as well. Thanks again guys!

-Kenley
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Kenley, just a couple quick things about your site.

1. The text is black on a darker background. For my eyes it is a little difficult to read, I would lighten the background a little.

2. In the About section you have the line "Currently taking Stage Production courses at the University of Calgary." Does this help your magic act? No. This is about your magic and abilities so I would just leave that line out.

Excellent site.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Kenley -

A agree that there is some text on the site that is very hard to read, because it is dark on dark.

Another thing that might be nice, would be some client testimonials (quotes or whole letters). That way, you aren't talking about yourself as much. Let your customers talk about you instead.

Best of luck on the Stampede talent competition. YeeHaw!

For planning a photo session, you might wish to seek out a copy of Anne White's book, "Camera Magic". I am not sure if it still available, but here is her website. It was very helpful in preparing for the sessions I did with her many years ago.

- Donald

P.S. Here are 4 threads that might be of help to you, as well:

Cafe thread titled... What makes a good promo shot?
Cafe thread titled... Famous Photographer??
Cafe thread titled... Question about Promo Pictures
Cafe thread titled... 8 X 10s
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kenley Browne
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Kenley Browne
Thank you for all your help guys! I have some ideas now for the photo session and Donald the links you gave were lots of help Smile

I am already working on a client testimonials page and it is almost ready to be put up. I just want to make sure it looks good first, and I will have scans as well as newspaper articles etc.

I will lighten the text now that you mention it... I don't want it to be hard to read! Thanks again and I will let you know how the Photo session on June the 9th goes...
Until then...
-Kenley

Update: June 14 2005

I just want to thank everyone who has helped me out again!

Your advice and links were just what I needed because I went back last Thursday for a reshoot and we got some amazing 130+ shots of me and my magic!!! I knew what I wanted and he did a little more research and he said he would like me to have them all. This is awesome...

Now I am going in for a viewing before they burn them to a CD and I will also offer KidsphotoCANADA perhaps 3 days of 2 hrs. walkaround magic. I think that's fair... what do you think?

I will post some of the pics later on when I get them!

Magically,
Kenley Browne

Update: Aug 3 2005

CHeck out my site at http://www.kenleybrowne.com because I have a few of the pictures up!!!!

They really help out the site... Let me know what you think about them, and my site Smile
Thank you!
Magically,
Kenley Browne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making Deals with Sponsors etc. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL