We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Duck Magic Tricks & Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Do any of you use ducks in your show? I would like to add some new tricks for my duck and right now all I do with my duck are the following:
Duck Pan
Duck Decapitation (Kevin James)
Duck Bucket as a Vanish
Loading Duck in Production Boxes like Doves to Rabbit, Square Circle, Rabbit Loader

My duck is trained to stay standing while placed on my table no matter what the activity. I think this is called "marking". He is very tame and doesn't get spooked easily.

Any more ideas and suggestions?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I once made a Duck Botania. Duck put in tube changed to botania.

Why not make a "rabbit wringer" for a duck?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Lou,

There's a member at the Café whom is quite knowlegable regarding working with ducks and his nic is Magicduck. :O) You may due a search and find some of his prior post or try to contact him. Another member that uses a duck in his show is Dave Womack who is also a member at the Café.

Good luck!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wy wife Lucy has four ducks in training now. She used geese several years.

Bob
Magic By Sander

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Hi,

Saw your comments, also the note by Crystal. I have used ducks for about twenty years. Generally, I believe you can use a duck for anything you can do with a rabbit, just make the correct size load chamber. I feel the same way about dove magic, can be made for ducks, other than obviously some of the body loads would be a bit difficult with a duck. Although some of the magicians from the Orient used to do this concealing the birds under their clothing. Ducks come in different sizes. The indian runner, tall and skinny is one popular "magic" duck. I have in recent years used the larger ducks, such as the Pekin...a big white duck.

As far as effects, I use a duck bucket for production. I also have two different production boxes I use. One is a Jack Hughes creation, sort of an elevator production box. Another, which I like a lot, is a tip over box that was thought up by Joe Berg. It has end doors that open. These make the box look really empty, a plus, and the same drawers cover the edge view...a weakness of this effect.

I have a vanish that I built that is similar to the classic "Where do the ducks go." It is simplifed without a big cage. I show a box, covered with newspaper. Show a lid on both sides. Put the lid on the box and put a duck in. Pull the lid off, start taking the box apart. As I take the box apart, a small compartment is hanging down. It is covered with newspaper too. As you can guess, when it is broken open, and all parts removed, the duck is gone.

I also do a duck wringer, which I built. It works great. Instead of a "bag" as is used in the rabbit version, this has a mirror. I have it resting on a screen. When I show duck box empty, I trip a feather duster that drops down and is visible between sections of the screen. The rest can be figured out I am sure.

I believe it was Tarbell, who had a neat effect with rabbits, that could be done with a duck. You had a tube, drop an animal of one color in the top, lift it and another comes out the bottom. For example, a Pekin to a Mallard.

Then there is the effect Copperfield did, the head of the rooster and the head of the duck change places. Basically it is a costume change on poultry. Copperfield had the the other effect with Webster, pretty elaborate, which was like a live duck version of the sliding die box, with a man underneath dressed as Mercury or something of the sort.

Quack
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One real advantage of ducks over geese is that they are not as aggressive. (They are also apparently not as intellignet either. But they are very easy to train.)

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Magicduck,

Just wanted to use to opportunity to say hi as I haven't seen you for a while. Thanks for posting your comments . If I remember correctly, once read a column you wrote, regarding working with ducks. Or was that dogs? My memory is a bit dim but I do remember doing a search online a few years ago and you were the author.

Anyway good seeing you and perhaps we'll bump into each other in the near future again.

Chrystal
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
When I went to see 'The Worlds Greatest Magic Show' in Vegas, there was a production of a duck from a bucket and it went down very well audience. A big cute white duck with a bow round its neck. The guy behind me held the bucket and I ended up on friends lap once the duck was produced LOL,

Dizzy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Duck Magic Tricks & Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL