The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Magic ideas" for football plays??????? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
I have a good friend that was just named the asst. coach for a high school football team in Hesperia, Michigan. This team went 0-9 last season and lost by scores like 42-0, 57-6, and so on!!

I told him I'd try and think of ANY "ideas" where magic could be used to help them this season (!!??)...I don't mean having the "Nutty Professor" show up like in the 60's Disney movies with some "Flubber"...but some real, WORKABLE" magic that could help with some very "trick" plays!!??

Already thought how "The Black Hole" could be used to "hide" the ball a couple different ways (since I have this)...but wondering if anybody out there has any ideas they could add??????

Even if a "non-legal gimmick" is used, we'd probably get away with it if it was used ONCE and the gimmick hidden and off the field right after the play ended!!!

Any ideas would be appreciated and I'd post on here how they worked and the results!!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Maybe you could make a few football "shells". QB goes back, hands a ball off to the back(shell). Then he hands another ball to the right end as he sweeps through the backfield(shell). Then he hands another ball to the left end as he sweeps through the backfield(shell). Then he throws the real ball downfield to a wide open reciever for a TD.

Should work, yeah right.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for!!!!!

THANKS!!!!....anybody else think of something...no matter how "off the wall" let's hear 'em!!!!

A "football shell" like a "deck shell"!!!!...GOOD idea!!! of course it'd have to wad up and vanish after the play...maybe a half-shell made of painted aluminum foil several layers thick. That'd be easy to crush 'n hide!!!

Plenty of time to get these together and get a "magic play book" together before next season!!!

Maybe we can have so many "magic plays" that we can relese the "game tapes highlites" as "magic performance videos"!!!!!
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I have played football for 6 years and have always had these 2 ideas..

-Get every player to wear a brown towel in their pants sticking out.. If you hold it like a ball, it could confuse greatly.

-Have brown lining inside a jersey..If the player who fakes to carry the ball rolls his jersey around his forearm you have an instant football..to make it vanish would simply be to let the jersey fall back into place.

You;re an awesome coach for asking this.. you'll have fun
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
If you could somehow get the ball to "stick" or hang behind the quarterback's back. If he pretends to lateral to the running back and ditch tha ball behind his back, then stare at the running back (who has the brown gimmick).

He could be completely empty handed until another player who runs the other way picks up the ditched ball behind the quarter back's back.. wooo that was fun to imagine
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-05-13 15:05, Eric Leclerc wrote:
If you could somehow get the ball to "stick" or hang behind the quarterback's back. If he pretends to lateral to the running back and ditch tha ball behind his back, then stare at the running back (who has the brown gimmick).

He could be completely empty handed until another player who runs the other way picks up the ditched ball behind the quarter back's back.. wooo that was fun to imagine

The old "Statue of Liberty" play but with a gimmick to hold the ball in place. They way we used to run it the QB would feign a pass and follow through. Then an end would come take the ball from behind. It's a little different than the usual way where the QB holds the ball in the "Statue of Liberty" position. It's actually very deceptive. With a gimmick to hold the ball the QB could stand there with his arms folded while the other player came and grabbed the ball. LOL, not a bad idea.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Anything using misdirection to illustrate how to get the opposing team to think you are going/doing one way, only to find the ball carrier where they are not.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Uh... not to be a %*@& but these are all pretty lame...

If you are talking about gimicks and such then you are asking how to cheat, which isn't a good thing.

If you are talking about "using misdirection" there are already BUNCH of plays that work on a fake pass/fake handoff, ect.

If there was anything revolutionary that a magician could add to football, why hasn't it been adopted by football?

I mean, if you were a physist, would you "try to come up with plays that used physics to help you win" for your friend the asst coach? Or like a painter "Try to come up with plays using art to confuse the eye" or a dance guy talking about how rushes could be improved using dance technique? It sounds great for a TV show, but really in real life?

I dunno, the whole thing sounds kinda lame... the game is about being good at a sport, not cheating the other team.

The idea's with brown towel's/jerseys are ok, but really the whole idea of faking a handoff have already been done to death and you are much better off just having a strong game rather than trying to rely on some gimicks that the friend of the asst. coach thought up.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Now THAT was lame.... relax!!!!! hehe
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
The application of magic principles to sports has the potential for a fascinating topic (and not just for football). In my opinion, your coaching friend does not need any new gimmicks. Misdirection in football is a time-honored tactic that typically suffers in its execution. Few quarterbacks in the NFL (let alone college or high school football) truly understand the concept of misdirection. Peyton Manning, quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts, is a superb example of how to be a magician on the football field. Whether he hands the ball off to his running back, or fakes it, is difficult to decipher (and fractions of a second of indecision on the part of the defense can pay huge dividends for the offense). He acts exactly the same whether he has handed the ball off, or not.

Many quarterbacks are decent with a fake handoff, but their weakness is revealed during a real handoff. They turn and watch the running back to see how many yards they will gain. Think how much more deceptive it would be if they acted like they still had the ball after actually handing the ball off. Again, the actions either way should be indistinguishable. I would suggest that your friend watch game tape of Manning, to see how a master of misdirection performs on the field, and then try to communicate these skills to his own quarterback.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Uh, Daegs, misdirection can be used by the entire team - each player - and in different ways depending on your opponent. There is a reason why it has always been an important part of the game. And remember this is for a high school team.

Your point about "nothing new to be added" makes no sense. There are always things to do, even with misdirection, and can be changed from opponent to opponent based on tendencies and coaching, etc....

Like using the same tricks but using different subtleties and patter based on your audience.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
THANKS for these!!! I'm make a "possible ideas Play Book" as we go along so please keep adding ideas!!!
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
The original poster may be long gone, but I couldn't help adding to this thread after witnessing the end of the Fiesta Bowl last night. Boise State, surely undermanned compared to the recruiting machine that is Oklahoma football, relied on deception and misdirection, so-called "trick plays", to win the game. There were many examples, the game film should be required viewing by every offensive coordinator in the country, but a fine example was the new take on the old "statue of liberty" play:
the Link
Note how the QB fakes the pass with an empty right hand, while slyly holding it behind his body for the running back to take. In a similar situation earlier in the season, Boise State ran the play straight, as a screen to the right side of the field. That was the set-up for the deception here, and it was then run to perfection. Could any of us done a better job of "selling" the play? Makes me wonder if that QB is also an amateur magician...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That was pretty sweet. Johnson did as good a job selling the play as Zabransky did. And you know they had a spy on him. He did a good job just milling around and pretending he was watching the play until it was time to go.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I wanted to add the fantastic fake punt in last night's preseason game between the Titans and Bills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7xksmk0ghc

Just great misdirection and ball-handling, the defense was left chasing their jockstraps on this one.

The problem with threads like this that continue for years, of course, is that the links eventually quit working. Oh well.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
If you could somehow get the ball to "stick"

Heh, That's called stickum...usually illegal, in fact I don't think they make it anymore because it was pretty much impossible to fumble the ball.

Back in the 70's and 80's pro bowl and two time Super Bowl Champion, Lester Hayes corner back for the Oakland Raiders used to bathe in the stuff. It eventually led to the NFL, and later colleges and high schools, banning the stuff under what has become known as the Lester Hayes rule.

I remember in High School I used the stuff in a Louisiana state high school playoff game. I intercepted a ball in the end zone because it stuck to my fore arm pad. I tossed it back to the referee who just looked at it and his hand. A team mate pointed it out to me and I quickly pulled off and ditched the fore arm padding. Thus becoming my first publicly performed illusion. Ta dah.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What a beautiful thread. "How can I use our art to cheat in a high school football game?" Glad this guy apparently disappeared before I saw the thread; I probably would have found a reply that might have gotten me banned.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Here is an updated link with video and analysis of the three trick plays from the Boise State/OU 2007 Fiesta Bowl:

3 plays that shocked the world
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 11:11, LobowolfXXX wrote:
What a beautiful thread. "How can I use our art to cheat in a high school football game?" Glad this guy apparently disappeared before I saw the thread; I probably would have found a reply that might have gotten me banned.

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."
Ric Flair
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Magic ideas" for football plays??????? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL