The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Top 3 Reasons a Restaurant should hire you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
What would you say are the main reasons to give a restaurant owner of why he should hire you?
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
I don't currently work restaurants but I still want to throw my two cents in anyway.

There are lots of reasons I'm sure, but to me, if I were a owner of a restaurant the main thing that would matter is "Increased Profit" and "Increase Customer Satisfaction" whether from keeping people from walking out during high traffic time, or by keeping people coming back to see me. Profit and CSAT are the name of the game. The other stuff: Bigger tips for the waiters, an extra set of eyes to make sure issues are handled quickly etc. are all great. But Profit and CSAT are what would be the most important to me.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
1. More sales
2. More customer satisfaction
3. I'm just so darn sexy, how can you not hire me?

heh, anyway the biggest selling point is really a better experiance and environment for customers, any increased sales is an indirect side-effect(which is certaintly a plus). Remember though, generally you are there to create an environment where people will think "Wow I'm glad we went out and came here" or "I want to go out tonight, let's go back to XXX and see that magician".

So focus on creating an atomosphere that people enjoy and will want to come back to.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
969 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Personalized entertainment - especially good for special occasions, like anniversaries and birthdays
Unique entertainment
A cover for delays in seating or delays in the kitchen
Entertain guests during long waits on busy nights
Increase business on slower nights
A way of attracting return customers that bring new customers with them
A way of attracting publicity
A way of delaying the customers from leaving, generating increased revenue
A way of stimulating conversation between strangers in the lounge
An extension of the restaurant’s hospitality
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
1) More Sales.
2) More Sales.
3) More Sales.
After all they're running a business.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Keith hit it all right on the button.

Bravo!!

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The owner likes card tricks!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
When you sit down with a restaurant owner and say, "I will increase your profits," you run a chance that they will pull out a spreadsheet and point to it and ask: "Where?"

You will see line items like liquor costs, meat costs, payroll expenses, delivery charges and a lot of other things you won't have a clue about. If you work there a month and the Manager comes to you and puts the first month against the month you just worked, chances are, the manager will demand, "Show me where you made me more money." Chances are, you won't be able to.

Here's why: the restaurant biz is highly variable and the bottom line is effected by more than just you. Sorry about that, but I'm sure you'll get over it eventually.

Bad weather, school being out, school starting, a flu outbreak, kids going away to camp, soccer season, harvest (in rural areas) and all sorts of things can have a negative impact on the bottom line of a resturant that will show far more that your positive input will have.

So arguing from a bottom-line stance is not a good argument, is it, campers?

Look at what you do FOR the restaurant, instead. You are a benefit in more ways than just being an entertainer, if you can keep your eyes open and know what to look for. You are NOT there to solve problems - that's a job for the service staff and the managers. You are NOT there to wait on guests - that's someone else's job, but you CAN let a server know that they're needed, politely.

And if a Manager IS needed, you can get one, quietly and WITHOUT running. Running conveys a serious problem to the rest of the customers and can start them worrying. Worried customers will often not come back and repeat business is a necessity in the restaurant biz.

Be adult, polite and considerate. Check your ego at the door. You can be an extra pair of eyes and ears for the manager. You can make the place more fun for the guests and generally make theyr stay more fun and that translates into return trips WITH friends. And that generates more business, even in a downturn.

Features and Benefits, fans. Features and benefits.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I make them more money.

Chris
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would like to personally thank Lee Darrow for saving me the misspelling errors I would have encountered by trying to type the EXACT same thing.

You can NOT tell them you make more money for them. It is not possible to show them a line on a chart that proves this.

Thanks for saving me the time Lee

Good Luck

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
You can't promise you'll increase their profits. Especially if you're only there once a week. What you can promise is you'll increase their business on the night(s) you're there. I know...I've seen me do it. You can't be responsible for business (or lack there of) on nights you're not there...that's ridiculous.

This is done in many ways...Keith listed a lot of them in his post.

If you think about it, if you only bring in 3 or 4 families in the restaurant on the night you're there, you've already paid for yourself and in most cases more.

If you can't convince the GM that it's good business to have you at the restaurant, he'd be nuts to hire you. If it's not helping the business, he'd get more use of his money flusing it down the toilet.

Think about your own magic business...are you spending money on promo material that you think isn't going to make you money? Probably not...and if so, you're probably not going to be in this business very long...same thing goes for restaurants.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I've been performing walk around magic at Applebee's Restaurant for about 6 months and I hear a number of regulars say that the main reason they come to Applebee's to eat is to see me do magic. That may or may not be true but it is nice to hear. If no other restaurant in the area offers magic then convince the owner that he will be one up by offering a unique kind of entertainment.

Walking Bob in Iowa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Top 3 Reasons a Restaurant should hire you? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL