The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » That pen joke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
The one where the magician goes "I'll take that thanks....that's how I got it!"

Does anyone agree with me that that is the funniest joke in the whole amusing world of gag-based pattering whitter?
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Doctor Whoston
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
149 Posts

Profile of Doctor Whoston
I disagree about it being that funny as I meet too many people who use it. I guess it's useful for building rapport because it is a joke people have heard before and will give them that warm-fuzzy glow of recognition.
However, if you want to be funny, then try something original. Got any suggestions?
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
No.
zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
Haha that last post made me laugh
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
The joke only works if when you deliver it you slightly incline your head and sort of look at the spectator through the tops of your eyes. This is an advanced technique that is used by all the best comedy magicians (including Terry Seabrooke) and must not be attempted without proper practice.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Quote:
On 2005-05-14 16:03, Top Hat wrote:
The joke only works if when you deliver it you slightly incline your head and sort of look at the spectator through the tops of your eyes. This is an advanced technique that is used by all the best comedy magicians (including Terry Seabrooke) and must not be attempted without proper practice.

I think I detect a tad of irony.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Absolutely the worst. This is the very reason why people hate magicians. Smile

Robert
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hmm, that's a great line!

Let's look at what it says about you:
You're cheap. You can't afford to get a new pen. Why else make a big deal about it?

You're a thief. You got this pen by taking it from someone else.

I also think it's rude. Are you insinuating that they might try and take your pen?

I know someones going to argue that it can be used, to great success, if you know how to deliver it.

Is it worth it though? It's not that funny.
I would much rather ask someone to put the pen in their hat. When they respond that they don't have a hat, you say no prob, we don't have a pen either and make it vanish.

It's a cute throw away that will get a response.
or, just put the pen away.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2005-05-14 22:02, Nordatrax wrote:
Hmm, that's a great line!

its not that funny.
I would much rather ask someone to put the pen in their hat. when they respond that they don't have a hat, you say no prob, we don't have a pen either and make it vanish.

Actually the original joke of "that's how I got it" is much funnier than the one you just posted. No offense !!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
In my humble opinion,

corny jokes and magicians have gone hand in hand for far too long.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Quote:
On 2005-05-14 10:21, Doctor Whoston wrote:
...try something original. Got any suggestions?

No offense, but I thought this was funny.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
LR2
View Profile
Regular user
Humble, Texas
116 Posts

Profile of LR2
I don't like the joke, I don't even know if this would make anyone laugh.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2005-05-14 23:33, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Actually the original joke of "that's how I got it" is much funnier than the one you just posted. No offense !!

My suggestion was not that of a joke.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
My suggestion was to do a little throw away effect.

The joke in question may get a little laugh, but it's mindless.
If all you care about is the response you get, by all means, try it. If you want some substance to go along with your responses, I would say nope on using it.

I feel the throw away item I've recommended (which is not mine and in no way am I suggesting it is) is far better because it get a reaction by doing magic (which is what we want) and it's motivated.
Put it in the hat, you say. Since they don't have a hat, it makes sense that you can't do what you were going to do, so you don't need the pen/marker.
It seems motivated AND impromtu.

I shouldn't have said that the line in question wasn't funny. "Funny" is subjective. I should have said I don't think it is funny.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
The funniest thing about this irritating, crass, immature and arse-clenchingly embarrassing "joke" is how it has already attracted so much discussion in this thread.
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
461 Posts

Profile of martysh
I fondly use the line on occaision because the first time I heard it was at our close up convention in 1977 in Greenville SC when Frank Garcia used it and what a set it was at the time . I remember that moment well after all these years and though I know it is corny I guess it really sends me back to that special moment when I might chance to use it myself.

Marty
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
551 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Here is another line/gag... after a card is signed, pick up the pen and cap and say "and now just to recap" (implying that you are about to verbally describe what has just happened) - but all you do is recap the pen and put it in your pocket.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 21:08, Nick23 wrote:
Here is another line/gag... after a card is signed, pick up the pen and cap and say "and now just to recap" (implying that you are about to verbally describe what has just happened) - but all you do is recap the pen and put it in your pocket.

that, I think, is so much better.

its not rude, its funny, and its sorta cerebral.

Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 21:08, Nick23 wrote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though. That's a good one.
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
People use these kinds of lines because they don't think enough about their performance. They don't attempt to figure out what that joke says about them and their magic. Why do we like to tell jokes that hundreds of other magicians are using and have been using for decades.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of Philippe
That is such a common everyday terrible pitiful gag, that it is to be avoided at all times. However, the pen gag where this line could, maybe, be used, is to have a yard of chain attached to a Sharpie and the other end pinned inside your jacket, then, when ever you are asked "May I borrow your pen" or you say "Use my pen to sign your card" bring out the Sharpie on its length of chain, (the bigger the links the harder it hits). It is then perhaps possibly possible, but only just, to use that terrible line! But works better if nothing is said as everybody knows what you are sayin without you saying it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » That pen joke (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL