We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Your goal on Special occasion shows. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Last week end I did a show for a Mother's day party. It was for a 72 year old mother of 13 kids. A couple of the sons saw me perform somewhere and told their family about me. It turns out there mother loves magic so I was to be a "special gift" to her on mothers day. A couple of the daughters contacted me via Email and told me a lot about their mother and the family. Having read all these stories I realized that I have to put a special effort forward to make this as fun as "They hope it will be."

I'm going to show you the Email they sent me the day after I did the show. I'm not sharing this to get any approval from anyone here. I'm only sharing this in hopes that it'll inspire any of you who are fairly new to magic to do your best to give them what they are booking you to do. Sometimes they want a magician to just be another form of entertainment to pass the time of an event. Other times you are there as a sort of gift to the guest of honor. When you are a gift it's very important to give that person the best time you can give them. So let me show you this Email and then I want to point out a few things in it.

Quote:
Ron Jaxon, "YOU ARE AMAZING!!" I want to "Thank You"
so much for such a thrilling magic show that you
Performed for my family on Mother's Day! EVERYONE had
such a wonderful time and the kids are now performing
Magic in their own homes! I had so many phone calls
from different members of the gang telling how much
Fun they had and I totally agree. You are not only
blessed with such amazing talent but you are also so
"Funny!" I kept looking through the crowd and watching
Everyone's faces and they were always laughing. My Mom
can not stop thanking me for getting a hold of you and
Scheduling the show for yesterday. She was so
exhausted from the thrill of the show that she went
home with such a big smile and went to bed early. You
made her so happy and that's what I wanted. "Thank You
"for doing the special "fire" flower trick for her at
the end. When I asked my Mom what her favorite trick
was she said, "I loved them ALL, he was so
unbelievable!" Thank you for letting us tape your
performance so we could show it to our oldest son who
could not come until later. We are giving the tape to
my Mom because she wants to "Show the World" how
talented you are! You did yourself proud Ron and I
thank you from the bottom of my Mother's day heart!
I'm so proud of you and so glad that we finally got to
meet. I can't "Thank You" enough for giving my Mom such
a thrilling show and a new story for her to tell.
"Thanks You" Ron Jaxon...You are Magic! Much
appreciation..Paula Smith...the one who would NOT stop
hugging you* Take Care*

Now the points I wanted to make are the fact that it was known why I was there. This was a party for there mother so that was the focus of my attention. As a mother of this large family I knew that if her kids and grand kids where having a good time then she would enjoy that too. So my show was for everyone at the party.

Then at the end of the party I did something "Special for their mother," in this case it was Kevin James Floating Rose. Now, I could have just included that trick in the show I did earlier but I saved that and presented it, "Special for the guest of honor." That's a simple technique you can do when you are performing in an even that has a guest of honor.

So I hope this illustrates how much you can effect a group or a person. You're not just there to do tricks for people. You're there to help make the event something to enjoy and remember.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Great post and great moment in magic. I would like to thank you for being a true magician.

Totally understand where you are coming from and that is a hot tip there.
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
Wow. That's some really good feedback. You should be very proud of yourself, Ron.

Thanks for the advice too.
-Jamie
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
As far as I can see, the real "magic" happend after the show with an email..... that's pure magic!!!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
This sounds great, Ron.. can you request a copy of the filming and post it here so we can see it as well. lol or maybe in your website ;-) jk
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Further proof that Ron is a real pro.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks everyone but I hope the reason I posted this has gotten through. With a little effort we really can give people something they'll remember for ever. If you perform for someone's birthday then whenever they remember that age or year they'll think of you and that's a very good thing.

If you've ever performed at a school for kids then you might have received thank you notes from the kids. Sometimes the teachers make this an assignment for then during class. If you ever get these do yourself a favor and keep them. Maybe do like I do and put them in a box somewhere. Believe me they can be very helpful if life ever gets rough. you can go back and read those little cards and remember how you where able to effect someone or at least be remembered by them.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Ron,

Wonderful post and I agree with you! Many times, even at a Children's birthday party I think it's important to include and involve even the adults in the room. It's like giving the adults permission to be kid -like and have fun and they get such a kick out of seeing the children enjoy themselves too. I think it's important to have a show where all can be involved.

The letter you recieved was fantastic and I have no doubt they will talk about your for a long time and what wonderful memories you provided them with.

Chrystal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Your goal on Special occasion shows. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL