The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Michael Close on the Faro Shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
“The absolutely best book on the Faro Shuffle,” Michael Close tells us, “is a little booklet by Ed Marlo titled (well, duh) The Faro Shuffle.” But we know what the chances are to get 50% of new magicians to read, don’t we?

It may even be excusable, when it comes to something such as the Faro Shuffle, to prefer video & audio to print. One doesn’t actually need the creative thinking which reading encourages and which magic needs. No, this shuffle is “merely” a very useful shuffle. If one is doing work with a memorized deck, it’s invaluable.

So we’re grateful for the video clips on this CD! I was finally beginning to get the hang of a tabled Faro Shuffle, using the well-written description in Expert Card Magic. (The world will never fully realize the debts we owe to Hugart & Braue!) There’s something about being able to see precisely the way to hold one’s hands, to watch (over and over) the exact method for convincing the cards to weave perfectly.

Mr. Close does not pull any punches here. The most important piece of advice he offers is “practice, practice, practice.” And I believe him. Forty-five years ago, my pappy tol’ me that there’s nothing you can’t do if you practice enough, and there’s nothing you CAN do if you don’t practice. But of course, it doesn’t help to practice if you don’t know how to do it properly in the first place.

Within ten minutes, I was doing nearly perfect Faro Shuffles. By that, I mean that the bottom two cards didn’t weave, but all others did. And I was doing that well, over an over. Give me another couple of hours, and I’m sure I’ll be doing ‘em perfectly over and over.

Meantime, I decided to take a break and let you know about this very helpful tutorial. It’s $30 and it’s at http://www.michaelclose.com.

And now a whole world of effects with a memorized deck have opened up for me.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Michael Close on the Faro Shuffle (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL