The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Writting a proposal for show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm venturing into new territory and I was wondering if anyone could help. There is a convention coming to town and an organizer contacted me about performing there. He said he wanted a proposal written for the show. What they want is me to "magically" pick and/or announce the winning card for a contest they are having. I have several ideas about how to do it. I was wondering, A) How does one write a proposal. What is included in it? How detailed is it supposed to be? What shouldn't I include? B) Do I pick one idea and propose it or do I give them a few choices? How many choices (I was thinking three). Do I include the prices of each idea or do I just pitch all three with the highest price of the three?
I'm sorry if this question is rather disjointed, I'm just kind of spinning around wondering where to start.
Edd

Update:

I've done some quick reseach (which I should have done before posting) I've answered some of my questions. So, I don't really need a tutorial in writting a business proposal. I just would like any advice on writing a proposal specificly for a magic show. Thanks for reading!
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
A proposal is just a written sales pitch; here are some basics:

Keep relatively short, a page or two at the max

Focus on what the audience will see and experience; avoid any magic jargon

Make sure to use active verbs

Make sure it is meticulously edited, spell checked and printed (writting has one T)

Since they came to you give them plenty of reasons to hire you and NO reasons to reconsider

If you want to present more than one idea, explain why you like each of them. Consider offering several packages: small, medium and large (with appropriate prices)

Make sure to include "benefits" along with your "features" - if this jargon is unfamiliar to you, check out

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,284319,00.html

Thank them for considering using you, tell them you are excited and would love to get their input and improvements on any of your idea.

Have someone you trust read it over before you submit it.

Remember who gave you such good advice and reward him when you land the gig.

All the best

Peter Gross
http://www.funnymagic.com
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Thanks Peter, if I land the gig, I will send you a free ticket. It's not good for anything but its free! Just kidding. Thanks for the info.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Peter is absolutely right. Follow all of that advice and just be as clear as you can about what you want to do, what it will require, what it will cost and why its a value to the buyer at the cost you state. If you get good at this you will find many opportunities for someone who knows how to write/create proposals. Good luck!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Writting a proposal for show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL