We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Business card how presented? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Quote:
On 2005-05-16 10:29, Michael Baker wrote:
My opinion: If a business card trick can become part of the routine, almost anything goes. If ASKED for a business card, quicker is better. It shows them you know when to get off stage and get serious about business. This does matter to many business people.

~michael

Michael,
I think that you are half correct here, when asked directly for a card one should be provided in a quick and professional manner. But with that said I do not see any problem with creating a routine around your card that puts your card in the hands of a potential customer. I have created a semi unique routine that involves my business card as the medium for the magic to happen that puts my cards in the hands of the audience without looking like I am just handing out cards. Once I do the effect for one person at an event it never fails that I am asked for my card by everyone else who has witnessed the effect because they want to have a piece of the magic as well.

So while I think that you are correct when saying that when asked for a card it is time to get serious, I also think that with some creativity you can create an effect that will cause people to ask you for your card.

Regarding my business card effect I can say this; outside of all of my other marketing work that I do it is the number one thing that gets me booked for repeat or spin off business.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-16 16:28, pikacrd wrote:

Michael,

I think that you are half correct here, when asked directly for a card one should be provided in a quick and professional manner. But with that said I do not see any problem with creating a routine around your card that puts your card in the hands of a potential customer.

Kris

Howdy Kris!

Reread the first sentence of my post. That is pretty much what I said. I was assuming that if a business card was used in a routine, that it would be left with the spectator (Why else would we have used it?).

If doing that trick prompts others to ask for a card, that is ideal! This may or may not mean that they want to see the same, or any other trick. Either outcome is ok however, as it puts the card in their hands.

My point was that if asked for a card, MANY times it is after you are finished, or the spectator ASSUMES you are finished. This is the time to get them a card, and not the time to launch into another trick.

The point is: There is a time to stop selling and start putting ink on the deal.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Quote:
On 2005-05-16 17:13, Michael Baker wrote:

My point was that if asked for a card, MANY times it is after you are finished, or the spectator ASSUMES you are finished. This is the time to get them a card, and not the time to launch into another trick.

The point is: There is a time to stop selling and start putting ink on the deal.

I could not agree with you more regarding you point that there is a time to stop selling. As a matter of fact I have watched people talk themselves out of a deal because they could not shut up.

I do not think that doing a quick rising business card effect or some simple production of your card is a bad idea, as long as it is quick and to the point of getting the card in the persons hand even after the spectator has seen you do 20 min of magic. The real trick is doing it in a manner in which you do not come off as a fruit cake or in a manner that makes you look silly.

Thanks for the responce.
Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Mike Close's Pot Hole, absolutely. Have not tried the following, but how about the recent effect 'TAG'?
mitch durbank
View Profile
New user
holland
7 Posts

Profile of mitch durbank
Thank you for your fine reactions. I have a lot of ideas now.

thanks.

mitch
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Spellbound effect is the one I use - Why? Displaying a business card in this manner is absolutely normal! (My cards also have printed text on reverse and are laminated so other ideas are ruled out)

Setup - One card with a punched hole on top of pile with a good card in opposite pocket...
Show card with hole in it in spellbound display (perfect as cards are often displayed like this in the hand!) - with packet resting on palm - show/point out hole in card. Perform spellbound move and hand out...

Simple is simple does, fast and effective.

If you want to extend it - start with a band in the hole! Apologize for the state of the card and visually remove the band - CMH - then put band in pocket and visually remove the hole - spellbound - a neat mini routine Smile (Easy for me as laminated - if not, get those hole reinforcers from a stationers and stick one on each side of hole - and if you want to get clever - and these reinforcers are cheap - stick them on all your cards so the hole disappearing is stronger).
catch you later

Clarioneer
MagicianSilver
View Profile
New user
Lynden, Washington
50 Posts

Profile of MagicianSilver
Hi everyody. This is my first post! The way I present my business card is I just use a backpalm production. And Ellusionist has a video called How To Do Street Magic which has a trick called Print. It's pretty good.

-Sterling
"If you're not living on the edge. Then you are taking up too much space.
www.MagicSterling.com
magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
I use John Cornelius's Thought Transmitter. I write the prediction on the back of my business card and hand it out. BTW my business cards are printed on the back and laminated, I got around this by sticking mini Post-it notes on the back of the cards I use for this effect.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
You could have you breast pocket loaded with business cards, and set up to do a rising business card effect. That way when they ask you...you would gesture towards your pocket and your business card would rise up out of your pocket to your waiting fingers. It would look smooth, only take a sec and you would NOT even present it as a magic effect. It would be secondary, you were just getting a card for them. Then you thank them and walk away as if nothing happened.

Corey
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There an effect in Kaufmann's 'The Collected Almanac' called 'Fasten-ation'(?) by J.K. Hartman.
It uses a deck, stapler and Mini-deck.
Instead of the mini-deck, a stack of biz cards could be used for the effect.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Bill Simon's Business Card Prophesy
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
In response to one of the first posts about the Michael Ammar business card miracles DVD.

I think Michael Ammar is one of the best teachers. And many of his DVDs are great.

I would not recommend his business card DVD. It just has some basic card tricks like the haunted pack, rising card(with pinky), and a few others. Basically it's basic card tricks with business cards.

I nice way to hand out a card is to do the false turnover on the blank side and then print it with the Vernon thru the fist flourish.

Another nice trick with a business card are Nathan Kranzo's finesse/vanish reproduction.

Just my two cents.
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
I use the "print" method, by the paddling sleight. (Is it called "Olram move"?)

In MWCCIM, there has another version of the "print" method, using 3 cards.

They're very basic and simple, but the effect is good, at least for the laymen.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Have you tried Michael Close's The Pothole Trick ? A hole travels from one business card to another. Great business card handout!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
There are many good methods of getting your business card into the hands of the spectator.

But, if you are really serious about selling yourself and your act when they ask about it, then you'll get THEIR card.

They MAY call you, but you WILL call them.

Good as the methods of getting your card into their hands may be, nothing -- absolutely nothing -- beats getting their card into your hands.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
I'm still a big fan of Hot Leads.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The best method of getting your business card into the hands of the spectator is to do a great show. Many of the routines claim that if you do something magical with the card someone will be more likely to keep it. Mind you no proof of such claims exists, but again they are made. If you think that a business man who runs a multi-million dollar company is going to keep your card in a special place just because you poked a hole in it and he didn't see you, think again.

Getting their card as mentioned above is actually BETTER than them getting your card. YOU are in control then. You start a mailing list and work it. Peter I must say this is BRILLIANT and worth a thousand times any trick on the market for getting your card into their hands, BRAVO!!

A business man will respect you for the move also.

Good Luck

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Quote:
...Mind you no proof of such claims exists, but again they are made. If you think that a business man who runs a multi-million dollar company is going to keep your card
Unfortunately, this thread duplicates at least one (likely many...) other thread here in the Café. In that thread I gave proof that it DOES work. I work at a restaurant every Wednesday night, and a guest who periodically hits the bar area (where I do not even perform) came up to me and chatted a while. He later showed me a business card that was given to him by a magician years before. He carries it in his wallet!

In my own experience with my cards, a few months back, I was leaving somewhere after having eaten, and a pair of gentlemen stopped me. They noted that I was walking towards the car with my web site URL on the side window, so they asked if that was me. We talked a bit, and then the time came to hand them each my card, which has one of the silliest bits of business on it around, but... it is EFFECTIVE! When I handed it to one of the guys, whom I had NEVER met before, he told me that he had seen my card before, as some relatives have come to my (other) restaurant on occasion, and they showed him the puzzle/card that they took home. Even IF that had never happened, I have literally had an entire section of a restaurant talking about that stupid little gold mine on many occasions! I can tell by the MANY hits on the puzzle answer page that it IS working.

Getting their card is great, but be clear that you are getting it for contacting them later, and not just under the guise of completing a trick, or you could end up $11,000 poorer if you call them!

Need more?

JM Smile Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who said business cards didn't work? I don't think anyone did. They do. I have had people come up to me year after year to see me with the cards I have produced from matchbooks, as well as business cards. For 10 years running. Business cards work.

The question was does doing something magical with it make it so someone keeps it? Our claim was there is no proof for such a claim, and you provided none. Just doing your act the way you did made the impression, not the card. As a professional performer you impressed someone enough to talk about you! That is great.

The real question is how much money is gained vs how much not found because of it and indeed there is NO way to prove it.

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
I'm sorry Danny,

I guess I was not clear... they were not only talking about me, but they also showed him my card with the bit of business on it, and THAT is what made someone who had not even been there recall the card. By the way, he made note of having previously seen the card before seeing the well-designed front**, because I was doing the same bit of business for them, and he recognized that. I also have new guests (to me) comment about what I do with the card quite often. Why, because their friends showed them the card!

**(MONDO PLUG for Kyle - Magic4u02 I get praise for my card all time, both for his artistry, and my bit of business. The people who comment on my card the most are business people who understand how it causes people to keep it, and to visit my web site, too. I have also had designers and printers give the card high marks for how it looks, and works. Even the lady who would have gotten the job to design my card had Kyle not done them, and she knows this, loves them! She understands why I chose Kyle... He knows what I need as an entertainer.)

The people who talk from table to table (strangers) at my restaurant mention being impressed with what I did at their table, but what got them talking in the first place was the card.

Same thing with the other magician's card; the guy talked about the guy's magic, but what made him carry the card was what he did with the card! He not only carries the card, years later, but he even shows it to strangers. (The way I dress to work, they don't come much stranger.)

You also provide your own proof:
Quote:
"I have had people come up to me year after year to see me with the cards I have produced from matchbooks, as well as business cards."
Why do you think they carry the card your produced from the matchbook? The magic! By extension, if you were to produce your own business card from a matchbook, or do something equally impressive, it would always be your business card they would carry, instead of the Queen of diamonds with his/her signature. Sure, it's great that they still carry the queen, but your card would be better, right?

My only point is that I have proof that doing something magical/special with your card will cause folks to keep them, and some will carry them. That was what you asked for. I don't say that getting their card isn't good; it is, and I do it! BUT, I also cautioned folks that they need to be careful how they got the card, and what they do with it. The Do Not Call List can cost you a lot of cash if you call them at home, or on their cell without getting their permission. (Peter was preaching, wisely, about calling them. Also, not all cards come with addresses on them. People with home offices are not always eager to give that information out to everyone who has their card. The mailing list idea won't work for them, unless you also ask for that information.) So, when you ask for their card, which is a GREAT thing to do, tell them that you will be calling them! OK, I had two points.

If you want them to talk about you, and maybe even show your card to their friends, who can then get your info from your card, do something special with your card. Their friends won't call you if you only have their card. Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Business card how presented? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL