The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Looking for close up, hard hitting, ungimmicked jaw dropping magic with either cards or coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Ok. so I went performing today and learned several things, 1. I carry to many gimmicks 2. I got the best reactions from things that got the spectator involved and 3. scripting is the beset thing I have done to my routines. now. back to number 1. I am carrying to many gimmicks. all I want to carry is say a deck of cards in one pocket, some coins in the other, and a gimmick (probably spongeballs) in my jacket, but still be able to drop peoples jaws. can anyone reccomend a BOOK on close up hard hitting jaw dropping magic, that is visual, and gets the spectators involved using only a deck of cards.

now can sombody do the same for coins, but this time, list a video (i learn poorly from books on coins, trying to decipher bobos was a headeache)

now a video on cards.

I really don't want a one trick wonder or packet effect. I am looking for stuff that will allow me to expand and set new routines. all visual hard hitting and ungimmicked. I am in theory quitting gimmicked effects.

oh and, I don't want to spend a fortune

(up to 100 dollars is fine)
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd try Jay Sankey' Rev. Coin Magic. In this dvd, Jay teaches a lot of excellent coin sleight techniques that do not involve gaffed coins. The results are some beautiful coin works/effects that are really hard hitting.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of ashah
On the Spot by Gregory Wilson has a couple of things that can be done with regular coins, as well as some stuff that use a spectator's ring, a pen, napkins, etc. It's great.
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Greg's latest DVDs
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Do you mean the sleight of dave videos, or magic farm, or somthing I don't know about...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10800 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
First of all sponge balls are not a gimmick, they reqiure skill as with all magic gimmicked or not..
Getting a video or book does not make one a slight of hand artist this takes time and years . my suggestion get good teacher this will advance you faster ..
I hope this helps.......
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Sorry. I'm may not know the deffinition of gimmck but what I really meant was I was carrying to many props. I do realise buying a magic book or video doesent make you a sleight of hand artist, nut I'm not as new as you think. check out my introduction thread, ive been doing magic inconsistantley for over three years. but got serious again in the past four months, and inconsistantley dosent mean a small magic kit, it means bobos, royal road, expert card technique, and expert at the card table. now I found it very difficult to learn from these books and have been using them frequently as reference sources. I am looking for some new magic to add to my current routines, that has to be close up and visual. any suggestions
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
For books, I recommend Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy and Michael Ammar's book. Get both of them and you will be set for a long time.

By the way, if you've only been performing magic for 3 years inconsistantley, I would still consider you new.
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Awsome. I will check all of this stuff. I was really trying to get the point across that I hadnt been doing magic for a week.anyway thanks for your help
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Well then, you are in luck because their are more books and vids devoted to cards and coins than anything else. Real problems arise when you try to find GOOD stage or childrens magic.----------------cheers!----Jimeuax
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Routined Manipulation I, II, and Finale
The Magic of LePaul
Stars of Magic

Buy all of the above for about $50 and you'll be set.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Off The Cuff, ON The Spot - Gregory Wilson

Cultural xChange 1 & 2 - Apollo an Shoot

POS series.

Knock Em Dead & Twists of Fate - R. Paul Wilson

there are a dozen gems out there. Try using the Café's search function.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2222 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Miracle While You Wait by Mark Jenest is and awesome dvd with KILLER material on it!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
On the Spot, Off the Cuff, and Gregory Wilson in ACTION!
In love with magic!
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Agreed, Miracles while you wait by Mark Jenest...

Jay Sankey's Boris Pocus has some very nice stuff in it as well....

I reckon the Jay Sankey Best of series and Bill Malone on the Loose series all have very strong routines
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Looking for close up, hard hitting, ungimmicked jaw dropping magic with either cards or coins (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL