The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Printing Custom Playing Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
This probably should be in the card section but I chose to post it here because it deals with gospel magic. The Lord had blessed me with a routine that has been received well of late. I have made some playing cards up as a prototype and have been using them to do a test market of this trick. I would love to get some quality cards printed to use. Does anyone know of a place that will custom print the faces of cards? If so can you send them the b***k faced cards and have them print them?

I know this can be done I am just not sure how.
Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jim
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
There a are a couple of problems with trying to get someone to print on blank bicycle cards. One problem, is that most printers want to do volume printing. If the lot is too small, you end up paying a lot on an average for each of them, becuase it take the same amount of setup to do 100 as 10,000.

Another is that cards are small, and most printers don't want to mess with something that small. They like to run large format printing, and then cut to size.

Another problem is that the surface on a blank bicyle card does not take just any ink. Years ago, I was involved in creating gaffed cards a couple of different effects, and we used a variety of inks using both offset, and letterpress approaches, and most of the inks scraped right off. Coincidently, I recently ran across a couple of the original samples we ran, and even after sitting on there for nearly 20 years, the ink would scratch very easily.

So here is an alternative thoughtor two, try Laser printing (if you can find one that will feed something as small as the cards, or you can mount the cards on a carrier sheet.) And/or screenprint the cards, and then seal the cards with a sealer spray.

Or since the technology has moved forward in the past 20 years, if you find a small local printer who have been around for a while and you can get them interested in helping you out, I got a lot of full color 8 1/2 sheets and a couple of 2 X 3 foot ones done by a local Chrisitan Print Shop who wouldnt take payment as they saw that it was for a Christian event, and looked at it as a contribution to ministry (Probably not one of the newer quick print folks for what you want, because they are pretty much set up for the common stuff, but they might be able to tel you who can do it.) and if they can handle it, you can get them printed there. But ask their advice on the Ink, and whether or not (and if so what to use) to seal them so the ink is relatively permanent.

Good luck.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
143 Posts

Profile of leonard
Jim,
You might want to search the Café for "The Versatile Monte." It is a DVD, but (if my memory serves me) the threads you find will also mention some "low volume" printers of cards. I have watched the DVD, but have not tried any printing yet.
leonard
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I recall a Magic Mag review by Michael Close of a book teaching how to print cards on a computer printer. Last year or two.
Frank
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I am sure that you can use a Computer and a Printer.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Hi Jim,
I do it all the time with a computer and a printer (ink jet and laser). The first thing you need to do is remove the finish from the card with acetone. Then print the card . Let it dry and then re-apply the finish with Krylon's Workable Fixatif spray.
Hope this helps.

Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
luismagic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of luismagic
Cards by Martin. http://www.cardsbymartin.com. Neil Lester has been making small sets of custom cards for years.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
If I remember correctly, Aldo Colombini pays the Bicycle company to custom print front and backs of cards for the tricks that he markets. It will cost a bit, but at least you will have good quality cards.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Printing Custom Playing Cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL