The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sucker silk to egg questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1669 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 20:29, KenW wrote:
Just wanted to say THANKS guys for reminding me about this little effect. I did a show today at a country club for one-hundred fifty seniors. ALL LADIES. Believe it or not Silk to Egg was one of the effects most commented about. I almost forgot about Silk to Egg and haven't performed it in a very long time but decided to put it into today's show only last night. With today's success, it'll stay in the show from now on.

(Sometimes good magic gets passed by. Sometimes it takes a reminder or two to give them another try). Thanks for reminding me!

Signed,
A very happy magician

Ken-

I was in a similar circumstance a couple of years ago-

I performed Sik to egg in a cabaret show about 200 people-more to just fill in time!

Wow! - The reaction really hit me - It was very strong from the audience.

Boy - Did I take note of what the audience liked-It is now used in every show. I do from 25 people to school promos for our evening shows with 400 people. -always a strong reaction & comment! And as mentioned in my above post I might try and finish a show with this effect after the Final Illusion as a talking piece.

I have a funny feeling this will play even stronger as a finale.

Good luck & well done on introducing this in your act & using this in upcoming shows. It's a classic.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13366 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just purchased a couple Eggs-actly eggs for this. The medium egg is supposed to hold a 24" silk.

I have not received them.

I'm getting 2 eggs for the eggbag routine and I'm getting 2 eggs for this routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Has anyone ever done this on TV?

How does it play on TV?

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I got the Viking resin egg and it is just like the add said -- "It'll fool a chicken."

I used to watch my father perform this effect at his stage and parlor shows. It always went over incredibly well. You could always hear the audience express surprize when the egg was poured into the bowl. And, the more bumbling he appeared, the better the trick's results.

One thing he did was to cut a small amount from a silk, pucker it somewhat, and attach this to strong double-sided tape for the "dot." I've never seen anyone else do this and I have never read it anywhere (but I am admittedly not well-read), but it really looks like the silk is still in the egg. As an added benefit, you have more choice of colors with this method.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a link to Whit Haydn's routine, called the Red Silk Mystery. BTW, he uses this as an opener:

http://www.whithaydn.com/video_clips.htm
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Been using the piece of silk w/sticky tac on the real egg for my S.T.O routine for many years now. MMMMM...thought I was the only one doing this.
LOL NOTHING IS NEW!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 12:48, KenW wrote:
Been using the piece of silk w/sticky tac on the real egg for my S.T.O routine for many years now. MMMMM...thought I was the only one doing this.
LOL NOTHING IS NEW!

See? You're getting smarter already. This is a fact of life in many fields and especially entertainment. I'm sixty. And I'm discovering old stuff everyday. It's wonderful! Enjoy it and recognize that you are right on track.

Today I had a courthouse clerk explain some law to me. Unfortunately it was from a book I wrote 14 years ago. And she still has it wrong. You do not have to be able to drive to own a car. How hard is that? She still hasn't caught it! A blind man can own his car. He just can't drive it. (Some do!)

Silk in egg is a great trick. Even if you are original like everyone else!

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I was watching some old video performances and came across Mark Wilson's performance of this effect in his 1971 Magic Circus show. He opened with this and had everyone suckered into thinking they knew what was going on until the end. I had seen a re-run of the same show some twenty years ago and he fooled us all.

He was the first I saw perform this beauty.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In doing this trick three times in the same day, I have even had audiences think it was a different trick because the colors of the silks changed! (Wait until you see it in purple. That makes red look easy, right?)

The customer is always right! (And I am very grateful for that!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 09:18, Gary Dayton wrote:
I got the Viking resin egg and it is just like the add said -- "It'll fool a chicken."

I got the Viking resin egg too and I find it very realistic. (Once fooled my grandmother when I left it in the kitchen after practicing.)

Quote:
On 2005-11-08 09:18, Gary Dayton wrote:

One thing he did was to cut a small amount from a silk, pucker it somewhat, and attach this to strong double-sided tape for the "dot." I've never seen anyone else do this and I have never read it anywhere ...

If you got the deluxe silk to egg from Viking Magic it comes with the "dot" which is exactly as you describe it.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
As the person who first started this thread, I would just like to say thanks for the great response!

I love this effect! I have done it a lot since posting this thread and I am getting a great reaction with it all the time!!! I am using it as my second trick in my stand up show and introduce it as the trick I saw and fell in love with magic.

This trick has laughs and amazement and gets a great round of applause!

Although I use a different method, Whit Haydn's video clip was also a great inspiration, thanks Whit!

Can't beat the classics!
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
I use the silk to egg as my opener. It plays big! I have a real egg and the fake in my left coat pocket, silk in my right. I start telling people how I'm going to teach a trick to them. I go through my patter and routine, then when I reveal the egg as being real, by breaking it, into a glass. people go nuts ,the crowd erupts with a hugh applause. Remember it's how you routine it.

And knock on wood. I've never had a egg break on me yet. And I have done hundreds of shows with this as my opener, I try to handle the eggs that I'm using to make sure that they are going to hold up. It seems to work for me. Lots of luck to you!
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
TOM WIESE
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of TOM WIESE
I can't say how much I love this effect, not to mention that this routine just kills them every time. I'm a close-up worker and have perform silk to egg hundreds of times. It never fails to get just about the best response from my spectators as anything else I might do. I perform this on a walk-a-round basis with no problems. I might mention that I have a close friend who is a dentist and he made me several eggs of various sizes. Depending where I might be at any given time and what eggs are available in the local area I'm performing in, I have gaffed eggs of several sizes that will match real eggs. In my formal close-up show, I usually open with my Chop Cup routine, which I call an "Observation Test". I explain that this test was designed by magicians for magicians and will tell me exactly how close you are watching me. I then explain to specs I know now how close they are watching me and continue on with the silk to egg routine. It goes over very well.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Tom,
That sounds like a great routine. I love it when one routine flows into another. What did the dentist make the eggs out of?

Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

Dental labs can make you an egg from silver under porcelain. However, I think that you have seen and used both my regular ceramic Sucker Silk to Egg and the Walk-Around Version of Silk to Egg. Both are available in white or brown eggs. We sell them to the pros all over the world and the are considerably cheaper.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sucker silk to egg questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL