The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Thick watch bands 'suck'!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Ok, for the folks here who do pickpocketing:

Does anyone else have a major issue with very thick buckle bands? I'm talking about the rubbery ones that don't slide well and the very heavy plastic bands that are so hard to bend with one hand...

I'm still rather new to pickpocket work (about a year now) but I find these types of bands to be my nemesis.

Does anyone have suggestions (other than looking for other watches to take?) Smile
Logic Defied
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Alym,

Under what conditions are you attempting to take the watch? In other words are you doing it as you walk someone up to the stage or are you taking it off with the shaking of the hands method?

If you can provide some insight to how you are attempting to take the watch I may be able to offer you some advice.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I was using a coin transpo in the hand ruse for a one handed steal; problem is that I can't buckle the band with one hand because it's so thick...
Logic Defied
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
PM me.

I think I may have the answer that you are looking for.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
trevcmagicman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of trevcmagicman
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. They are so thick they have no flexibility at all so I always have to look around for the perfect wristband. It has always been a problem so I don't do watch steals much anymore.
The magic of Trevor Crandall and Luke Vlassis. The magic men of Nipomo, California.
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Yes, the diving type watches are very thick, but often easier to steal than a normal leather band. Here is my method.

Use your standard spongeball or coin routine, and have the spectator place their hands palm up instead of palm down when doing the move. You then place your hand with your palms up, grabbing the back of their wrist, and you use your THUMB to dig into the buckle and realease/steal the watch. It is very easy, and don't be afraid that they will see you stealing it. I have never been caught, even if they look straight down at their hands they don't notice.

Good luck.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Alym- With the thick rubber bands, try using a two handed technique (One hand holds the watch steady, the othe does the dirty work)

I'm curious if anyone has had problems with the new plastic bands with the thicker end so it doesn't slip through the safety.

At first they posed a problem, but playing with them a bit, I've found with a bit of extra work they come riht off
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Hits and misses for me sometimes.
I can take them off with ease, then the next time I'm stuck.

I don't have problems with THICK bands, but the HARD rubber ones.. I feel you.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Ya they're really hard.
I'm getting better but they always prove to be a significant challenge. I also don't like the ones where there's a notch on the strap (it's a rubber strap) that locks into the keeper of the band...those are really hard.

The other really nasty ones are the leather band type watches that actually are over the wrist rolex watches in disguise - I ran into one of those, I had started the steal, and realized after the fact that it was an over the wrist type watch, I literally switched methods on the spot and went for the steal anyway (it was funny for me but sadly there was no one I could even tell about how hard that was).
Logic Defied
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
People I hate for watch steals are the people who NEVER take their watch off. I mean they sleep with it on, shower with it on, etc... Its like these things kind of grip to the skin, its kind of gross to move them.

Anyone run into this?
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Like when their wrist is green when when you lift the watch? Yup. You're right, it's really gross! I have an incredible urge to wash my hands after I return the watch.
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 22:52, Alym Amlani wrote:
I was using a coin transpo in the hand ruse for a one handed steal; problem is that I can't buckle the band with one hand because it's so thick...

I actually prefer this because it gives you more time. (heh.. time..... I made it funny)

really though... With a handshake, I meet very few people who do a two handed handshake or a one-handed shake on my wrist. doing a transpo like that gives a reason to touch them.
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Thick watch bands 'suck'!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL