The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Magic Mints (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
With 50 plus years in magic, and having thousands of tricks over the years. I believe this trick to be one of the worst from a magic effect standpoint. The fact that you have to completely cover the gimmicked mint is the problem. This is the same problem with the Himber Linking Finger Rings. Being the link is "not in the open" like the famous Chinese Linking Steel Rings, this causes the idea, as mentioned above, that there is a "trick" of sorts to it. So they will never be totally convinced that the impossible just happened.

Even the Japanese magician Cyril Takayama used a stooge to get the point across on one of his television shows. He actually handed the Linked Mints to a girl to look at. Now if you can do that, you may have something.

Magic Makers sells the trick only with basic instructions, that suffer greatly. I cannot believe anyone would attempt to do the effect from those printed instructions.

At least Penguin Magic is making an attempt to give adequate instructions for the trick. The trick is bad, very bad, and I think it is best to be left alone for what it is, that is something to be given away free with an order.

You know the trick is suffering from poor logic, that is why you are here on the Café wanting to justify why it is a good effect, and if anyone has solved the problems it suffers from.

I do not agree that we need effects like this, but I do use strong effects that are fillers that stun an audience.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You don't need to hide anything with our AmaZering, linking finger ring from Joe Porper.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 16:32, Bill Hegbli wrote:
With 50 plus years in magic, and having thousands of tricks over the years. I believe this trick to be one of the worst from a magic effect standpoint. The fact that you have to completely cover the gimmicked mint is the problem. This is the same problem with the Himber Linking Finger Rings. Being the link is "not in the open" like the famous Chinese Linking Steel Rings, this causes the idea, as mentioned above, that there is a "trick" of sorts to it. So they will never be totally convinced that the impossible just happened.

Even the Japanese magician Cyril Takayama used a stooge to get the point across on one of his television shows. He actually handed the Linked Mints to a girl to look at. Now if you can do that, you may have something.

Magic Makers sells the trick only with basic instructions, that suffer greatly. I cannot believe anyone would attempt to do the effect from those printed instructions.

At least Penguin Magic is making an attempt to give adequate instructions for the trick. The trick is bad, very bad, and I think it is best to be left alone for what it is, that is something to be given away free with an order.

You know the trick is suffering from poor logic, that is why you are here on the Café wanting to justify why it is a good effect, and if anyone has solved the problems it suffers from.

I do not agree that we need effects like this, but I do use strong effects that are fillers that stun an audience.

lol You guys are hilarious! I know it's not going to win any awards okay. Just saying I get good reactions from kids and if I can make people smile then yes, I will promote it regardless of where it originated. Are you guys police officers? Investigators? Becasue this is a magicians forums where nothing is objective and everything is subjective. So allow me to have my subjective opinion please. It's a cute little fly by trick that works for me, regardless of what man came up with it in the mid 1900's or whatever. Yes, if it was my effect stolen I may have a different opinion and pursue it legally but this isn't the case, so why am I not allowed to enjoy/discuss my experiences with the effect? Sounds liek a bunch of grumpy magicians in these rooms lately.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 15:11, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 12:23, TheMag1cian wrote:
Can anybody comment on performances and discuss the function/details/ideas regarding the product instead of where it originated and who deserves credit? I mean .. continue your discussion if you want .. I just come here for tips and thoughts about how to improve performances and thoroughly enjoy sifting through the various routines.

If you happen to come up with your own effect put it on the market and have it stolen by M.M. or another company you may have a change of heart and sing a different tune. Knowing where effects came from and who had what first is important. You may hide your head in the sand if you wish but it doesn't help your growth in magic at all.

Wow! Not hiding my head in any sand! No I didn't do hours of research but c'mon really? Sorry to the creator if it was stolen but Im having fun with it so I hope no hard feelings with the original creator that I picked this up. I think I'll go to another topic room now as this just isn't whatI was here for. Thanks for the delightful, stimulating and ever so intriguing conversation guys!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 08:14, TheMag1cian wrote:

Wow! Not hiding my head in any sand! No I didn't do hours of research but c'mon really? Sorry to the creator if it was stolen but Im having fun with it so I hope no hard feelings with the original creator that I picked this up. I think I'll go to another topic room now as this just isn't whatI was here for. Thanks for the delightful, stimulating and ever so intriguing conversation guys!

To anyone new to magic who's visiting here: That's a deplorable attitude he's advocating. Don't go down that path. Maintain a higher level of ethics than this person.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, here is the most logical reason why Penguin sells Linking Mints. It is made by the Rip Off kings in magic. Magic Makers, they wholesale it to magic dealers for pennies. No real routine is provided, anyway the previous packaging version did not come with any kind of routine.

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/p-78-linking-mints.aspx

I see they have new packaging, so hopefully they have thought of a routine and handling for the props. So if Penguin, Oz Pearlmen, or any of the others created a decent handling, it is their trick. As no handling comes from Magic Methods.

So Penguin did or has not ripped anyone off. They only buy the item wholesaled to them. I consider $4.95 to much for these props as not routine comes with them, and with no routine, there is not trick.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
This is the exact routine I use for mints and floss. Justin Flome on Ellen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdshxjIohg
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
I thought things were cool with Penguin now. Are they still selling this effect in a dubious manner or not? Does anybody know what they currently say for themselves about this? 'Cause they're hawking them front and center today.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
(((crickets)))

I've noticed I've been getting no responses to my last many posts. Is this thing on? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Magic Mints (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL