The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Gimmick a match (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FrankStone
View Profile
New user
South Africa/Taiwan
74 Posts

Profile of FrankStone
I am currently working on a new Bizarre routine, and in it I need a match that won't light up when struck.

Is there any way to gimmick a match so that it won't light?
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
Varnish the head with matte varnish ?
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Try wetting a match and then letting it dry out. I haven't tried it but I remember those scout camps with the 'old' matches that had gotten damp and dried and they wouldn't light.

cheers
Maynooth
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I know how to pull a burnt match from a pile of them in an ashtray and then light it. If this helps, PM me. Smile
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Letting the match soak in water and then drying it out works, but for only some types of matches. You'll have to pick and choose.

Adding a thin layer of superglue over the tip will also work...

Johnny B Smile
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi,
Instead of a varnish try "waterglass" and dip the matches in this liquid. You can get the stuff at you local pharmacist.
This liquid was used to preserve eggs during the middle of the last century. Before you apply the stuff, it has to be diluted in a little bit of water.

Will Dexter described in one of his books a wonderful PK-trick with matches. I will browst through my books to find it. To prepare the matches for the trick, he used waterglass as well!

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Codex Reader
View Profile
New user
TX
69 Posts

Profile of Codex Reader
Dip the head of a match into a solution of ... When struck, they will sputter, but won't light.

Modern Chemical Magic by John Lippy Jr. Page 161
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Light the match, blow it out immediately, paint it to look like an unstruck match.
That baby ain't lightin' again without major help.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
MagicalDesignPro
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of MagicalDesignPro
Ted,

I'd love to know more about Will Dexter's PK Match routine. THANKS!
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
The routine with the PK matches by Will Dexter you`ll find in the book "A little Magic amongst Friends" and as far as I know, the book is still available at "Magic Books By Post". I am not sure about it, because I lent my copies of the tree Dexter books to a friend. But you should have the books anyway, if you are interested in good magic and mentalism.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
Why not gimiick the striker strip on the box instead of gimmmicking a motch or two? A light lacquering or rubbing two strips against each other would do. The latter would still leave the abrasive somewhat present so specs wouldn;t be noticing how shiny the strip is if you had lacquered it. Also, by gimmicking the strip you can use as many matches as you want- even borrowed matches. Heck, you could even have someone use 'strike-anywheres' until their fingernails bleed!
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Dip the match head in liquid sodium silicate and let it dry. This is the classic method and works perfectly.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Quote:
On 2002-11-19 22:35, nostromo wrote:
Why not gimiick the striker strip on the box instead of gimmmicking a motch or two? A light lacquering or rubbing two strips against each other would do. The latter would still leave the abrasive somewhat present so specs wouldn;t be noticing how shiny the strip is if you had lacquered it. Also, by gimmicking the strip you can use as many matches as you want- even borrowed matches. Heck, you could even have someone use 'strike-anywheres' until their fingernails bleed!

I like your idea Nostromo. Moreover I can had a little tip :

Smile Smile Smile

On a box of matches we often have 2 striker strips. So you can gimmick only one of the 2 strips.
And then you give the box to the spect naturally but with the gimmicked strip face up. You "enchant" the match and then the spect try to light the match... but he can't.

You take the box as you ask him to give the match to another spect. You give the box to this spect but with the ungimmicked strip face up (simply reverse the box as you ask the 1st spect to give the match and the box remains in full view, no suspicious moves).

You "unenchant" the match (note that you never touch the match) : And the other spect succed in lighting the match.

Smile Smile Smile

This effect seems good.

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
I wonder if NEW SKIN would do the same thing as clear varnish or clear nail polish?
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Gimmick a match (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL