The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Instant Dove (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of thegreatgeorgio
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have or recommend this http://www.magicshopm.com/catalog/INSTADOVE.html ?

There's a video demo on the site.

thanks

George
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello George,

I could not get the demo to play. However, this site did come up otherwise. I have never seen this used on stage nor do I own one. The only part that looks new to me is that he is selling a routine instead of just a prop. The price I saw was $320.

For about thirty years I have been using Chalet props that would make this effect possible. My difference is that I end up with two doves instead of one. One I get from a large aluminum egg (Canada) and the second when I throw the "egg shells" into a Chalet Gloves to Dove. Both props are very standard to the industry and are versatile for uses other ways. Given a choice, Chalet will always be my source of Gloves to Dove. I have two that have bought me a couple Cadillacs.

So in answer to your question, I do not own this specific product. The routine is certainly far from new to me. I performed it on television twenty-six years ago. Personally, I handle the egg in a different way so that I will have the six birds I need at the end of my act. It is a good (elevated) stage trick that does not work as well playing in the flat, although I have used it in nightclub situations with only about a foot of elevation and about 16’ of distance from the first row of tables. It is not a parlor trick.

In terms of the price, I am no help. Look at the price versus the cost of the Chalet Gloves to Dove with added electronic flash and a Eureka table base (stand). The egg part is incidental in costs (about $20). George at Chalet has some rolling table bases that are nice but harder to transport. (The electronic flash is a valuable add-on that I certainly recommend for either setup.)

I don’t recommend this over the Dove in Balloon from Chalet. But I know it’s fun to have lots of “toys”.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I will certainly be checking out the Chalet gloves to dove also.

thanks again

George
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
If the video doesn't work on that site for some you may wish to try having a look on:

http://www.antoncorradin.com

Nick
qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
That dove production looks extremelly visual and is pretty.
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
Looks good. I like it!

J
majura
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of majura
I just bought this and the effect looks great, even close up.

However after about 10 goes the wood started to break away as it is not very strong. It is especially thin at the crucial area of the prop. I am reinforcing mine with thin steel rather than returning it, as the effect is worth it. I was disappointed to also see that the mechanism relies on an elastic band rather than a spring, which reduces the professionalism of the prop, as it may break mid performance. However it is relatively easy to fix. A good spring would last a lifetime. I would have paid extra for a better quality prop. Be that as it may, if you do dove magic, this looks as good in real life as in the video. So buy the trick. Just reinforce it or better still, the makers Anton and Corradin should do it before they sell the next batch and send me a free one for not totally trashing them.

Update: May 30 2005

I just fixed it up with steel pivots-instead of plastic-- and steel springs- instead of rubber bands- and it works perfectly.
Even my 11 yr old son was blown away by the effect-- so it is definitely worth buying-- if you are willing to strengthen it.
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Hi majura,

Is it hard to change the rubber bands into springs and to use steel pivots instead of plastic?
Is it reliable in operation?

thanks

George
majura
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of majura
It's now very reliable and should last a very long time. It's just how a professional prop should be built, right?
It is not hard to change the springs as they have made the lycra removable and they can be put under the same screw the band is under. You must get the right size spring of course.
It is a bit harder to remove the plastic pins, but you will see how to do it when you remove the lycra. Get someone who is handy to have a look. They will work it out in no time and the effect is worth the trouble.
Posted: May 31, 2005 8:49am
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas on how to produce the egg - before you change it to a dove?
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-05-31 08:49, majura wrote:
Any ideas on how to produce the egg-before you change it to a dove?

Yes---get McBride's Magic On Stage volume 2 to learn the egg on fan or egg from glass. You take a rose petal and bounce it on a fan or roll it in an egg and it changes into an egg. Then you switch it.
PM me for details on where to buy the egg and stuff.

thanks

George
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Personally I am not willing to pay for something only to fix it up because of poor engineering. The price already sounds like it should be a quality product.
Just my 2 cents.
Daniel Faith
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Maybe one should send Anton an e-mail suggesting that he should reinforce his product with much sturdier materials than what was previously used. Majura, maybe you should contact Anton and tell him regarding what you did to his product in order to reinforce it.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-03 22:04, brianclementsvatua wrote:
Maybe one should send Anton an e-mail suggesting that he should reinforce his product with much sturdier materials than what was previously used. Majura, maybe you should contact Anton and tell him regarding what you did to his product in order to reinforce it.

I just have done. I will notify you when he replies.

thanks

George
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Majura, Anton released an improved version of this, which do you have? as the improvements may appear on the new one.
Nick
majura
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of majura
What were the improvements.
I have only just bought mine from Taylors Magic shop in Sydney.
So it should be the latest model.
Also it is a bit loud and should be muted with foam or something.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I just got my Instant Dove and I'm impressed. I was holding the table top in my lap and dropped the egg on the table and it just vanished. From that close it looked as though it just vanished.

Posted: Nov 24, 2005 7:32pm
Now that I've had the Instant Dove for a few months I can comment on the overall quality.

The base is poor. It looks homemade. It's useable but flimsey. Unfortunately it is not easily adapted to another base, but eventually I will replace the base.

The illusion is very good. The switch of the egg and the dove happens so fast it still almost fools me.

I mounted my Flash Burst under the fabric at the front of the table and can now make it flash as the egg hits the table. I still think this illusion is worth the price but it can definitely be improved.

Oliver
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Has the instant dove 2005 been improved yet?
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
almazer
View Profile
New user
Athens,Greece
66 Posts

Profile of almazer
I think the trick is worth its money, yet it seems that the quality is not so reliable.
If it`s improved are there any reviews for it?
There will be many ideas on how to produce the egg and how is finnaly apear,
nice combinations I believe that will give the trick a great look!!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This thread points out a very real problem in performing magic. Props really do need to be put into two very different categories.

The first category should be seen more as a supply than as a piece of equipment. These we fully expect to have very limited use and life. Some actually go into the dumpster immediately after making the TV commercial or sales tape. The event is over, they are the wrong color, too expensive to move and store or only good on camera. Even worse are those difficult to set and strike from stage. Money is not the consideration unless it does not produce an economic product to justify it.

The second category of props is made up of true business investments. These should last for thousands of shows. They are extremely road worthy. They make a Rolls Royce look like something for someone with bad credit that really can’t afford one. However, they may not cost anymore than the ones in the “supply” category.

Take a close look at a real pro’s props when you get a chance. They are dinged, scratched and are far from perfect in appearance up close. They ALWAYS work perfectly, look great under lights and are so durable that diamonds are threatened. One that would need adjustment every five years would never qualify.

When I owned American Artists Enterprises (a personal management and booking agency for professional entertainers) spotting a rookie stage act was a piece of cake. The props were not road worthy. There was spending but no investment.

The props should fit your need. There is a difference between investing and spending.

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
I Like The Effect I just Dislike the fact that the table looks homemade and flimsey..

Is this something you think you would get a benefit from if you put it into your show or act?

David
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Instant Dove (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL