The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Han Solo Story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I would suggest Star Wars fans get their hands on Han Solo's books - there are three of them. His story would make a block-buster triology in itself!

As a toddler, he was taken into slavery by pirates. He was forced to beg, and when he got older he was taught to pickpocket. He escapes the slave ship, and becomes a spice smuggler, where he falls in love - the entire love story falls right in place with the orginal movies.

One interesting tid-bit, Han was smuggling spice for Jabba, when Imperial starships came after him - he flew into an astoroid field where he dumped Jabba's cargo, and then came out so he would pass inspection. That is his debt to Jabba. On the day Han meets Luke ... Boba Fett pays Han a visit. Han freaks at his sight, thinking Jabba hired him. That wasn't the case - Jabba actually had no intention of harming his best smuggler, he hired Gretto to scare him. Bobba Fett was there to fullfil a promise he had made to Han's love interest. The way it fits into the movies is a true masterpiece.

He was actually a storm tropper - top of his class. That is why he knew the Imperials would jetson the garbage before they made the jump to hyperspace in ESB. He aquired his wookie when he saw him being abused by imperial guards, wookies were slaves to the Empire. He went AWOL with Chewbaca, saving his life and freeing him - thus the "life debt". He actually didn't want the wookie, "SOLO - what part of SOLO do you not get?" He did his very best to ditch the wookie.

Something you may not know, Han Solo worked as an assistant for a female magician! No joke there. He actually uses the magic skills he learned to win a major battle to save Tatooine from the cluthes of the Empire! Remember when he landed on the cloud city, him and Lando made a reference to that paticular battle - they both flew in it.

One book is about his adventures in the "outer rim" (Yoda makes a reference to this area in ROTS, that is where Obi is sent by Yoda to capture the general). It is there that he gets the Falcon all scouped up - it was the "fastest piece of junk in the galaxy" because he actually flew outside the galaxy to a neighboring galaxy where it was modified by one of the best, he even has to bust the guy out of jail to get it done. Another modification he had made was video cams - with the cockpit on the right side of the ship, the left side was a blind spot. He had cameras installed to fix this.

His book also details the card game Sabbock (sp?) ... this is the game he won the Falcon from Lando in. It is card game, and at any given in point in the game the cards will change into new cards. Thus, you may be sitting there with a winning hand ... and suddenly the cards change and you lose. You can actually find versions of this game online.

His book is a great read for magicians, full of scams and cons and tricks ... a lot of street stuff in there, by street stuff I don't mean street performer - I mean 3-card-monte and shell game style stuff. Highly recommended, I truely hope one day they make a trilogy of his story.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 05:47, JoeJoe wrote:
I would suggest Star Wars fans get their hands on Han Solo's books - there are three of them. His story would make a block-buster triology in itself!

"fastest piece of junk in the galaxy"

Well, now that you told us the story, why read the books? That was good enough for me right there. Smile

Also, I do believe that the Falcon is the "Fastest Hunk of junk in the galaxy"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 05:47, JoeJoe wrote:...He actually uses the...

Actually?

I only have access to the stories via some books that seem to be authorized by George Lucas. Are you suggesting there is a universe where such things happened and that some records and witnesses were brought over to collect these tales?

Nice.

Very Borges. Have you read the story "Uqbar, Tlon..." ?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Solo was a 'Trooper'? Troopers were Clones of Jango Fett...but they ran out of them and started to recruit others? What's that story?

Does it tell what happened to all the memories? Obi Wan and C3PO and R2 etc?

Those are the blanks I'd like filled in.

Thanks for the story...Jordini is right...you did so good I don't have to read them.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Sabbock (sp?)"

Sabacc.

In any case, all of the material outside of the actual films is considered non-canon.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 14:39, Jordini wrote:
Well, now that you told us the story, why read the books? That was good enough for me right there. Smile

I havn't even begun to touch the surface of the stories, you read the first chapter and you don't put them down till you've read all three.

These books are just so dang good, even a description of them is good reading. I would cite an example, but then I would be revealing too much. Like I didn't point out what illusions they used in the battle, nor how it ended, or why it is relevant to the storyline of the movie.

Perhaps one reason I enjoyed these books is because they reveal something few other books do - events that happen BEFORE the orginal movies, which is rare in Star Wars books. The Bounty Hunter books also reveal details of that paticular day. If you want to know what happens between the Clone Wars and the New Hope, these books are your best bet. This is a time period where the Empire ruled the galaxy, and there was no republic.

Quote:
On 2005-05-20 19:13, Doug Higley wrote:
Solo was a 'Trooper'? Troopers were Clones of Jango Fett...but they ran out of them and started to recruit others? What's that story?

Does it tell what happened to all the memories? Obi Wan and C3PO and R2 etc?

Obi Wan, C3PO, nor R2D2 are not in any of Han's books that I can recall. The books end on the day Han meets Luke and Ben. If you want to know what happened that day, then read the books.

My memory is fuzzy on the troopers, as the books don't address the clone wars in many details at all. I don't believe any book I've ever read reveals anything before the original movies.

Troopers were indeed recruited - Luke Skywalker had wanted to goto the accademy, but Uncle Ben insisted he wait till after harvest season. His Aunt tells Ben something like "you can't keep him here forever" ... Luke Skywalker orginally wanted to be a stromstrooper also. It was a big dream for lots of young male humans, this time period was actually one of great prosparity for the human race and most people didn't care what happened on other planets, alien planets.

JoeJoe
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I was talking with an aquaintance last fall who was a big Star Wars fan, and knew lots more about their "universe" than I did.

He told me that although in the Anakin trilogy, the clones are all of Jango Fett, actually later on, during the Luke trilogy, the stormtroopers aren't clones at all, but rather all different (unique) humans that were recruited (some even forced) into serving the Empire.

This would seem consistent with what JoeJoe just said.

Is this true?

Did the clones get killed off, or die off, or what?

Or, has George Lucas turned the tables on the story, and wants us to believe that the stormtroopers are still the clones, just in different armor? Wouldn't they be getting old by the time of Ep. IV, or do clones not age after a certain point?

Also, I didn't know the reference to the academy (Luke made in Ep. IV), was about training to become a stormtrooper (wasn't it a pilot he wanted to become?... perhaps an Empire pilot, I guess, now after reading that.) Interesting.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Human pilots were considered superior to the clones, they were recruited once thw war started. It was a space ship pilot he wanted to become, as in tie-fighters and what not.

There were some scenes that in the original movie that got cut - where Luke was talking to his best friend - his friend got accepted to the accadamy, and was off to fight for the Empire. This scene tied into the end of the triology, where Luke was suiting up for the assult on the Death Star - you may recall he hugs and greets an old friend from Tatoinie. Part of Luke's excitment was to learn that his friend had joined the Rebellion. If you search the net, you may actually find these cut scenes, I know they are online somewhere.

JoeJoe
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Quote:
On 2005-05-21 12:20, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I was talking with an aquaintance last fall who was a big Star Wars fan, and knew lots more about their "universe" than I did.

He told me that although in the Anakin trilogy, the clones are all of Jango Fett, actually later on, during the Luke trilogy, the stormtroopers aren't clones at all, but rather all different (unique) humans that were recruited (some even forced) into serving the Empire.

This would seem consistent with what JoeJoe just said.

Is this true?

Did the clones get killed off, or die off, or what?

Or, has George Lucas turned the tables on the story, and wants us to believe that the stormtroopers are still the clones, just in different armor? Wouldn't they be getting old by the time of Ep. IV, or do clones not age after a certain point?

Also, I didn't know the reference to the academy (Luke made in Ep. IV), was about training to become a stormtrooper (wasn't it a pilot he wanted to become?... perhaps an Empire pilot, I guess, now after reading that.) Interesting.

- Donald

I suppose we will find out when we watch episode 3. The clone wars begun in Episode 2, and those were all clones of Jango Fett. No telling how many of those were killed.

Curious now though, since the clones from Episode 2 are the stormtroopers in episode 4,5,6, then did they have to remain loyal to the republic after the sith became the emperor? That must be why there was a rebellion to start with. The Jedi were originally part of the republic. Then they were helping the rebellion. (Because there was only one.)

I'm curious to see whether or not they make an episode 7. There's so much more to tell.

Oh, and Joe Joe, I have the original trilogy on DVD. You think they included those cut scenes in the bonus features? I haven't watched the bonus features yet.
The Presitidigitationist
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Bigg's...Bigg's was lukes friend, yeah...there is a scene in episode IV towards the end (the new version)where they run into each other right before the assault on the Death Star.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Though one person suggested the 'clone' explanation for Leia's line to Luke:

"Kind of short for a Stormtrooper, aren't you?"

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 02:12, Justin2200 wrote:
Curious now though, since the clones from Episode 2 are the stormtroopers in episode 4,5,6, then did they have to remain loyal to the republic after the sith became the emperor? That must be why there was a rebellion to start with. The Jedi were originally part of the republic. Then they were helping the rebellion. (Because there was only one.)

I'm curious to see whether or not they make an episode 7. There's so much more to tell.

Oh, and Joe Joe, I have the original trilogy on DVD. You think they included those cut scenes in the bonus features? I haven't watched the bonus features yet.

The clones are somewhat like computers, they do exactly what they are told ... as we all know, when something does EXACTLY what they are told, problems arise (ie: bugs). The clones did not have human instincts to rely on.

Yes, there will be a #7 #8 #9 ... these movies cover Luke Skywalkers journey to the dark side. Luscas has said that he does not plan to direct them himself. There are six Dark Horse comic books that outline these movies ... I believe the book value for the set was $100 about 5 years ago, I've read them all.

I know the cut scenes (at least some of them) are on the special edition release ... I don't know about the DVD, but I can't imagine them not being there.

Quote:
Bigg's...Bigg's was lukes friend, yeah...there is a scene in episode IV towards the end (the new version)where they run into each other right before the assault on the Death Star.

That scene was actually in the orginal ROTJ - the scenes in ANH were cut. The reason he cut them? During the editing, someone told him that it gave the movie a "American Grafiti" feeling (as a compliment I believe) ... Lucas didn't want his movie to look ANYTHING like American Grafiti, thus he cut all the scenes with Luke and Biggs.

JoeJoe
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Tung Hui on Kamino in Ep2 mentions that number of clone troopers are already ready "...with a million more well on the way." They have accelerated growth, but not overnight. It's logical that many many died in The Clone Wars over the (3?) years and that over the 20+ years between Ep3 & Ep4 that many more died in combat situations, without replacement. Therefore since the Empire was ruling the ENTIRE galaxy their troopers would be spread too thin to enforce the Law.
Recruit locals as local stormtroopers and you've got an adequate number of troopers in each system. Rule By Fear, and maybe force recruitments and you've got it set.
Ep4,5,6 stormtroopers are probably a mix of held-over clone troopes and new recruits.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Han Solo Story (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL