The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Questions about tricks.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scaster
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Scaster
Hello everybody! I'm new here and would like to know a little about your peronal repertoire to the street. Like I said I haven't done a lot of this kind of stuff, but am interested on getting my "show" to a condition where I am comfortable of going before a live audience. So the thing I'm asking is that you guys out there would post out some of your favorite street tricks. (I know it's not a small thing to ask for, but I would really like to get a better hang of this.

All the best and fat hats to you all!
Scaster
...yet another spell is cast.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Cups,
Rings,
Rope,
Bill in lemon,
Straightjacket
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Cups
Rings
Rope
A few card tricks, like Las Vegas Leaper or maybe cards to pocket.
TT stuff
Chris
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I have never done any close-up magic shows on the streets even though I plan to do my first set the next weekend. That show consist of:

Prof. Nightmare
Coins across
Cups and balls (Vernon)

My big show, which I usually do, consist of:

Juggling
Linking rings
A magic water routine
Straightjacket and chain escape

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You might try the search function. The question has been asked and answered a couple of times here at the Café. For example you will find:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=6
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I start by reciting the epic poem "Stenka Razin" in the original Russian. This gathers a crowd of people who are really dedicated to magic. After that, I perform the multiple card revelation, having each person in the crowd take a card. Each card is revealed in a different way.

After that, I pass the hat.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 10:56, Harry Murphy wrote:
You might try the search function. The question has been asked and answered a couple of times here at the Café. For example you will find:

Just out of curiosity, how would you phrase the search? Not everyone thinks in Boolean terms.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Sometimes the best search is just browsing around for a while. I learn more new stuff that way, usually things I didn't even know I was looking for.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 23:30, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Sometimes the best search is just browsing around for a while. I learn more new stuff that way, usually things I didn't even know I was looking for.

This is true, but Harry suggests using the search feature to find this specific information.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Well, I don’t even know what “Boolean terms” means so I am sure that I don’t think in them (unless it means thinking visually and in color!).

Let’s see, as I read his post I saw that Scaster was asking two specific questions. He was asking about our “personal (his spelling) repertoire to the street” and what are some of “your favorite street tricks”.

So I did a search on “street act” and came up with several links one of the best I posted. In case you haven’t checked yet the title of that link/thread is “What’s in YOUR street act?” Sounds kind of like what he was looking for, yes? Boolean thinking or simply searching on the topic being asked?

I also did a search on "Favorite tricks", which gave me 57 pages of threads. So I narrowed it to just "favorite tricks" in the “The Sidewalk Shuffle” section and got only 13 hits. One of the hits was a thread titled “Your favorite street magic trick(s)”. That particular thread also sounds like what is being looked for.

By the way the link is here:

Boolean thinking? I don’t think so. Reading the question(s) being asked and searching for the topic in question. The search function seems to work on key words. I simply use the key words in a question and seem to come up with several threads.

I think that one could first look for existing threads on any given topic of interest, read them, and then if a question is not answered, ask it in the existing thread. It keeps a discussion going rather than repeating what has already been said.

But maybe that's thinking in Boolean terms.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Boolean logic is based on conditional or logical associations. You might say "This AND that", or "this AND NOT that", Or "this AND that OR thisother".

Boolean logic is basically how search engines work.

Just do search for it...Smile

Or go here for a finer definition:

http://library.albany.edu/internet/boolean.html

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 07:11, Harry Murphy wrote:
Well, I don’t even know what “Boolean terms” means so I am sure that I don’t think in them (unless it means thinking visually and in color!).

Let’s see, as I read his post I saw that Scaster was asking two specific questions. He was asking about our “personal (his spelling) repertoire to the street” and what are some of “your favorite street tricks”.

So I did a search on “street act” and came up with several links one of the best I posted. In case you haven’t checked yet the title of that link/thread is “What’s in YOUR street act?” Sounds kind of like what he was looking for, yes? Boolean thinking or simply searching on the topic being asked?

I also did a search on "Favorite tricks", which gave me 57 pages of threads. So I narrowed it to just "favorite tricks" in the “The Sidewalk Shuffle” section and got only 13 hits. One of the hits was a thread titled “Your favorite street magic trick(s)”. That particular thread also sounds like what is being looked for.

By the way the link is here:

Boolean thinking? I don’t think so. Reading the question(s) being asked and searching for the topic in question. The search function seems to work on key words. I simply use the key words in a question and seem to come up with several threads.

I think that one could first look for existing threads on any given topic of interest, read them, and then if a question is not answered, ask it in the existing thread. It keeps a discussion going rather than repeating what has already been said.

But maybe that's thinking in Boolean terms.

Since you don't know what "Boolean" means, why are you being sarcastic about it? Thanks for the information on the search, BTW.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You asked how one would phrase a search as not everyone thought in Boolean terms.

Then Dave came back suggesting the pleasures and fun of just browsing around to which you responded that I was suggesting using the Search Function to find specific information (which I was!).

To which I interjected that it is easy to use the search function just using a simple query on the subject matter (clearly not Boolean). At the time of my response I had no idea of what Boolean was maybe I did it naturally and maybe not. I didn’t know.

Well I got a couple of PMs educating me and providing me to links to Boolean Logic. Fun stuff I might add. It is clear after getting my lessons and reading the links that I don’t even come close to Boolean thinking. My thinking is more chaos like!

Back to my post, I outlined my search technique step by step. I was trying to show that it was really no big deal, no big problem, and very direct. I basically showed how simple it is to use the search function using the question being asked.

Sarcasm? Maybe! I actually thought I was being self-deprecating and funny!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, no bads!

A lot of people just don't understand how to (or even the need to) search for information. Sometimes people just think they're the first ones to come up with this information.

But you were right about the searching... I just wasn't aware how you would phrase it.

Me personally, I just search for my name and see if anyone has paid any attention to anything I've written here!
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Umm I think depending on what level your on in magic varies what tricks you need if your a beginner Svengali trick deck is the best to get. also if you are a gentle person loops by mesika cant hurt anyone. check it out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Questions about tricks.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL