The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Motivational Magic??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
A goverment agancy contacted me recently because they saw me at a trade show entertaining clients. Heres the idea: They are having a conference on taxes in June, they always have a guest speaker at the end of their day, after all the tax talk. Goverment can't hire "entertainement" so they want to promote me as a motivational magician. They know that is not what I do and they are fine with it. All they want is someone who is charismatic and wont bore the people at the end of the day (like in past years)

Anyone ever do this kind of thing? I have a few ideas but would like a little more feedback from people who actually have done it. Any help is appreciated, thanks
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
PM me as that is my primary business. I'd be happy to discuss your ideas.

Eric,

What I meant was feel free to PM me about your specific ideas for routines.

Generally speaking, I understand the position they are putting you in. Tread carefully. As long as everyone, including the top executives who will be at the meeting, are comfortable with 80-90% entertainments perhaps topped off with a light message, you should be alright.

Be very careful about how they promote you to the audience (and top brass) however. If they are expecting motivation, you need to deliver. If the audience expects motivation and you don't deliver, you are likely to suffer bad evaluations from the audience or worse yet, risk causing irreparable damage not only to yourself, but to others like me who do provide a motivational program.

With that caveat, don't be afraid to try a little motivation in your show. It could open up an entire new line of business. Find out who will be in the audience, what their pressing concerns are (i.e. where's their pain?), and develop something to address those specific needs. To succeed in this business, you have to tailor your message to the specific audience needs.

Try to avoid cliche messages that they have heard before, for example "Change is Good." If they have heard it before, you will lose credibility. Insert some original thoughts. Give them something to think about as you entertain and you will be fine. Good luck.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
Eric,

Listen to Jim - he's a "been there, done that, doing it" kind of guy! He knows what he's talking about.

Kind regards
Mike
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Eric -

There are several threads in this area (tricky business) of the Café that discuss motivational magic. Seek them out.

Here are a few to get you started:

Magic Café thread titled... Marketing Yourself as a Speaker

Magic Café thread titled... Are you a

Magic Café thread titled... Corporate magician questions

Magic Café thread titled... Secret to Getting Rich

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Eric, I have Jim's course, Success In Magic, and I have found out, when he speaks, LISTEN to him!! If you follow his advice you will never be wrong, he has aded to my net worth with his teaching.
Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Hello Eric,

I know exactly what you are talking about. Please don't bore me....

You said, "All they want is someone who is charismatic and wont bore the people at the end of the day (like in past years)"

This sad but true. Their many speakers out there getting paid to present some pretty boring programs. They may be experts on a topic but that does not make them professional speakers.

Of course that does not mean that magicians make better speakers either. It is not a magic show but it is still show business. In some cases the magician may have a better shot at making a program both motivational and not boring over the expert.

I too would be happy to help you out and discuss some ideas. Email me privately.

Steve Hart
"the Motivational Magician"
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Eric, it's not exactly true that the government is disallowed from hiring entertainment. Several years ago, I was retained to entertain at an event for the Social Security Administration, doing strolling magic at an event just outside of Washington DC. The pay was minimal, but they did pay to fly me in from Chicago, house me in a major hotel and fly me back the next morning, so your focus doesn't have to be all that seriously on the motivational message, it would seem.

However, this was about three years ago and the regulations may have changed.

Break a leg on the gig, regardless. Just remember to keep the political commentary out of any of your routines! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Lee, I don't think regulations have much to do with it; I think it is more of an issue of people who want to cover their backsides.

A few years ago, I was booked to deliver a program for a federal agency in Washington DC through the Humor Project's Speaker's Bureau. One of the conditions for getting the egagement was that we had couldn't put the Humor Project on the contract. Apparently they were nervous about somebody getting wind of this contract and complaining about the governent wasting money on a "humor consultant."

So we ran the contract through my corporation instead. If people really want your services in Washington, they will pay and bury it somehow so they won't expose themselves to criticism.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Motivational Magic??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL