The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Character profile (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
A quick question... would any of the magicians on this forum be willing to describe and/or define their character profile as a performer? By this, I'm asking if you'd be willing to write here...

1. Who are you?
This would describe the name of your character as a performer.

2. What is your history?
Where does your character come from? What have been your past experiences? What is your education? Is it the same as mine?

3. What is your personality?
Are you crazy? Are you serious? Are you funny? Are you educated? Are you an alien from outer space?

4. What do you want?
Do you want everyone to feel good? Do you want to share information? Do you want to help people understand the nature of the universe and get everything straight? Do you want to take over the world?

Do you have multiple personalities? How many? Are they friends with each other?

The sky's the limit, folks. There are no right or wrong answers.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1600 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
From the upcoming lecture notes "Making Magic Your Own"

Who is "Big Daddy Cool?"
"Big Daddy Cool" was created by accident. I began acting, singing, and learning magic around the age of 9. As I progressed, drama and music became integrated for me, but magic always remained a segregated art. As a freshman in high school, I had opportunity to see magician Harry Anderson perform. His slick con man style fascinated me, and I began to model my magic act in a similar fashion. A year later I was cast as a member of the legendary jazz vocal group the Hi-Los. This was an incredible experience as jazz and swing music was my favorite style of music. I would remain in that group for four years, performing vocal jazz and swing all over the US, and eventually capturing the World Championship at the International Vocal Jazz Festival in Quebec, Canada. Throughout this period of time I continued to develop my magic persona and eventually appeared on A&E’s "AN Evening at the Improv". At this point I was simply using my given name, but "Big Daddy Cool" was about to be born.
It was at a cast party, and someone commented "you’re Cool". I responded with "yeah, Big Daddy Cool". The name stuck and I would use it through out the next several years.
But "Big Daddy Cool" vanished for several years, as my career took a dramatic turn with weight loss in excess of 100 lbs. A mysterious, romantic magician replaced the slick, comical, con man. After all, a 188-LB "Big Daddy" seemed kind of silly. With this transformation there also came a change of musical styles. I became very interested in pop music and fronted several pop music groups. I would return to swing music on occasion, most prominently as a principal performer with the Schussy Cats, but pop remained my primary focus. My interest in jazz and swing was revived somewhat with the release of the film "The Mask."
In 1994 I had decided to move to Nashville to pursue a career in the Pop Gospel Music industry, but during a run of the pop music review "It Takes Two" I suffered an injury to my ankle that would eventually set the stage for "Big Daddy’s" return. I could not walk for nearly 5 months due to the injury and I immediately gained 30 pounds.
But, as I healed I continued to pursue my music career as the lead singer of the pop group Legacy. The group lasted only two years having only moderate success. Then "it" happened. On a late evening in August my wife and I were driving home and were struck by an unconscious driver. The accident injured my back. The pain became so severe that I just could not continue to exercise. I gained another 80 pounds rapidly.
For the next year and a half I would sink into a deep depression, only performing periodically. But, I found myself listening to my first love, swing, more and more. I resolved that I would form a swing band, the Swing Cats. I also decided to re-visit the con man magician character. I dusted off the hat, and "Big Daddy Cool" was re-born. The plan was that "Big Daddy Cool" would front the Swing Cats and perform magic in restaurants and clubs. For the next year I focused on the development of the character of "Big Daddy Cool". While working on a studio project with the Gospel group Hand of Mercy, another piece of "Big Daddy’s" character would be established. The producer dubbed me De La Rocka, which, when said quickly sounds like Dellarocca. At that moment, "Big Daddy’s" given name would be John Dellarocca.
After a year of development and planning, "Big Daddy Cool" John Dellarocca was ready to debut. The first performance would be a test of the commercial appeal of the Cool One. I opened up for TOP 20 CCM artist Jamie Slocum at a statewide youth conference. As expected the over-40 crowd responded with immense enthusiasm. This is my target demographic so that was encouraging. The surprise however came from the teens in the crowd. Their reaction to my performance was equally enthusiastic. As I came off stage a group of teen-age girls met me and said they wanted to hear more. I knew I had a hit. The next day "Big Daddy Cool" competed in a national magic competition. I was up against some of the best in the business, and this was the first time I would be competing. I placed 3rd out of 20. This served as another sign that "Big Daddy Cool" was on his way. After the competition, I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Rebecque De Fontes, then one half of a very popular theatrical magic team. She loved my act and we "sessioned" late into the night sharing ideas. At the end of our time, I had finally figured out how to integrate "Big Daddy Cool" the singer, and "Big Daddy Cool" the magician. That is when the concept for a variety show starring "Big Daddy Cool & The Swing Cats" was realized.
So who is this character called "Big Daddy Cool?" He is the antithesis to the conceptions of modern pop culture. He is the opposite of how today’s media would portray him. Watch TV shows and movies today, heavy-set men and women are portrayed as dim witted, lazy, undesirable, and generally in the way. They serve as the comedic foils that rarely receive reward or recognition. "Big Daddy Cool" sets that perception on its ear. He is smart, strong, funny, ambitious, aggressive, big hearted, generous, cool and sexy. He is not these because he thinks so, but because everyone else around him thinks so. He is the kind of guy that every man wants to be like, and every girl wants to be with. Everything he touches "turns to gold." So let’s look at this "Cool One"...

Character Bio
Known Aliases: Big Daddy Cool, The Cool One, Johnny Cool, Johnny D.
Occupation: Night Club owner, entertainer, and reluctant gangster.
Marital Status: Single
Known Relatives: Tony (Father), Carol (Mother), Jimmy, Mickey (Brothers), Jenny (Sister), Sam (Uncle).
History: John Dellarocca was born in 1920 in Youngstown, Ohio, the oldest of three brothers. John was fascinated with becoming an entertainer, and studied every form of entertainment he could: music, dance, magic, and acting. Like most children of blue collar ethnic families, John and his brothers were scrappy fighters, and everyone on the block knew to never mess with the Dellarocca brothers. His father Tony was a small time con man who was rumored to have ties to the Mafia. Tony Dellarocca refused to bend to the mob, and as a result was killed. As a matter of fact, the entire family was targeted. Only John survived. He swore that he would get revenge and at 14 set out to find the killers.
His quest took him to Chicago, but instead of finding the killers he found himself on the streets picking pockets and running swindles. One afternoon he was caught in the act while trying to pick the pocket of Tommy Sims, one of Chicago’s leading mob bosses. Tommy was actually impressed with the kid’s boldness and took him under his wing. At the time, John thought Sims was just a club owner. It became apparent that he was far more. Sims was the one of the bosses of Chicago. Sims also pledged to Johnny that he would help him find the men who murdered his family. He was quickly accepted as one of Sims’ inner circle, and became a visible part of the Chicago mob.
But Dellarocca’s heart was on stage, and Sims gave John his first big break. Sims allowed him to perform magic as the warm-up act at his club, the Sugar Shack. John did that for three years. Then one night the lead singer of the band walked out, and John convinced Sims to let him front the band. Sims agreed and the rest is history. Success came quickly for John Dellarocca: records, movies, national tours, his own radio show. He went on a tour of Europe and came back an international superstar. His trademark was his unique blend of music and magic. He appeared with Basie, Dorsey, Ellington, and Miller. John has formed strong bonds with many of the entertainment industries biggest stars and counts among his friends Greta Garbo, Joe DiMaggio, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Cab Calloway, Joey Bishop, and Marlene Dietrich.
One night, just as the band was finishing up their last set at the club, Tony Grieco and his men burst into the club set on taking over. Dellarocca got out of the line of fire and escaped. Sims wasn’t so lucky. He was the intended target, and Greico took him out. Then Greico declared himself the boss of bosses, and that he was taking over Chicago. Also killed that night was Johnny’s best girl Tahloola Jones, who was backstage playing cards with the other showgirls.
Dellarocca refused to follow Tony Greico, and since he had always been loyal to Sims out of obligation, he saw this incident as a way to break free of the mob and become his own man. He left Chicago as part of an USO Tour during WWII. Rumors swirled that he was running away from Greico. He took several breaks from touring to film movies and record albums.
Dellarocca stayed away from Chicago until the end of WWII. Then he returned he returned to settle down and opened his own club, The Chicago Roxy. Right away trouble started with Greico, who was not pleased that Dellarocca was back and running a smokin’ club. Despite his desire to leave the mob behind him, he instead found himself dragged right back into that lifestyle. In an effort to keep his livelihood afloat, Dellarocca was forced to take sides against Greico and form his own organization of outlaws and gangsters. He fights against Greico’s organization, but shares the spoils gained with the surrounding neighborhood, becoming somewhat of a Robin Hood type character. The people of East Chicago love him and have become loyal supporters. His celebrity continues to grow, and the Roxy continues to play host to the top celebrity entertainers. But Dellarocca knows that a final showdown with Grieco is coming. It is only a matter of time…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This "history" is constantly in the background and under the surface when I perform. The audience only gets to see a glimpse of this however. But it is this attention to detail that can really bring a character to life.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

That was frigid. Thanks for sharing, Big Man.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Frigid?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Way cool.

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm into close up, mostly for adults, and my character is not very different from the real me.

The partial lie:
I'm a guy who was brought up in a mid-sized, east coast city who has picked up some street smarts and sleight of hand skills from the denizens of smokey pool halls and the backrooms of taverns.
Not liking the idea of incarceration, I was eventually influenced to do only good deeds by my Wiccan grandmother. I've evolved from greaser to hippie type to husband, father and grandfather.

Hopefully I come off as someone friendly, witty and magically skillful who wants to have fun.
I can be serious one moment a goofy the next.
I don't know if this would be considered a split personality but if it is;
they both both watch TV and go places together without much arguing.

How about you Patrick??
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Bear in mind that this is a work in progress:

He was raised in a small town that was shrouded in supersition. He never knew his real parents and was raised by his aunt and uncle. The specifics of his parents' demise were kept from him and he believed they were killed in an accident. Technically that was true, but it wasn't a car accident as he had been told.

The people of the town regarded him with caution. He could feel their eyes burning into the back of his head and hear the murmured whispers as he walked down the streets. There was something about his family's past that he wasn't allowed to know, but it was obvious that his family's past had affected the town deeply and permanently.

Small miracles came naturally to him at a very young age, but he quickly learned to hide that fact from everyone else, including his aunt and uncle. His abilities were treated as a profanity when one day his aunt spied him doing what was impossible for a "normal" person. He was quickly reprimanded and told never to do these things again. The fear in his aunt's voice was obvious even to this five year old boy. What was not clear were his aunt's frantic whispers to his uncle. "He's got it, just like his father did"."It's started. What shall we do?".

He soon learned to discern these things that he and he alone could do, and as quickly learned to hide these things from sight of everyone else... but he couldn't stop the forces growing within him. Perhaps if there had been some guidance, some nurturing in the early days, his fate would have been different. But this was a town of supression and repression. This was a town that preferred to forget the past instead of facing it. And as a result the town was doomed to repeat history.

It took him years, well into his early adulthood, to accept that what happened was not his fault. He still had no clear understanding of his family's past and of these gifts he had inherited from his father... or was it a curse? The only thing that was clear from this whole mystery was his uncle's advice on the day he left, the day after history repeated itself in his small town. "Run. Never return. Vanish. Forget this place.".

What better place for a young man to vanish in than the big city? He swore to never use his strange abilities again. The risk was too great. But when fear, poverty and hunger conspire against a young man who has been treated as a freak his entire life, the temptation is too great. Unfortunately, by eliminating these base desires so easily, ego takes over. The need for food and shelter quickly gives way to the lust for wealth and power. Fortunately for him another force makes itself known. Love.

Before he has a chance to wander too far down the path of his own destruction he encounters the love of his life. And for the first time ever he can finally share the burden that he has carried alone all of his life. She teaches him that he is gifted, not cursed. Together they discover that lacking a mentor he has to become his own mentor. To learn and understand his gifts, and to lay down his own set of ground rules. And for years they are together, building a "normal" life and at the same time continuing the development and refinement of his gifts. Fortunately for him, that process is completed before he is faced with the next challenge, one that he cannot defeat even with his special gifts. That challenge is loss.

After her death he deals with what everyone else would deal with, only he has an additional layer of problems. His gifts would allow him to overreact to the normal processes of anger, denial, sadness etc. But her memory and the things they discovered together keep him on track. He resists the temptation to lash out like he did on that last day in his small town. The loss of the love of his life proves to be the ultimate test of his development into a fully integrated person. He has learned to accept both his uniqueness and his normalcy, and has learned to respect both. He now has a code and set of ground rules to live by. She saved his life before losing hers. Perhaps it was her fate to stop the vicious cycle from repeating itself as it had done for centuries.
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
HI
1. Who are you?
I just use my own name Dannielle; I think it’s too hard to do a different name because I want my audience to get to know me on a personal level instead of just a performer. But just because I use my own name doesn’t mean that if you se a different name that the audience can’t get to know you better on a personal level as that’s not the case at all. I just prefer to do it that way and I perform for teenagers so they don’t think I’m a loony at my school because if I have a weird name I’d get teased. Not that having a name like that is weird or anything but, at our school I’d be teased by a name like that.

2. What is your history?
My characters history is mysterious. I don’t like my audience to know my history (as a performer) I like to think I’m a down to earth magician BUT I’m very mysterious in certain ways.

My personality is: just really casual, I keep to myself as the magician but I’m still very friendly. I’m not really serious at all and as for funny, I chuck a few jokes here and there while performing but I don’t set out to be a funny magician. I dress in long black pants, a beautiful white laced shirt and a cape. I also always wear a hat and always have a wand as if I’m doing a show I never perform with out my wand unless I’m in the school yard, but in that case I use a stick or something. I like the style of clothing I wear because I think it makes people realise that I am a magician, not that if people who don’t wear costumes aren’t but I prefer too.

4. What do you want?
I want my audience to walk away going “how did she do that” and not to be freaked out by some of the tricks. And just for them generally to have had a good time.

Thanks everyone for listening to my ways. I had fun explaining and “Big Daddy Cool” you have a unique personality and I admire that.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Depending on the show, I'm a pompous comedian, who thinks he knows how all the props operate but, "magically", they prove to have a "mind of their own".
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Peter, I like the idea of what I consider alienating yourself from the magic.
Having a spectator feel that they did the magic or using a stories like Vernon did in "Cutting the Aces" take the heat off somewhat.

When I do "Triumph" I tell a story about a jerk who grabbed the cards and messed them up. This does two things for me. Because of the language I use, it keeps other jerks at bay (hopefullY). It takes the focus off me and focuses on the jerk I'm portraying. I like to open card sets with this.

Your turn Patrick.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What a great way for us to get to know each other! Allow me to moderately tweak this thread. To give my Comic Book Show the proper motivation, I concocted a back story for, not my character, but my company. Let's say it's fiction based in fact, and largely tongue-in-cheek! Originally, it was on my website, but I took it down, as it seemed a bit dark and more like a blog rant. Anyway, here it is...

OUR HISTORY - As We Tell It
(Ok... we did stretch the truth.)

In the beginning ~ The Magic Company... a legacy of great magic

As you'll soon come to realize, the legacy of The Magic Company is older than recorded history. How can we be sure this is true? Well, magic has been around for a long time... almost as long as people have been on the Earth. Try to imagine one of the first times a magic trick was attempted. Probably a simple deception; one human attempting to gain the upper hand over an adversary, be it another human, or possibly an animal. Theoretically, that person would have become one of the first magicians. Whether used for defense, a show of strength and power, or simply a ruse to hide their true emotions or motives, some form of deception was used in a calculated sense to achieve a particular goal (We can safely assume this was not done to entertain!).

From the time it occurred to that first someone to perform some deception (create an illusion/do a trick), whatever that may have been, we can only assume that they intended to do it correctly. There was something to be gained; be it the next meal, control over another entity, or simple survival. If the deeds or actions used to do that first trick were deemed significant by witnesses, either winning their admiration, or turning them into subordinates, it likely occurred to someone else that they might also enjoy the fruits of such an effort by doing what the first person did. Thus, the rip-off artist was born... the copycat, the pirate of intellectual property!

The originality and uniqueness of the first person's efforts were immediately diminished by 50% with the addition of a second person. It was further diminished to a third when another person joined the game. In fact, each time a new imitator appeared, the effectiveness of the first person's efforts became less... and this is assuming that each of these imitators were equal in their efforts. Are we still together here? Good!

The beginning of the end ~ attack of the bottom feeders

Now granted, at that long-ago time, the motive for imitation was often only survival, rather than power or control, but let's examine how its evolution translates to modern times, a time when originallity and creativity are the source of a person's bread and butter... and how theft of intellectual property has a darker side. Let's imagine, and this isn't hard to do, that somewhere down that line, another person, far less ambitious, decided to cut corners on the same process, in the hopes that they could receive the same benefits as bestowed upon the originator, but with far less work, creative effort, time, or expense.

To think this may be an isolated incident is the epitome of naiveté. There are more of these nest-foulers than one should have to think about. It should be coming clear that the standard of good magic has been effectively lowered by these corner-cutters, bottom-feeders and otherwise useless coattail riders. Look around... this same thing is happening in many other areas of our lives, too.

Bad magic has not only been perpetuated by the moronic dealings of bad magicians (and we aren't referring to those with less skill, as we believe their hearts may be pure; only those who can do better, but choose not to), it has also been helped along by an unwitting public. With constant exposure to sub-standard magic, the public is "tricked" into becoming the pawn in this game of undoings. It is the public who feeds the perpetuation of these hacks by believing that nothing better exists. The sad thing is... the public doesn't know any better... they are being tricked... and it certainly isn't their fault. (Certainly, we can see similar trends happening in other areas of our lives.)

A plea for help as the problem grows ~ (we are spreading it thicker here, too, folks!)

This is where The Magic Company holds a distinction. Here is a company whose sole purpose for existence is to save the world from this mind-polluting malady. But The Magic Company needs your help.

Don't succumb to "Global Deceptions"

Unfortunately, the once individual efforts of the bad magicians are rapidly being organized into a collective army of soul-damaging tricky people. This is happening under the tyranic doings of an unspeakable villian... a mega conglomerate known as "Global Deceptions".

The Magic Company has suspected for years that the genesis of this world-wide threat was an inevitable certainty. That day is here and the future of magic looks grim, but it is not too late!

A plan of action ~ only accept the best

How can we stop this from happening, and free ourselves from "Global Deceptions"? By constantly looking for what is pure in magic. We must regain our ability to find the epicenter of magic and its point of wonder and astonishment. We must tell ourselves that bigger is not always better, that new and different does not always mean worthy of our time and attention... that reality shock, including the irresponsible exposure of magical secrets is not entertainment, but rather, a fuel for bloodlust.

The Magic Company is dedicated to informing the public of these deceptions, revealing the enemy for who he really is, and saving the world from a fate worse than powder-blue leisure suit tuxedos. However, "Global Deceptions" is not taking this lying down. They will most likely fight us at every turn. They already have a history of some shady dealings that have caused many problems for The Magic Company.

Prepare for the worst ~ it's Murphy's Law (and a really tall tale!)

Recently, Michael Baker, head of The Magic Company was performing a show when a trick went wrong. This is truly not a problem, as anyone can make a mistake. Things can go wrong, and sometimes do. It's Murphy's Law. On this particular occasion, Michael averted the potential embarrassment caused by this, by simply having planned ahead for such an accident. The problem was effectively avoided and the show continued on to a successful conclusion. Michael was promptly arrested and charged with breaking Murphy's Law.

"A law is a law", said the judge, who went on to pass sentence and impose a fine. It was later discovered that the judge was dirty. He was actually a paid "Man-on-the-inside", working for "Global Deceptions".

A bright future & a new beginning ~ The Magic Company saves the day!

These types of scary incidents are more common than one might initially think. The problem is here and it's a growing threat. But with the continued effort of people like you, and the dedication to the art of magic shown by the likes of The Magic Company, the world stands a great chance of being a place where our children and grandchildren may enjoy a truly wonderful magic show!

The Magic Company can be found just past the edge of your imagination. It is easily identified by the workshop light that seems to stay on continuously, and by the large treehouse in the back where Michael's protégé, Raven lives. Come visit us sometime. The easiest route to take is the wormhole through the universe provided by this website. We'd be glad to have you!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

In Strong Magic, Darwin Ortiz wrote that characters/personas aren't created. Instead they evolve. That really makes a lot of sense to me.

Here is a snapshot of my persona when I'm performing. My performing character is deeply rooted in my real person. However, I've taken the liberty to embellish it here and there.

I'm 42 years old, but I look about 30ish. I have blond hair with streaks of grey around the back of my head and my ears. These days I'm wearing a moustache and gotee. I weigh about 170 pounds.

My education is eclectic. I'm highly independant and have taught myself most of what I know. I'm familiar with and have a working knowledge of Physics, Chemestry, Math, Fine Arts, Political Science, Music, Speech, Theater (technical and drama), Anthropology, Astronomy, and Astrology. I'm an adventurer and a traveler, and started at the tender age of 10. I've had and used up 4 US passports so far, and I'm working on my 5th. I've been to many, many places in this world, and met many, many people, most good, some not so good. I'm fluent in English and Spanish and conversant in German, French, and Korean. I've worked as a cook, truck driver, writer, gambler, casino manager, magician, fortune teller, smuggler, and inventor. I'm a gaming cross-roader and actually pretty good at catching the bad guys. I've been approached by various government agencies for other odd jobs, namely those types of jobs that really don't exist. I've turned down those jobs because I'm an honest man. That, and because I don't want my name on the homepage of the Darwin Awards.

In my travels, I've collected stories and experiences of magic and mystery, because I believe that magic and mystery is what consciously and subconsciously motivates mankind. Magic and mystery are my passions, and it's these stories that I want to share with you, so that you too will feel motivated.

I'm an observer and information gatherer. I'm usually pretty quiet unless I'm telling the stories. I'm an avid fan of subtle humor and quick wit and I will chuckle for days over something that tickles me. And I will remember it for years. I am a friend of friends and a great lover of life and all things living. I believe in possibilities, and am quite aware of probabilities. I can tell how people feel just by standing next to them. I'll stop everything to hear a good joke.

I'm the guy living two doors down from you that is always tinkering on something in the garage. When you come to visit, I cover it up with a tarp, and offer you a beer. The garage has a four inch drain on the floor.

This is my character. I'm a story-teller. I base my stories in fact and work towards discovery. I like stories of magic that surprise and mystify. All my scripting has evolved around this character of knowledge, subtle humor, surprise, and mystery. I'm flexible in knowledge, humor and surprise. I take no quarter when it comes to the mystery part.

Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Name: Dr. Stephen Midnight
Title origin: an alleged doctorate in metaphysics conferred by Miskatonic University in 1989, an institution found only in Lovecraftian literature.
Age: 48 if asked for 'legal' reasons; 468 if asked privately.
History: Unclear. The good doctor appears either in the role of a medieval mountebank or a modern metaphysician, as the situation demands. He seems knowledgeable of 'gentry' life in Elizabethan England.

Personality: Affable, but with a dark, ominous streak. He seems not to take what he does too seriously on the one hand, sometimes referring to his feats as 'wonderful humbugs,' and yet displays burning seriousness and intensity DURING some of his experiments. He also discusses 'the supernatural' with a mixed air of an armchair folklorist and an 'active authority.' He is very Socratic, often seeming to challenge people's preconceived notions of reality; referring to the 'elusive' objective reality and the far-reaching subjective realities. His opinion of worldly institutions seems to be one of gentle disregard; affably dismissing them as nonsensical manifestations of subjective reality only.
His speech and behavior reflect a paradoxical mix of sincere wisdom and calculated quackery. It is as if he deliberately attempts to prevent people from getting a keen view of him...or of reality. Surrealism in the 'real' world.
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I've seen a couple of people mention that their character's history is "mysterious" or "unknown". If that's all you've decided on for your character, then you are missing out.

While the history of your character will almost certainly be unknown to your audience, you owe it to yourself to have a more detailed description. The reason for this is that the character should *definitely* known what his own history is. Unless he's an amnesiac, he will know where he came from -- if only to so that he can keep it a secret from everyone else.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 18:30, JimMaloney wrote:
I've seen a couple of people mention that their character's history is "mysterious" or "unknown". If that's all you've decided on for your character, then you are missing out.

While the history of your character will almost certainly be unknown to your audience, you owe it to yourself to have a more detailed description. The reason for this is that the character should *definitely* known what his own history is. Unless he's an amnesiac, he will know where he came from -- if only to so that he can keep it a secret from everyone else.

-Jim

Very good!! This also motivates the character in virtually every other way.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Actually, I DO get the point. What I describe is what the public sees.
The character is shaped and motivated by my actual experiences and backround.
Which is?
For me to know...

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
Honestly my character is me.
Name: Paulie
History: I am someone who has spent way to much alone with a deck of cards, way to much money and has way to much time on his hand.
Personality: I am a fun loving magician, I throw a few one liners in there every now again for a chuckle. Basically as long as you are having fun, enjoying the show that is all that I care about. I also like to keep the magician alive, my attire will either consist of white tales, or sunday casual (depends on the show). I don't try to over present it as actual magic, more just sleight of hand, I leave it up to my audience to decide if I have some magical powers or if I someone who is very lonley.
Leaving them: I want people to leave with a smile on their face wondering how in teh world did he pull that off. I want them to leave feeling happy and experiencing somthing new.

Plain, basic and simple; you know that pretty much describes me.

Paul
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 19:33, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Actually, I DO get the point. What I describe is what the public sees.
The character is shaped and motivated by my actual experiences and backround.
Which is?
For me to know...

As long as you know, that's all that matters! Smile

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
The Truth Is Out There, somewhere.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Excellent thread Patrick, Thank you
Have sincerely enjoyed reading some of the posts here

For a good exercise here's the rough up on a new character I'm working on in a two person show, not much magic but a lot of comedy
We film our first short this upcoming Thursday

1. Who are you?
Vick the Fallen Angel (on occasion Fallen looks like stumbling)

2. What is your history?
Vick the Fallen Angel just appeared one day. "poof" From everywhere and nowhere all at once
Vick the Fallen Angel showed up and made Captain Silver a deal
http://www.thecaptainsilver.com
Blackbeard, Black Bart Roberts, even Henry Morgan cannot claim what Silver has! Life! T'was the cost of surviving the golden age of piracy as well as being able to travel time to the now.

How is this possible? Well if you met Silver, you likely have noticed Vick the Fallen Angel. Vick the Fallen Angel made Silver a deal that Silver could not refuse, life in the present, all history of Silver's exploits erased; which of course is part of why Silver is alive. Even after three hundred years His Royal Majesties Navy still has Silver's description

No one knows the Deal between Vick and Silver, In fact sometimes they have a go at each other (when not boozing, carousing, thieving and having fun)
It pits Vick's magic against Silver's Science
Examples when Silver pulls his sword on Vick it catches fire, when Silver pulls his pistol on Vick, Vick produces a single Silver ball which turns into two and tells Silver it's not nice to point a gun at someone who has you by the balls and then the gun points itself while still in Silver's hand back at Silver

Full gamut of emotions. From brighting a 5 year old child's face on Fair day (Vick can't stand to see unhappy children's face especially on Fair day) to extremely charming (the more drinks you buy the more charming he gets) to a fierce arrogant B%$@&*%d (cross the circle or family and find out in an instant). Oh and all points in between

When Vick is told he looks like a Fallen Angel or Satan, Vick will tell you he knows nothing of your God or Devil and asks you kindly keep your superstitions to yourself

Tell Vick you'll see him tomorrow and he'll tell you that day isn't on his calendar and when you next meet it will be today. Vick only exists in the present and for that much you might just be a figment or he may be. Who knows, the only thing is who's buying the next round

Extreme appetites for pleasure, when you're worn out from having fun Vick will tell you we're just getting warmed up

4. What do you want?
What does every man want? Well, we want that and then more seeing as we're not everyman
First, we want our Bar Tab paid (in our case this can be substantial), really we want to drink for free. That and share/spread smiles and fun. Of course Hot Wenches are a given. Did I mention our bar tab?
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Character profile (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL